Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Any word about who financed Alford's buyout?

Though his departure was forced by influential boosters. And unlike Kelvin Sampson, who's buyout was paid primarily by one booster.  It sounds like UCLA is paying for this by honoring the entire contract through department generated funds.

Seven paragraphs down :

Steve Alford fired as UCLA basketball coach after six seasons | The Spokesman-Review

Get me the names of Steve's agent and attorney.  LOL

2 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I don't think that especially mid-season. Still, If he has desires to go back to college this would be a good opportunity to walk away from a 1 year deal during the off season. Then the question is would UCLA wait. He'd likely win immediately.  I just don't know that he wants to return to college. 

I could certainly see him loving the idea of NBA coaching in NY city much more once he becomes a FA NBA coach in 2020.  Brooklyn is close to turning it around with some nice young players and about to be a factor in the luring of free agents.  

No way he leaves OKC to coach Brooklyn. The reality is OKC at least at this time looks to be a legit contender, they just got Westbrook and PG to commit to multi-year contracts, they added Schroeder who has significantly helped their second unit, PG is having a career year and essentially replaced Durant after Melo left, their future is bright, and it’s all under Donovan’s watch

UCLA needs to hire a young up-and-coming coach with lots of energy. Someone like Archie....  um...  forget it. I lost my train of thought.

Thank goodness IU dodged the 'Alford Coach' thing. If IU had hired Alford I would no longer be an IU fan, seriously, and I loved him as a player.

Ryan rocks.

Rick Pitino would be good at UCLA for a few years I think. Darn good coach.

7 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

UCLA needs to hire a young up-and-coming coach with lots of energy. Someone like Archie....  um...  forget it. I lost my train of thought.

Thank goodness IU dodged the 'Alford Coach' thing. If IU had hired Alford I would no longer be an IU fan, seriously, and I loved him as a player.

Ryan rocks.

Rick Pitino would be good at UCLA for a few years I think. Darn good coach.

Imagine where we'd be today had the Crean cult got its way and CTC was given more time and Archie, Holtmann, and Mack were off the board.  

49 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Thanks, Mile. If a booster or group of boosters ponied up to buy him out, I would expect them to have a say in the replacement. Money talks... 

You are very welcome. And thanks to you for being a great Hoosier Sports Nation Member.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No way he leaves OKC to coach Brooklyn. The reality is OKC at least at this time looks to be a legit contender, they just got Westbrook and PG to commit to multi-year contracts, they added Schroeder who has significantly helped their second unit, PG is having a career year and essentially replaced Durant after Melo left, their future is bright, and it’s all under Donovan’s watch

Well.  Lets see who has the brighter future in 2020 as the Nets go hard in free agency.  They may well lose out against Philly, NY, and the La teams but they have space to add a couple long term stars of their own.  A lot of players will could be interested in playing in New York be it the Nets or Knicks.  Didn't Donovan grow up in New York.  I suspect a lot coaches would like to coach there too. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I wonder how the recruiting class is holding up for the Bruins?  Last I knew they had 3 coming and were in the Top 25.

Not trying to pile on Alford but I imagine those kids will wait and see who signs on to be the coach. It’s UCLA after all...they weren’t coming to be coached by Alford. That’s a program that recruits itself basically.

21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't think it's so much an attack on Alford as one borne of frustration at the folks who foolishly wanted him at IU. At one point, I was among them, but that changed with his tenure at Iowa and never recovered at New Mexico. Even though he had success there, when the bright lights of the tournament were on him, he was a failure. Losing Sam off his bench hurt as well. He's a lot like little Ricky in that regard...nowhere near the tactician as his father was.

Steve needs to take a break and then step back to a level where his ability to recruit will make up for his inability to coach. I'm not saying he has no ability, but I am saying there are a lot more than a handful of college basketball coaches who are better floor generals, if inferior recruiters.  I do wish him well...he will always be a Hoosier legend who was a big part of banner number five.

i guess this is my sentiment exactly.  i just don't understand why some IU fans are so set on declaring Alford is the devil.

Archived