Penn St. Post game

Indykev

Tough fought win and the defense was stifling for most of the game.  We’re still working out some kinks offensively, but we will keep improving.  That defense will travel anywhere we go though.  

Nice to see Moore get some quality minutes and impact the game.  Like another poster said, he gets lost defensively, but he played pretty well tonight.  

I’m at a loss with Justin Smith.  I’ve never seen someone regress so much from their freshman and sophomore season.  I hope he finds his way, because he could really propel us to another level.

Romeo and Rob won this game for us.  Romeo carried us in the first half when need it, and Rob carries us in the second half when we needed it.  Rob is going to be really, really good.  He’s one of our best defensive players too.

On a funnier note.  For all of the posters who wear their emotions on their sleeve while watching the game, next time you’re watching the game, tell your wife (or husband) to secretly video tape you.  After the game, watch yourself.  My wife did this to me tonight.  It’s hilarious.

Edit: And free throws!  What a great improvement.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not everyone has been calling for Moore to transfer,  Some have even suggested he be given a chance.  He got it and produced.

Players should be rewarded for stepping up in a time of need.  Clifton did in the first half and was not rewarded.  Justin Smith did not step up at all in the first half, but was rewarded with significant PT in the 2nd (and still did not do much).  I wouldn't coach that way, but Archie does.  But, we won, which is the most important thing.

Archie doesnt trust him yet.

Pluses as I see them:

1.  Ugly Win.  No style points in BB.  Couldn't do that last year.

2.  Freshmen improving--Romeo, RP are studs

3.  Moore--Great debut.  Should have been rewarded with 2nd half start even if only a few minutes. 

4.  FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Minus:

1.  Green still eratic.  Hopefully rusty.  1st half great, 2nd half ugh!

2.  McBob still offensive liability.  Need to have him score more.

3.  Smith is an enigma.  Plays too soft.  Confidence? Confusion?  His development is CRUCIAL  to this teams post season ambitions.  

4.  Fitz also too soft and needs to increase his hustle.   

Take the W and move on to Louisville.  

Here's a question a poll would be good on.  I like Green's potential, but hate his erratic play. Dude is now a junior.  Would be curious to see percentage of ppl that believe in him becoming what he could be vs those that think he'll be erratic till he's thru at IU.  any chance it finally 'clicks'?

Edit- I think he finally will get it, but this year has me wondering so far. 

I can't really add anything from what's already been said, except, why do we try to nurse the lead from 5 minutes left on in? Crean used to do that, and it drove me nuts. I thought we should have attacked that trap and tried to score off of it. We pulled it back after breaking pressure 3 or 4 times.

All we did by milking the clock was allow Penn St to get back in the game and have a chance to tie at the end.

Happy with the W though...

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is just one of many from this one poster but it they got deleted

We play like a bunch of pussies! No physicality, no sense of urgency, its pathetic!  With 11:50 left in the first half we had 4 f****** points WTF?  Archie needs b!tch slapped!  Coach you f****** moron!  There are no excuses and plenty of guys who have played Big10 basketball but its a sh!tshow![/

Sounds like they just need banned.  That’s ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Pluses as I see them:

1.  Ugly Win.  No style points in BB.  Couldn't do that last year.

2.  Freshmen improving--Romeo, RP are studs

3.  Moore--Great debut.  Should have been rewarded with 2nd half start even if only a few minutes. 

4.  FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Minus:

1.  Green still eratic.  Hopefully rusty.  1st half great, 2nd half ugh!

2.  McBob still offensive liability.  Need to have him score more.

3.  Smith is an enigma.  Plays too soft.  Confidence? Confusion?  His development is CRUCIAL  to this teams post season ambitions.  

4.  Fitz also too soft and needs to increase his hustle.   

Take the W and move on to Louisville.  

Agree with all of this, would add really solid D to the pluses. 

My biggest nagging negatives so far this year up to, and including, this game are:

1) Lazy, telegraphed passes

2) Moving Screens

Those are both very fixable but drive me bonkers. 

But a road W is a road W no matter how ugly, I’ll take it all day long. 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I want to apologize (I did in the game thread also) for my negativity.  It’s stupid, these are just kids playing a damn game.  I’m not sure why I care so much but I do!  Good win regardless with a banged up team leader and terrible refs on the road.  On to the next!  Go Hoosiers!

I think we all expect and want good things from the team and when it doesn't meet our expectations we tend to voice our concern and that isn't always on a positive way.  But we should be better, I agree

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

why do we try to nurse the lead from 5 minutes left on in? Crean used to do that, and it drove me nuts.

Ditto. Playing not to lose takes you out of your rhythm. There’s a time to pull back and stall but Crean used to start that around 5 minutes left and tonight it seemed like we started around the 4 minute mark. Felt a little early to me. 

4 minutes ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

Here's a question a poll would be good on.  I like Green's potential, but hate his erratic play. Dude is now a junior.  Would be curious to see percentage of ppl that believe in him becoming what he could be vs those that think he'll be erratic till he's thru at IU.  any chance it finally 'clicks'?

There isn't much evidence yet that either Green or Smith are on an upward trajectory.  I'm still hopeful but sadly would have to vote no on both as of now.  Tragedy to. have to say it given their athleticism.  However, if CAM can turn these 2 around we could be a top 10 team easily.  

Edit- I think he finally will get it, but this year has me wondering so far. 

1 minute ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Overall, Rob and Juwan keep the team functional. Grateful for Rob’s IQ and courage, and Juwan’s skill and experience.

Smith needs to be #9 on the depth chart behind Fitz, Davis, and Moore (great minutes and exposure tonight for him).

Langford is meeting expectations for a freshman but is not the MVP right now despite the numbers. 

Archie keeps getting out-coached in B1G games, but great recruiter so hopefully he can figure out gameplay and depth chart/lineups.

Have not seen the game yet, it is DVR'd, but why do you feel Archie is getting out-coached?

1 minute ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Overall, Rob and Juwan keep the team functional. Grateful for Rob’s IQ and courage, and Juwan’s skill and experience.

Smith needs to be #9 on the depth chart behind Fitz, Davis, and Moore (great minutes and exposure tonight for him).

Langford is meeting expectations for a freshman but is not the MVP right now despite the numbers. 

Archie keeps getting out-coached in B1G games, but great recruiter so hopefully he can figure out gameplay and depth chart/lineups.

Archie is 2-0 in the Big Ten. Take getting out coached.

2-0 is at this point is huge.  Now we only have 2 games over the next 11 days.  Get healthy, gel a little bit, and go beat Louisville at home.  If we can go into the rest of the conference season at 11-2, we’ll be in a great spot.

Defense looked locked in, and the guard play seems to be coming together.  Green, Durham, Phinisee, and obviously Romeo all had good games tonight.  That’s the formula for success this season.  Like others, would’ve liked to see more Green and less Smith in the second half.

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I want to apologize (I did in the game thread also) for my negativity.  It’s stupid, these are just kids playing a damn game.  I’m not sure why I care so much but I do!  Good win regardless with a banged up team leader and terrible refs on the road.  On to the next!  Go Hoosiers!

You need to start watching replays like I do...lol...I'm in a great mood and will get to watch the Hoosiers beat Penn State later tonight! 

7 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Romeo not the MVP?  Maybe you can argue it’s Juwan, but Romeo is by far our best perimeter player on offense and defense right now.  Not even close.

Archie outcoached in B1G games?  I don’t even know what the basis for saying that is.

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not everyone has been calling for Moore to transfer,  Some have even suggested he be given a chance.  He got it and produced.

Players should be rewarded for stepping up in a time of need.  Clifton did in the first half and was not rewarded.  Justin Smith did not step up at all in the first half, but was rewarded with significant PT in the 2nd (and still did not do much).  I wouldn't coach that way, but Archie does.  But, we won, which is the most important thing.

Coach sees a lot more in practice than we do!

13 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

So exactly how was Archie out coached tonight??? He knows this team a H.... of a lot better than we do?

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I did not watch the game -- that's a big caveat -- but ... Justin had 9 boards. That's important in any game. I kind of think CAM knows what he's doing. With Clifton, maybe it was matchups, who was on the floor playing where, what plays or sets CAM wanted in the second, who has played the most together in practice, what kind of shots CAM wanted to get, etc. It's way easy to just say hey, Clifton wasn't rewarded in the 2nd. We won.

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Coach sees a lot more in practice than we do!

i agree that practice should dictate playing time to a degree.  Bit, when you give it to the kid and he produces, you reward him.  On the flip side, I don't care if Justin Smith is Lebron James in practice, he is killing us in games, and Moore deserved some of his 2nd half minutes.

Archived