Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i guess this is my sentiment exactly.  i just don't understand why some IU fans are so set on declaring Alford is the devil.

There's always disappointment when it's found that a hero has feet of clay, so to speak.  Humans, being what they are, tend to tear down those that have been placed on a pedestal...as Alford was.

8 hours ago, rico said:

Have they signed LOI's?

All three are signed.  Jake Kyman (4star), and Jamie Jaquez (3star), have publicly stated they are staying.  Grant Shofield (3star) wants more time to make a decision.

I may have misspelled some of the last names. 

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not trying to pile on Alford but I imagine those kids will wait and see who signs on to be the coach. It’s UCLA after all...they weren’t coming to be coached by Alford. That’s a program that recruits itself basically.

From 2017 article:

LaVar Ball confirmed sons LiAngelo and LaMelo will follow in the footsteps of older brother Lonzo by playing college basketball at UCLA regardless of who's coaching the Bruins in the future.

Ian O'Connor of ESPN passed along comments from the outspoken patriarch of the Ball family about the collegiate plans for the other two highly touted members of his clan. He stated Steve Alford's status doesn't matter amid speculation the former Indiana standout could return to coach the Hoosiers.

"We're going to stick with UCLA even if you put Bobo the Clown in as coach," he said.

You can add Bobo to the list of candidates

At the end of the day here is what we got.  An IU legend that has taken up coaching.  An IU legend that has a personality problem.  An IU legend, that while a head coach, turned a blind eye to what Pierre Pierce was doing.

With that being said he is closing in on 600 wins.  Now I don't care who you are, that is pretty dang impressive.  He will land on his feet.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This will be interesting to watch.  If I were UCLA, I'd shoot for Mike White.  I think he'd be a great get for anybody.  I assume Mark Few isn't moving.  UCLA is obviously a great job.  I think they will be able to land a top notch guy.

The job has huge potential but they are way behind on coaches salaries for a blue blood and too cheap to charter flights for a team on the west coast. Wierd.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The job has huge potential but they are way behind on coaches salaries for a blue blood and too cheap to charter flights for a team on the west coast. Wierd.

I didn't realize that.  They will have to pay up if they want to be competitive.  They have a lot going for them if they pay up.

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn't realize that.  They will have to pay up if they want to be competitive.  They have a lot going for them if they pay up.

They are 23rd and like 700K a year behind Utah. Not what I expected for a storied program like that. I think I was almost more surprised that they didn't charter flights for the team.

I respect what Alford did as a player at IU. But I probably wouldn't like him as a person and I think he's not the quality coach that should coach a blue blood program. The reason people pile on him whether right or wrong is to push back against the narrative he should of been our coach. I can tell you I was tired of hearing from the media and former players we needed an Indiana guy or we needed Alford. And I resented the idea most IU fans were on board with this idea. Bob Knight wasn't an Indiana guy so what is their point? And most fans don't expect us to get Bob Knight 2.0. All we want is someone whose a great coach and gets the program, the culture and and expectations. Someone who recruits the state. So far Archie is doing well in that regard. People hating on Alford isn't about hating on former IU players. It's a frustration borne out of years of bad coaching hires and people telling us what we want and not listening. If we had hired Alford it would have been a continuation of that frustration. So whether fair or unfair to Alford personally many fans felt they needed to be loud in opposition. We've had enough of it.

31 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

I respect what Alford did as a player at IU. But I probably wouldn't like him as a person and I think he's not the quality coach that should coach a blue blood program. The reason people pile on him whether right or wrong is to push back against the narrative he should of been our coach. I can tell you I was tired of hearing from the media and former players we needed an Indiana guy or we needed Alford. And I resented the idea most IU fans were on board with this idea. Bob Knight wasn't an Indiana guy so what is their point? And most fans don't expect us to get Bob Knight 2.0. All we want is someone whose a great coach and gets the program, the culture and and expectations. Someone who recruits the state. So far Archie is doing well in that regard. People hating on Alford isn't about hating on former IU players. It's a frustration bore out of years of bad coaching hires and people telling us what we want and not listening. If we had hired Alford it would have been a continuation of that frustration. So whether fair or unfair to Alford personally many fans felt they needed to be loud in opposition. We've had enough of it.

I understand your points, and agree that may be the case for some fans.

For me, it has nothing to do with the misguided folks saying Alford should have been our coach. It is 100% that I feel is is just not a good person.

Alford did some nice things early on at SWMS. that made it seem like he was an up and coming coach...then did it again at New Mexico. Seems like when he has had to bounce back he can. He knows basketball...no doubt. I think he can identify with young players. That said when he has been at really good programs and I do think Iowa is a good program (had some excellent coaches in the past) he just hasn’t reacted well. Like almost he has said ok I’ve made it and I don’t have to work as hard. Seems at UCLA he thought I can win 1/2 my games on talent alone and then I can play my golf and enjoy the good life and not put in the hard work after you recruit the kids. He will be out for a year or whatever do the ESpn thing than find another gig. I think at a mid major he could do damage if he works hard at it again and wants to get back to the top but who knows what he will want. I wish him the best..hopefully some humbling does him good.

There are comments here likening Alford to a violent criminal, which he is not. There are characterizations of him as not a good person, which is someone’s opinion, but really that’s all, as no one here knows Steve personally. There are instances where he acted in a way most everyone here would agree was wrong or inappropriate. Those few examples are what have formed opinions, similar to the adage, “you only get one chance to make a first impression.”

RMK made inappropriate comments about rape. He also acted like an a$$ more times than he should. Hated by some but beloved by many, because he did a lot more good for people than bad. A lot more good than the public was ever let in on.

I am sure Alford is the same. He’s a public figure who has failed in certain situations, and his failure is public fodder. If the only perceptions of him are negative, opinions are formed as such. Unfortunately, the positives are either not public, or don’t get the attention.

I don’t want Alford as our head coach now, or ever. I am also not in a position to have nearly enough facts to determine whether he is a good man or not. If I had to, I would lean towards believing that he’s a better person than is portrayed.

Very interesting he has won 600 games.  He just turned 54.  He's fixing to collect a 2.5 million dollar payout, which in California means he'll collect 750k lol.  

If CTC can land at a Georgia, Alford can land at an Illinois and probably be pretty good at it.  He would recruit the hell out of Chicago and Indiana.  

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

True. But Alford has now blown his 3rd chance. Screw him. Look at how he’s acted at UCLA. He’s a bad person as well as not getting what it takes to be a college coach 

Oh, no problem with either side of that debate. I was trying to stear laway from the murderers get second chance conversation. 

As for the Alford debate, that is perfectly in line.

Alford did himself no favors in how he handled the Pierre Pierce situation yes it is old but in today's society with the conversation of sexual assault and harassment he would be fired on the spot no questions asked. Here is what Glass said at the time of when this article was written in the Quarry. 

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/3/18/14966490/steve-alfords-pierre-pierce-iowa-sexual-assault

24 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

Alford did himself no favors in how he handled the Pierre Pierce situation yes it is old but in today's society with the conversation of sexual assault and harassment he would be fired on the spot no questions asked. Here is what Glass said at the time of when this article was written in the Quarry. 

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/3/18/14966490/steve-alfords-pierre-pierce-iowa-sexual-assault

Izzo wasn't fired.

Archived