Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In all seriousness, why in the flipping World does anyone think Donovan would want to leave the Thunder, who are doing very well and realistically in competition for the top of the West, to coach UCLA???? Why would anyone think that?

It's UCLA?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In all seriousness, why in the flipping World does anyone think Donovan would want to leave the Thunder, who are doing very well and realistically in competition for the top of the West, to coach UCLA???? Why would anyone think that?

Not to mention the nightlife and social opportunities in OKC far exceed those of LA.

I mean, in OKC he gets to hang out with Paul George!!!!  LA can't match that.

Throw in the constant  tornado threat of OKC and LA simply cannot compete from an excitement perspective.

15 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I'd go get Pitino to finish out the season.   There is enough talent on that team that he could turn the season around.   UCLA will be hard pressed to find anybody until April.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Really?  Pitino?  Really?

25 minutes ago, rico said:

Really?  Pitino?  Really?

Well I wouldn't want him but... the guy can coach.  And as far as baggage...The NCAA won't do squat with the UofL crap.  And if they do it'll be years from now and most likely slick Rick won't be touched.   Make him the interim coach and don't waste the season.

Go Hoosiers!!!

17 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Agreed! Slick Rick will never coach a respectable college program again..

Since when was ucla respectable?  

Cheaters love cheaters.  He would be a nice bridge because there are a bunch of young, still trying to prove themselves type of coaches out there that would still be a gamble.  

Would Jay Wright jump coasts?  Doubt it.  Bennet, too vanilla.  Watson, what has he proven?  Hoiberg, would probably do a good job but sounds like he prefers NBA.  Musselman, still a gamble. 

I'm predicting hoiberg but you can't go wrong with slick rick out west.  

20 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Just because he played at IU doesnt mean I want to support an arrogant pompous jerk that is willing to cover up sexual assaults an treat people like second class citizens.

Poor character is poor character. So I am happy driving that bus.

Calm down. 😉

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not to mention the nightlife and social opportunities in OKC far exceed those of LA.

I mean, in OKC he gets to hang out with Paul George!!!!  LA can't match that.

Throw in the constant  tornado threat of OKC and LA simply cannot compete from an excitement perspective.

What about Billy Donovan indicates he would want to live in a major city like LA? 

Larry Brown is 78 years old. Who would want to hire a 78 year old coach, with a very questionable past ? John Wooden retired at the age of 64.  For that matter, what coach in his right mind would want to coach UCLA (regardless of the money thrown to him), knowing he could get axed  mid-season after  just13 games? UCLA should not have caved into immediate donor pressure.... and just ridden the wave out till the end of the season.  All the while lining up the perfect replacement, rather than treading water with an interim replacement.  Think Wilkes would have committed to an interim replacement ?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't think that especially mid-season. Still, If he has desires to go back to college this would be a good opportunity to walk away from a 1 year deal during the off season. Then the question is would UCLA wait. He'd likely win immediately.  I just don't know that he wants to return to college. 

I could certainly see him loving the idea of NBA coaching in NY city much more once he becomes a FA NBA coach in 2020.  Brooklyn is close to turning it around with some nice young players and about to be a factor in the luring of free agents.  

59 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Larry Brown is 78 years old. Who would want to hire a 78 year old coach, with a very questionable past ? John Wooden retired at the age of 64.  For that matter, what coach in his right mind would want to coach UCLA (regardless of the money thrown to him), knowing he could get axed  mid-season after  just13 games? UCLA should not have caved into immediate donor pressure.... and just ridden the wave out till the end of the season.  All the while lining up the perfect replacement, rather than treading water with an interim replacement.  Think Wilkes would have committed to an interim replacement ?

No question, it's usually preferable to let a coach go after the season, but I don't think UCLA had a choice.  I'd submit that the current UCLA roster would play harder/better for me than they would for Alford.  He's clearly completely lost the team after throwing them under the bus more than once and doing nothing that I can see to heal that divide.  It's been said that the players literally hate him and from the way they are playing for him, that's likely more than a rumor.  I don't think you'd have to choose an interim very well to get a better reaction from the team.  This is clearly tough on all parties involved, but from the outside looking in, I'd vote for an immediate clean break.  The former coach-player relationship was just spiraling out of control.  That was apparent by the product on the court.  It would be interesting to hear Wilkes speak candidly about the split as he always seemed to have Alford's back, taking the blame as players not giving sufficient effort.  Does that tune change now?

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Since when was ucla respectable?  

Cheaters love cheaters.  He would be a nice bridge because there are a bunch of young, still trying to prove themselves type of coaches out there that would still be a gamble.  

Would Jay Wright jump coasts?  Doubt it.  Bennet, too vanilla.  Watson, what has he proven?  Hoiberg, would probably do a good job but sounds like he prefers NBA.  Musselman, still a gamble. 

I'm predicting hoiberg but you can't go wrong with slick rick out west.  

Thats true! But, i think his situation is still way too fresh in everyone's eyes.  If this was a few years down the road, then sure

Archived