• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, INDenizen said:

My ears are still bleeding from the 

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

...the entire game.

I didnt notice until someone pointed it out, then it drove me nuts. lol. All 5 students at the game must have been right next to the mic.

9 hours ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

7-2, 2-0 start to conference play. I will take this right now, especially since I chalked Duke to an L. 

We have areas to improve on, but I trust the coach we have to make it happen. 

For those crucifying the team/ coach in the game thread, maybe a response in the post game showing you're happy we won? I don't get why some only post negative comments and otherwise go radio silent. It's the holiday season, we're undefeated in conference play, studs coming in next year, no controversy around the team or coach, Life is short.... Come be happy!!!😎👍

i'm good with it too.  my point when we lost that Arkansas game - if we're 8-1 right now, we're solidly ranked.  people who say they don't care?  that's loser talk.  only fans of teams who are not ranked would say they don't care.  obviously the thing that matters is where we go from here, but i really think that was a big early season loss that shouldn't have been.  i'll take the road B1G win though!

If Moore hadn't made the one handed put back with and 1, we lose the game by one point.  So, I guess he made the game winning shot.  On a more serious note, we lost at Arkansas with a missed bunny and a fantom foul call, a game we should have won.  This game balances that one out, because PSU was 11-26 from the line.  All else equal, we lose this game 9 times out of ten because even Shaq can hit 14-26 from the line.  

Solid win.  And, it does not matter how pretty it was.  But, let's be honest.  If we want to compete for a conference title, it was a game we absolutely had to have.  And, you can say the same thing about Michigan's win over Northwestern.  Any road win in the B1G outside of Rutgers and Illinois is a good win.  That said, the conference champion is going to find a way to win 4, 5, or even 6 of those other road games.  So, it's important to grab them when you can and not let go.  Both IU and Michigan came close to letting go last night, but by holding on they have helped themselves in the conference race. 

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If Penn State shoots anything resembling a decent percentage from the line.......

Still trying to understand why Moore's 1st half did not warrant some playing time in the 2nd.

His defense.  He got backdoored by Watkins, and another guy got an easy shot on him.

Not really much to add after reading all the comments. I think Colonial brought up something that my biggest issue is. Lazy passes. I realize kids are learning but you just can't make some of these passes and angles of passes. 

Even the most hyped of recruits need that moment where the shots fall and you can see the confidence coming. I think that stretch was it for Romeo....and to a certain extent RP. We have no clue how good Penn St. is but I'll take road wins all day long. Judging by Northwestern taking Michigan to the wire....our win vs Northwestern is looking better too. 

Ready for Louisville Saturday. Home Game. I think the last one before students are gone. Get Assembly Hall Rocking.

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He also had a block or two, a steal, and another altered shot.  

He also had 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 7 minutes of action.

Look, I don't dismiss what the kid did, and I'm really happy for him. He did a couple of good things, and a couple of bad things. I hope he can improve and be a rotation guy at some point.

And he was in there because of foul trouble with Justin, Juwan, and De'Ron. He said so himself in the postgame.

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

If Moore hadn't made the one handed put back with and 1, we lose the game by one point.  So, I guess he made the game winning shot.  On a more serious note, we lost at Arkansas with a missed bunny and a fantom foul call, a game we should have won.  This game balances that one out, because PSU was 11-26 from the line.  All else equal, we lose this game 9 times out of ten because even Shaq can hit 14-26 from the line.  

Yep. It's funny after that game I had similar sentiments. I think we won last night because of how we lost at Arkansas. People stepped up and made the play when needed. That's progress given how young the season actually is.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He also had 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 7 minutes of action.

Look, I don't dismiss what the kid did, and I'm really happy for him. He did a couple of good things, and a couple of bad things. I hope he can improve and be a rotation guy at some point.

And he was in there because of foul trouble with Justin, Juwan, and De'Ron. He said so himself in the postgame.

The point some are trying to make is that he at least did good things.  Smith did the exact same bad things, without the good things and he was rewarded with 35+ minutes of play.  Not saying Moore should start by any means, but maybe give the kid more rope, Smith sure as heck gets alot 

Big win, no we have to handle Louisville at home, yet another big resume builder we need

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The point some are trying to make is that he at least did good things.  Smith did the exact same bad things, without the good things and he was rewarded with 35+ minutes of play.  Not saying Moore should start by any means, but maybe give the kid more rope, Smith sure as heck gets alot 

Big win, no we have to handle Louisville at home, yet another big resume builder we need

I understand their point, but I'm saying let's not get carried away. 

Smith had 25 minutes, not 35. And he did a "couple" of good things too. 9 rebounds (although that number is a bit deceiving...at least 4 of those were on missed free throws...I only remember a couple of contested rebounds he snagged) and a critical steal. We saw what he can do last year...I think Archie is waiting for that game to reappear.

And, I said it in another thread, but I'll say it again. His hands are terrible. Can't control the ball and easily stripped.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand their point, but I'm saying let's not get carried away. 

Smith had 25 minutes, not 35. And he did a "couple" of good things too. 9 rebounds (although that number is a bit deceiving...at least 4 of those were on missed free throws...I only remember a couple of contested rebounds he snagged) and a critical steal. We saw what he can do last year...I think Archie is waiting for that game to reappear.

And, I said it in another thread, but I'll say it again. His hands are terrible. Can't control the ball and easily stripped.

Because a rebound on missed FTs doesnt give you possesssion?

Moore played in the first half because of foul trouble, was happy to see him do some good things, but I’m not surprised at all he didn’t play in the second half. It was a close road game IU really needed and he’s an inexperienced player who doesn’t have the trust of the coach. 

I think some of you are being too hard on Justin Smith, at least in terms of last night. He’s really struggling offensively, he has no confidence and the turnovers are maddening. But, he was did a fantastic job defensively and on the boards. He absolutely shut down a guy averaging 23 points per game on his home court. The job he did on Stevens was great. 

If this team is going to come close to what people had hoped it’s going to need Smith especially and Green to figure things out offensively, and I think last night was at least a step in Smith starting to do some things he can build on. 

Archived