Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only a matter of time... when there’s billboards and bus stations that have fire Alford advertisements all over them, the writing was literally on the wall. It will be interesting to see how things transpire from here, because I see some similarities between them and IU in Crean’s final year. I’d like to see all of the blue blood programs back at the top, with the exception being that IU is the Alpha program of course. It makes college hoops better. I mean sure, it’s nice to see a Cinderella team make a run once in awhile... BUT, I’d love for Indiana to win championships against a Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA. There’s just a little more gratification beating those schools for the crown!

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll just go ahead and throw my 2 cents in on this one. Growing up in Chicago in late 70's and 80's as a kid besides loving IU....we always loved watching Depaul play. For those that don't remember they were once a gold standard in hoops. The administration up there is a total joke and has been kicking it's fans in the face for years. There's another well known poster on here who is far more dialed in at Depaul....but to me this is the perfect time for them to make a move and get a guy like Alford. Obvious ties to the Midwest. Good conference. Can just get back to good old fashion hoops in an area that produces a ton of talent that consistently leaves the area. 

Although I get it and DePaul can hire whom ever they want to, I just don't think Steve is cut out to be a coach in a power conference.  One could argue, and I would, that the Big East is better than the Pac-12.  Alford needs a nice little comfy job at a school like New Mexico.  However, none us know what he is planning on doing.  But I am sure he will be pursued to coach somewhere.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i've been confused as to why so many IU fans get so aggressive in attacking Alford as well.  i get it, he's not a great coach.  i get it, he's been controversial, but he is a great part of our history and has never done anything negative toward us.  

I don't think it's so much an attack on Alford as one borne of frustration at the folks who foolishly wanted him at IU. At one point, I was among them, but that changed with his tenure at Iowa and never recovered at New Mexico. Even though he had success there, when the bright lights of the tournament were on him, he was a failure. Losing Sam off his bench hurt as well. He's a lot like little Ricky in that regard...nowhere near the tactician as his father was.

Steve needs to take a break and then step back to a level where his ability to recruit will make up for his inability to coach. I'm not saying he has no ability, but I am saying there are a lot more than a handful of college basketball coaches who are better floor generals, if inferior recruiters.  I do wish him well...he will always be a Hoosier legend who was a big part of banner number five.

Donovan has a home game tonight in a back to back Mavs rematch. Donovan will always be at or near the top of every big job in college.

I'm betting he stays in the NBA and eventually moves somewhere on the East Coast. It has to be a pain coaching Russ who just put out another one of his typical 4-22 performances last night to counter Paul George's attempts to take over the game vs Dallas. That said, living in LA has to be tempting to anyone.  I wonder how long Bill Self wants to put up with the winters in the Midwest. This really seems like a job that could pull him from Kansas.  

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Donovan has a home game tonight in a back to back Mavs rematch. Donovan will always be at or near the top of every big job in college.

I'm betting he stays in the NBA and eventually moves somewhere on the East Coast. It has to be a pain coaching Russ who just put out another one of his typical 4-22 performances last night to counter Paul George's attempts to take over the game vs Dallas. That said, living in LA has to be tempting to anyone.  I wonder how long Bill Self wants to put up with the winters in the Midwest. This really seems like a job that could pull him from Kansas.  

In all seriousness, why in the flipping World does anyone think Donovan would want to leave the Thunder, who are doing very well and realistically in competition for the top of the West, to coach UCLA???? Why would anyone think that?

Larry 

23 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

How about Larry Brown.  Isn't it about time to recycle him again?

I actually thought about him since I just recently read about him being fired in Italy? He might be an OK candidate to finish out the season if they are bringing in someone on an interim basis.  

Archived