Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

UCLA intrigues Hoiberg but does Hoiberg intrigue UCLA.  He is probably a candidate but certainly no slam dunk as their choice depending on who else is available.  I remember a rumor a couple of years ago that they liked Earl Watson when he was coaching the Suns. There could be some high profile interest in that job which comes with living in LA. 

Old article so maybe it was covered here some time ago.   Wonder if Alford had checked out as it appears he called about the Xavier job.  It also mentioned Sean miller was interested. 

https://gojoebruin.com/2018/03/30/ucla-basketball-steve-alford-allegedly-reached-out-xavier/

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I guess it’s within anyone’s rights to pile on one of our own. Happened with Benson as well. 

Not sure what the point is. I wonder if a kid thinking about coming to IU wouldn’t at least take pause when guys who played their hearts out for us are basically thrown under the bus?

I don’t see where there is anything to be had by piling on Alford. He’s not coming to IU, which is what we all feared at one point. Yeah, he’s not necessarily a good guy, but maybe it would make sense to take the high road, shut our collective mouths, and let whatever happens, happen.

Just because he played at IU doesnt mean I want to support an arrogant pompous jerk that is willing to cover up sexual assaults an treat people like second class citizens.

Poor character is poor character. So I am happy driving that bus.

I guess it’s within anyone’s rights to pile on one of our own. Happened with Benson as well. 

Not sure what the point is. I wonder if a kid thinking about coming to IU wouldn’t at least take pause when guys who played their hearts out for us are basically thrown under the bus?

I don’t see where there is anything to be had by piling on Alford. He’s not coming to IU, which is what we all feared at one point. Yeah, he’s not necessarily a good guy, but maybe it would make sense to take the high road, shut our collective mouths, and let whatever happens, happen.

In Alford's case, it's not what he accomplished on the court, but what happened afterwards.  Started out fine in Missouri. Trouble set in at Iowa.  Butted heads with the administration over a number of things. Treated the fans poorly.  And of course there was one famous incident, that did nothing good for his reputation.  Steve got a reprieve at New Mexico. The fans loved him.  And probably would still love him to today.  As many have said, Steve had a good thing going at New Mexico, and should have stayed there.

Benson was a different story.  Great player.  But from multiple accounts over the years on this board and others.... treated people poorly off the court.  If anyone deserves piling on, it would be Kent, IMHO.  Again, Steve's situation is different. And I honestly don't see IU people piling on.... other than stating the obvious.  Should anyone want to see piling on in terms of Alford... I invite people to visit the UCLA boards. 

Of course, we could talk about Dakich and Knight.  A couple of other stories that have been hashed and rehashed.  Won't go into them again, as of now.

I get where you are coming from.  However, with all that is going on at IU presently.... a renovated home, a dedicated practice facility, and a coach who living up to a promise to lock up the state, and bringing in top notch talent..... I honestly don't think the other "stuff" has any impact on IU's recruiting at all.

UCLA Basketball: The Truth About the Steve Alford Buyout - Bruins Nation

23 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Just because he played at IU doesnt mean I want to support an arrogant pompous jerk that is willing to cover up sexual assaults an treat people like second class citizens.

Poor character is poor character. So I am happy driving that bus.

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In Alford's case, it's not what he accomplished on the court, but what happened afterwards.  Started out fine in Missouri. Trouble set in at Iowa.  Butted heads with the administration over a number of things. Treated the fans poorly.  And of course there was one famous incident, that did nothing good for his reputation.  Steve got a reprieve at New Mexico. The fans loved him.  And probably would still love him to today.  As many have said, Steve had a good thing going at New Mexico, and should have stayed there.

Benson was a different story.  Great player.  But from multiple accounts over the years on this board and others.... treated people poorly off the court.  If anyone deserves piling on, it would be Kent, IMHO.  Again, Steve's situation is different. And I honestly don't see IU people piling on.... other than stating the obvious.  Should anyone want to see piling on in terms of Alford... I invite people to visit the UCLA boards. 

Of course, we could talk about Dakich and Knight.  A couple of other stories that have been hashed and rehashed.  Won't go into them again, as of now.

I get where you are coming from.  However, with all that is going on at IU presently.... a renovated home, a dedicated practice facility, and a coach who living up to a promise to lock up the state, and bringing in top notch talent..... I honestly don't think the other "stuff" has any impact on IU's recruiting at all.

UCLA Basketball: The Truth About the Steve Alford Buyout - Bruins Nation

Sorry, guys. Although I am certain that your opinions are the more accepted/popular ones here, I am just not going to cast stones.

None of us are perfect. Most of us don’t have our lives dissected under a microscope or judged by the court of public opinion.

IU is in good hands with CAM. I just think that the other stuff should just be let go 

Sorry, guys. Although I am certain that your opinions are the more accepted/popular ones here, I am just not going to cast stones.

None of us are perfect. Most of us don’t have our lives dissected under a microscope or judged by the court of public opinion.

IU is in good hands with CAM. I just think that the other stuff should just be let go 

I respect where you’re coming from completely, also respect where they’re coming from also. 

I don’t need to go on and on about Benson and Alford but I’d never defend them and if anyone asked my opinion of them they’d hear it loud and clear.

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I respect where you’re coming from completely, also respect where they’re coming from also. 

I don’t need to go on and on about Benson and Alford but I’d never defend them and if anyone asked my opinion of them they’d hear it loud and clear.

Understand.

I am not defending either of them.

Just not going to blast them.

According to reports, UCLA had every intention of allowing Steve to coach the entire season, when the season began. However, recent upset losses caused influential donors to put pressure on the administration to pull the plug now.  Reports also, that much of Sunday were spent with Steve, in renegotiation his $2.6 million buyout ( shades of Kelvin Sampson).

I think all of us would love to have had his college playing career and all the money he has made coaching Division 1 programs.  The fact that he wasn't good enough to win at a high level at UCLA puts him in the same category as all current Division 1 head coaches, other than a couple of handful of elite coaches.  I don't think anyone is insulting a former IU great by saying they were not good enough to win at UCLA.  I am sure Steve will land on his feet and have success at another program, albeit less high profile than UCLA.

2 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Billy Donavan is at the top of the list,Ucla could swing for the fences here...Rick Pitino could be asked to finish the season.....Better change thread title too ALFORD FIRED.

I heard that Billy's car was spotted parked near the UCLA athletic department offices.

I'll just go ahead and throw my 2 cents in on this one. Growing up in Chicago in late 70's and 80's as a kid besides loving IU....we always loved watching Depaul play. For those that don't remember they were once a gold standard in hoops. The administration up there is a total joke and has been kicking it's fans in the face for years. There's another well known poster on here who is far more dialed in at Depaul....but to me this is the perfect time for them to make a move and get a guy like Alford. Obvious ties to the Midwest. Good conference. Can just get back to good old fashion hoops in an area that produces a ton of talent that consistently leaves the area. 

Archived