Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

I hope that I did'nt come off as an anti-Alford person because I'm not, he was a wonderful player.

I lived through the whole"Pacers should have drafted Alford instead of Reggie" stuff, which as a hoosier I thought was embarassing. Reggie Miller was awesome, I loved those Pacer teams. The Davis twins. Rik Smits.

I just think Alford should never have left New Mexico. That was a good gig.

Sorry if I went off the rails.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Officer Obie said:

I hope that I did'nt come off as an anti-Alford person because I'm not, he was a wonderful player.

I lived through the whole"Pacers should have drafted Alford instead of Reggie" stuff, which as a hoosier I thought was embarassing. Reggie Miller was awesome, I loved those Pacer teams. The Davis twins. Rik Smits.

I just think Alford should never have left New Mexico. That was a good gig.

Sorry if I went off the rails.

It's like a roller coaster for Coach Alford.  He goes from Iowa, where he was not loved at all.. to New Mexico, where they loved him.... so much so, that UNM gave him an increase and 10 year contract, only for Steve to leave within a matter of days... for UCLA, where the fans, at first did not welcome him, and then reviled and finally had boosters who were instrumental in his being fired.

I have followed Steve on the internet fan boards, throughout.  In fact, had a close relationship with a moderator of one of the Iowa fan boards while Steve was coaching there.. And the stories he told me about how Steve treated the fans (actual interactions by him and friends of him ) there were terrible.  Then... the contrast from Iowa to New Mexico was amazing in terms of how the fans there, loved him. Only to follow up by checking up on him at UCLA... where the fans were not welcoming overall from day one.... and then became increasingly angry about Steve over the years.  Oh the things they said about Steve's son ! 

Like I say a roller coaster ride.  But through it all... Steve has made out like a bandit... money wise.

O.O... There are many here , who like you feel Steve should have stayed in New Mexico.

1 minute ago, hoosier8760 said:

Never understood the hate for Alford. People act like he raped someone. Give me a break! Such a pansy society we live in today

No people act like he defended and enabled a rapist and tormented the rapists victim which is very different but also very terrible. And in addition has never had the personal conviction to admit that he made a mistake 

6 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

Never understood the hate for Alford. People act like he raped someone. Give me a break! Such a pansy society we live in today

Why can we not separate the IU Basketball Player Alford from the NCAA Head Coach Alford and not be called a hater?

I don't think ANYONE hates the IU Player Alford and the '87 Championship that he was a very huge part of.

However, when we look at what he has done as a Head Coach in college basketball, he has not succeeded in the 2 power 5 conference jobs he has had. He did well at Manchester and New Mexico where expectations were lower. Because we are evaluating his on court results versus expectations at Iowa and UCLA, does that make us haters because we point that out? Does that make us haters because we aren't interested in him Coaching IU based on the on-court results?

We have all heard about the Pierce incident, some users have heard multiple other stories about his ego and his treatment of individuals at his various head coaching stops. It seems the negative stories outnumber the positive stories, does that make us haters for sharing and using those stories as a point of reference? Does that make us haters because we aren't interested in him Coaching IU based on off-court incidents?

Never understood the hate for objectively evaluating Alford's coaching career as to whether or not he is a good candidate to Coach IU. People act like we kicked his dog or something. Give me a break! Such a pansy society we live in today.

For some reason, the fortunes of New Mexico men's basketball and IU men's basketball seem to have been intertwined for what seems like decades now.

Some of the coaches at UNM, either coached under Bobby Knight or played for Bobby.  Norm Ellenberger, and Dave Bliss.

Of course there was the flirtation UNM had with Bobby Knight.  Despite denying any contract talks with UNM, there were plenty of stories at the time that not only did UNM offer Bobby the job, but that Bobby flew to Albq.  to check out the school and program.

Knight Says Dave Bliss Is Lobos' Man : He Stays at Indiana, but His Protege May End Up at New Mexico - latimes

UNM went on to hire Dave Bliss on Bobby's recommendation.  And the Dave Bliss story is quite the story from then on out.  You think Alford had a scandal on his hands while at Iowa ?  Check Bliss's history.  I believe he is the only coach to have received a ten year show cause order from the NCAA.

Which brings us back to another ironic twist of fate involving UNM, UCLA, and  Steve.  It seems that one of the straws that broke Steve's back at UCLA... so to speak... was his losing to Liberty.  The irony in that is, the coach of Liberty, Ritchie McKay, was fired by UNM, in order for UNM to hire Steve Alford away from Iowa.

I am gonna call 'em like I see 'em.

Steve was successful at Manchester, SW Missouri St., Iowa, New Mexico, and UCLA.  I don't care what anybody says, he has been a successful HC at every stop.

Now is he an elite coach?  No.  His he a good coach?  Yes.  

I don't care about personality issues, but as a HC Steve has made 2 huge mistakes.  The way he handled the Pierce issue at Iowa and taking the UCLA job.

Alford will be fine, his record speaks for itself.  Who knows where his next landing stop will be but I bet there will be schools clamoring over him.  And just not mid-majors.  Let us see what coaching changes happen in the power conferences and when there is an opening, Steve's name will come up.  

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Steve was successful at Manchester, SW Missouri St., Iowa, New Mexico, and UCLA.  I don't care what anybody says, he has been a successful HC at every stop.

I don't care about personality issues, but as a HC Steve has made 2 huge mistakes.  The way he handled the Pierce issue at Iowa and taking the UCLA job.

Alford will be fine, his record speaks for itself.  Who knows where his next landing stop will be but I bet there will be schools clamoring over him.  And just not mid-majors.  Let us see what coaching changes happen in the power conferences and when there is an opening, Steve's name will come up.  

He was not a success at Iowa. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

No people act like he defended and enabled a rapist and tormented the rapists victim which is very different but also very terrible. And in addition has never had the personal conviction to admit that he made a mistake 

Sounds just like Bob Knight!

38 minutes ago, rico said:

New Castle?  😁

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Win B1G tourney is my guess.

Ah...could be.  That's all well and good but on a national level, it's meaningless.  Success is ultimately measured by March madness.  A distant second is conference titles and a distant third behind that is conference tournaments.  That's my take at least.  I don't think you'd find too many people ranking the Big Ten tournament champ ahead of either of the other two.  I sure don't, although I won't deny it would be nice to win one.  I just wonder about the cost when it's played right in front of the NCAA tournament, similar to why I understand a lot of draft eligible football players skipping bowl games.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Ah...could be.  That's all well and good but on a national level, it's meaningless.  Success is ultimately measured by March madness.  A distant second is conference titles and a distant third behind that is conference tournaments.  That's my take at least.  I don't think you'd find too many people ranking the Big Ten tournament champ ahead of either of the other two.  I sure don't, although I won't deny it would be nice to win one.  I just wonder about the cost when it's played right in front of the NCAA tournament, similar to why I understand a lot of draft eligible football players skipping bowl games.

I don't place much stock in conference tourneys, as it's the one-and-out scenario and basically everyone is more focused on the NCAA tourney at that point, but I do put stock in regular season conference titles, as a better barometer over time than success in the NCAA tourney. Regular season titles especially in a major conference reflect consistent success against good teams. NCAA success is of course important but it's a a one-and-out set up and often dictated by where the game is played, a team that shoots hot on one night, match ups, the refs, injuries to key players in one game, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't place much stock in conference tourneys, as it's the one-and-out scenario and basically everyone is more focused on the NCAA tourney at that point, but I do put stock in regular season conference titles, as a better barometer over time than success in the NCAA tourney. Regular season titles especially in a major conference reflect consistent success against good teams. NCAA success is of course important but it's a a one-and-out set up and often dictated by where the game is played, a team that shoots hot on one night, match ups, the refs, injuries to key players in one game, etc. 

While I do agree that the regular season offers a larger sample size, as long as there is not a true round robin format, and that will never happen due to conferences growing too large, then the regular season championship holds less meaning to me. There will always be unbalance in the schedules, providing some teams advantages over others. 

Archived