Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

Jeff Goodman on Twitter: "UCLA was a spot that has intrigued Fred Hoiberg this past offseason -- If he had been let go by the Bulls and if a move had been made by the Bruins with Steve Alford. That comes from a source close to Hoiberg. Alford's job far from secure right now."

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, KDB said:

Jeff Goodman on Twitter: "UCLA was a spot that has intrigued Fred Hoiberg this past offseason -- If he had been let go by the Bulls and if a move had been made by the Bruins with Steve Alford. That comes from a source close to Hoiberg. Alford's job far from secure right now."

I dont know the answer but is Fred a better coach than Steve? To me not much if any upgrade

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont know the answer but is Fred a better coach than Steve? To me not much if any upgrade

He did really good things at Ames.  He was a couple injuries at bad times away from a final 4 type run.  And he was the only one who ever put any pressure on Kansas in the Big12 when he was there.

I think he would have to change the approach he used at Iowa St. if he went there.  At ISU he brought in a lot of high level transfers who were disgruntled at other programs and molded them into a team.  I would think at UCLA he would be expected to go out and compete for the 5* burger boys.  I'm not saying he could not do it, but it would be a change of approach.  

33 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think he would have to change the approach he used at Iowa St. if he went there.  At ISU he brought in a lot of high level transfers who were disgruntled at other programs and molded them into a team.  I would think at UCLA he would be expected to go out and compete for the 5* burger boys.  I'm not saying he could not do it, but it would be a change of approach.  

I also feel like its w certain type of player that wants to go to UCLA. To me it's the I'm gonna get mine mentality.  More about the city and what it will do for my brand.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's tough to change horses in mid-season, but I'd make an exception here.  Steve has clearly lost his team and is speaking erratically and sounding a little desperate in press conferences.  Even while considering reports of his misplaced arrogance and his mediocrity, he's still a Hoosier legend so there's a part of me that feels bad for him even though he clearly needs to be fired based on his performance.

I hope he takes a break and eventually lands a job more suitable to his abilities.

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Alford was perfect at New Mexico.  That’s the type of job for which he should be aiming IMO.  

I was terrified we would hire him because he has support in some circles of the IU community.  Now, that we’ve dodged that bullet, it doesn’t matter much to me where he should go.  

Surely Steve's remaining support for him coaching at IU is limited to people with no understanding of what effective basketball leadership looks like...

...and Steve's mom. 

Yeah, bullet dodged.  I hope Steve lands somewhere where he can effectively compete.  I don't see that at the power five level.  He's simply not good enough.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:51 AM, Parakeet Jones said:

I am from Ames, the one thing Fred doesn’t like about college and that is recruiting. 

7 minutes ago, BDB said:

I am from Ames, the one thing Fred doesn’t like about college and that is recruiting. 

Not trying to be contrite, but convincing 18-19 year olds to come to LA has got to be a helluva lot easier than selling them on Ames. UCLA kind of recruits itself. And if you hire a decent staff (i.e. like Ed Schilling, etc.) to handle the bulk of recruiting efforts, UCLA could be a dream job for someone like Hoiberg. Not saying that he's an obvious choice, but if I were sniffing around for a job and had a solid resume, there are worse places to end up. 

1 minute ago, BEKA said:

Not trying to be contrite, but convincing 18-19 year olds to come to LA has got to be a helluva lot easier than selling them on Ames. UCLA kind of recruits itself. And if you hire a decent staff (i.e. like Ed Schilling, etc.) to handle the bulk of recruiting efforts, UCLA could be a dream job for someone like Hoiberg. Not saying that he's an obvious choice, but if I were sniffing around for a job and had a solid resume, there are worse places to end up. 

Very true. 

I guess it’s within anyone’s rights to pile on one of our own. Happened with Benson as well. 

Not sure what the point is. I wonder if a kid thinking about coming to IU wouldn’t at least take pause when guys who played their hearts out for us are basically thrown under the bus?

I don’t see where there is anything to be had by piling on Alford. He’s not coming to IU, which is what we all feared at one point. Yeah, he’s not necessarily a good guy, but maybe it would make sense to take the high road, shut our collective mouths, and let whatever happens, happen.

Archived