Penn St. Post game

Indykev

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Probably hurts the program about as much as someone bringing over idiotic posts from another forum ripping players and the team and posting them on here

Might be but this board use to not be like the other sites so I wanted to show why this board is better.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

All we need now, from one of our illustrious "experts" on the board is to call the kid "Cookie" and we will have come full circle.

Sorry for being honest and not acting like we live in a perfect world.  it’s ok to Criticize someone when it’s warranted and I don’t think you will find anyone that is saying smith is playing well so why can’t we talk about it? He did play pretty good defense on Stevens and got 9 boards which is a plus but for most of the time he looks lost. 

The first Time smith goes strong and dunks on someone I’ll be i here singing his praises. I guess I’m not a softy cheerleader guy that sits around acts like everything is ok. The kid needs to play better to get IU were we wanna go and when he does I’ll be here congratulating him! 

12 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Sorry for being honest and not acting like we live in a perfect world.  it’s ok to Criticize someone when it’s warranted and I don’t think you will find anyone that is saying smith is playing well so why can’t we talk about it? He did play pretty good defense on Stevens and got 9 boards which is a plus but for most of the time he looks lost. 

The first Time smith goes strong and dunks on someone I’ll be i here singing his praises. I guess I’m not a softy cheerleader guy that sits around acts like everything is ok. The kid needs to play better to get IU were we wanna go and when he does I’ll be here congratulating him! 

I say these are kids 18-20 years old who decided to play for IU so I don't think they should get ripped all the time on this board.  If they are professionals and getting paid millions of dollars and are not playing well have at it but to do it college kids I think is overboard.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Might be but this board use to not be like the other sites so I wanted to show why this board is better.

And you honestly don't think adults can discern that for themselves?

The board is still miles above others when it comes to criticism of the team or the players. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I say these are kids 18-20 years old who decided to play for IU so I don't think they should get ripped all the time on this board.  If they are professionals and getting paid millions of dollars and are not playing well have at it but to do it college kids I think is overboard.

Yikes I’m not ripping the kid I’m just talking about areas he needs to get better at. Some people are so soft these days. Everybody is doing fine and gets a participation trophy come on guys it’s 2018 LOL not how I was raised. If nobody gets on Justin about how he is playing and we all just go ah thanks for coming to IU, he will never make it to the next level. I’d rather get in the kid a little and see him adjust and improve his game and make millions. 

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Yikes I’m not ripping the kid I’m just talking about areas he needs to get better at. Some people are so soft these days. Everybody is doing fine and gets a participation trophy come on guys it’s 2018 LOL not how I was raised. If nobody gets on Justin about how he is playing and we all just go ah thanks for coming to IU, he will never make it to the next level. I’d rather get in the kid a little and see him adjust and improve his game and make millions. 

I am not like that either because I was raised in the 70's watching RMK coach but it is not the fans place to rip him.  I am sure the coaches see the same thing and are trying to work with him to fix his problems.  So you really think guys on the message board critiquing a player is going to make him better because we have no influence on a players performance.

6 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Don't you imagine the coaching staff is doing that?  And do you believe our critiques of his play really have an impact on him making it to the next level?  I have my doubts there.  JMO.  😁

19 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

In the NW game, he had a chance at the end of the game to make a huge crowd pleasing dunk but instead lays it up. 

I believe that play is exhibit A that the kid has lost confidence.  How many times have you seen Justin flying  in for a SportsCenter highlight dunk, only to miss it?  I  can think of 2 or 3 this year.  He was afraid to miss that shot.  He needs to get his confidence back.

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Mu main problem with guys like him is that they rip the players constantly which does not help the program.

Stop pretending like you know me please, this is an anonymous message board meant to give our opinions. My opinion (that is shared with a lot of other people) is that he has played poorly as of the last few weeks. I also think if you asked him he would agree.

He did play better defensively the other night and grabbed some rebounds. Does that excuse a 0-4 3 turnover performance on offense? To me it doesn't, to some of you it does that's fine. That being said, had we lost that game I think a lot of you would be singing a different tune.

Do not quote me and try to pretend you're some "superior fan" just because you're still living in the 1970s. I have my opinion and you have yours, I'm not some idiot who knows nothing about basketball.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am not like that either because I was raised in the 70's watching RMK coach but it is not the fans place to rip him.  I am sure the coaches see the same thing and are trying to work with him to fix his problems.  So you really think guys on the message board critiquing a player is going to make him better because we have no influence on a players performance.

I don’t think people should get criticized for talking about a player who is not playing well. We are just fans talking about how the team is doing. I don’t have anything against Justin and I’m sure he is fine student athlete. All I’m saying is I think he needs to see less playing time until he improves In a few areas. Just like Devonta or anyone for that matter can sit on the bench if he or they makes bonehead decisions and Juwan needs to learn how to play without fouling. Why can’t we talk about our team and players weaknesses without getting criticized for ripping a player? I’m not mad at the kid? Just taking basketball. 

50 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

but I just think it’s smith body language that really gets me upset. Kinda like jogs around 

My guess is you were on of the ones ripping RoJo constantly because of his body language, when everyone from Archie on down was praising him for his attitude.  Hell, even Gregg Doyle wrote about how much that kid cared, and Gregg is idiot.  Point being, there are things going on behind closed doors that you are not privy to, so trust the coach.

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Don't you imagine the coaching staff is doing that?  And do you believe our critiques of his play really have an impact on him making it to the next level?  I have my doubts there.  JMO.  😁

Then if our critiques have no impact than why can’t we talk about them? I just wanna talk about the team and the players on it and how they can or we can improve. I hope the coaching staff is aware and on Justin butt about finishing better which I’m sure they are. 

57 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Not saying he doesn’t have promise or that CAM shouldn’t play him but probably needs to scale back his minutes some until he figured it out a little better. I’m not sure I want smith playing starter minutes at this point. 

You do run the risk of ruining his confidence completely if you take him out of the lineup but I would scale back the minutes for sure 

But he had 9 rebounds!! That completely erases losing all of those offensive possessions. 

Honestly, if I were Archie I would try and see how he reacts to a 6th man role then maybe he can get some of his confidence back.

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

My guess is you were on of the ones ripping RoJo constantly because of his body language, when everyone from Archie on down was praising him for his attitude.  Hell, even Gregg Doyle wrote about how much that kid cared, and Gregg is idiot.  Point being, there are things going on behind closed doors that you are not privy to, so trust the coach.

I thought RoJO at times showed bad body language but there was never a doudt about how much he cared! 

Just now, SIHoosier26 said:

But he had 9 rebounds!! That completely erases losing all of those offensive possessions. 

Honestly, if I were Archie I would try and see how he reacts to a 6th man role then maybe he can get some of his confidence back.

Yea that might work. I’m not sure how Justin would react to that but I hope Archie and Justin figured out something soon because we need the kid to play at a high level 

Then if our critiques have no impact than why can’t we talk about them? I just wanna talk about the team and the players on it and how they can or we can improve. I hope the coaching staff is aware and on Justin butt about finishing better which I’m sure they are. 

I'm fine with discussion.  It sounded to me like you were saying that our critiques would be valuable in helping a player achieve his goal of reaching the next level.  My opinion is that's a stretch.  But I fully understand that you have a different opinion and I'm fine with that.  😃

I'll go on record as being confident that at least most players and recruits and their family and friends read fan forums, so what is said here can definitely have both negative and positive consequences. If you don't believe that, my exhibit A would be Nojel Eastern's mother both reading and interacting with posters on GBI (with disastrous consequences, IMO).

The rest of the interactions above remind me of school days past when we'd form a circle around combatants and chant "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Just now, jv1972iu said:

I'm fine with discussion.  It sounded to me like you were saying that our critiques would be valuable in helping a player achieve his goal of reaching the next level.  My opinion is that's a stretch.  But I fully understand that you have a different opinion and I'm fine with that.  😃

No I don’t believe that but I do believe that fans make a difference. We are heard throughout the media which in return gets back to Archie through questions and press events. Obviously Archie already knows smith isn’t finishing well but don’t believe that we as fans are not heard. 

19 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

If you work in customer service and a customer calls you and rips you and your company do you really think that employee gives a rats A$$ what you think.  Once you are off the phone they are probably cussing you out and saying that idiot has no clue what they are talking about. If your manager comes to you and critiques your work you will likely listen to him but not the idiot customer.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If you work in customer service and a customer calls you and rips you and your company do you really think that employee gives a rats A$$ what you think.  Once you are off the phone they are probably cussing you out and saying that idiot has no clue what they are talking about. If your manager comes to you and critiques your work you will likely listen to him but not the idiot customer.

Ahh yea I would hope you would care especially if that customer has some merit in what he or she is saying. If you don’t care your boss will probably be sending you out the door. 

The world is not full of sunshine and smiles.  There is nothing wrong having discussion on how a certain player is playing, how the coach is coaching, or how the team is doing, both good and bad.  If the new rules for this internet forums is to only praise the players and coach and team, them i am not sure why anyone would come here.  People join these forums and interact to find people who can help validate what they feel.  Does that always come out in the most coherent and flattering way?  No.  Sometimes we as fan write things in the heat of the moment and are trying to internalize out feelings by find others to validate it.  Sometimes its right and sometimes we are in left field all alone.  But as long as we're all abiding by the rules we are going to have many differing opinions.  Not everyone is always optimistic about everything, and its ok.  Its what makes the world work the way it is.  Different people, with different opinions coming together to make a forum, school, club, society.  Both sides need to just let it go.  If you don't agree, state your side, discuss, argue but in the end, everything we say here is opinion.  And we mostly all seem pretty civilized with both our praise and criticism .

No I don’t believe that but I do believe that fans make a difference. We are heard throughout the media which in return gets back to Archie through questions and press events. Obviously Archie already knows smith isn’t finishing well but don’t believe that we as fans are not heard. 

Okay.  I can agree with your point about fans being heard.  I probably don't give it quite the level of importance that maybe you do.  Certainly, I don't as it pertains to an individual player.  But it's an interesting discussion.  😃

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

IU Scott, i think everyone here understands that what we say has zero effect on how a player, coach or team performs.  Its an internet forum, for discussion, debate and different opinions.  You have yours, and although i don't particularly agree with like 97% of what you say, you have the right to your opinion and the right to post it here within the rules of the forum.  but everyone else also has the same right, whether its  right, wrong or indifferent. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hey Scott, a little help for your next trying to make a point post...

🍎🍊

Archived