Penn St. Post game

Indykev

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We won on the road, in the first road conference game for the freshmen. I continue to point it out that for these young kids, getting accustomed to league play, and fighting through the challenges, is part of the maturation process. Even for some of the sophomores who didn’t play much last year, last night was another obstacle overcome. 

Free throw shooting by us, and lack thereof by them, was a huge factor in this game. Looks like CAM must have taken to heart all the criticism on this board about the poor shooting. Based on last night’s results, he must have devoted a lot of practice time to free throws...dws

Justin Smith has potential. He lacks confidence. A head coach can either trust his kids and help them develop a belief in themselves or they can bury the kid on the bench and add to the self doubts. It’s not a cut and dry situation. Depends on the kid. Archie obviously sees the promise in Smith and is willing to live with the warts in hopes that the talent comes through. As long as Justin provides some positives... and 9 boards and good defense is not to be diminished, he should be on the floor. 9 games in, still developing. Maybe 10-12 games from now, if there has been no improvement, then it’s time to re-evaluate. Not yet.

Not worried at all about who is on our sidelines. CAM’s toughness is starting to be shown by his team. I firmly believe that the previous coach’s teams would have wilted when things got tough. Bottom line is that we are 2-0 in conference. Last I looked, style points don’t matter. Wins do.

Just me, maybe, but I would prefer if the crap being posted on other boards not be brought over here. The mods have done an awesome job building this forum and all have helped develop a respectful atmosphere. I get why the poster is bringing the quotes over here, would just rather not have their trash pollute this board

18 minutes ago, Sapperin LA said:

Awful does not pull 9 boards down! Room for improvement? Sure, but nowhere near awful!

Awful ignores his defense on Stevens too.

The thing that no one seems to be talking about with Smith that for me is causing 90% of his issues on offense is his lack of a left hand.  He sticks with his right to the point of failure.

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just me, maybe, but I would prefer if the crap being posted on other boards not be brought over here. The mods have done an awesome job building this forum and all have helped develop a respectful atmosphere. I get why the poster is bringing the quotes over here, would just rather not have their trash pollute this board

Ditto. If I want to see monkeys, I'll go to the zoo. No need to bring them to the house.

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ditto. If I want to see monkeys, I'll go to the zoo. No need to bring them to the house.

Yeah...we just need to be vigilant and push back against some of the more mindless, hyperbolic drivel we’re seeing creep on here. A majority of those folks will take off once they’ve realized the community here is much more deliberate and thoughtful and their type of contribution will be met with strong derision and challenge.

Justin is just a little raw. He is more athletic then skilled. He gives good effort but like some others has mental lapses. I feel sometimes he tries to just out jump etc people instead of getting in position or making sound basketball moves. He is not as far along as I think some led us to believe based on the offseason workouts. So be it. That said with Hunter out we don't have anyone else with the attributes that he has that could give us meaningful minutes. I am hopeful that Hunters return will allow Archie to sit Justin when he loses focus and the battle of playing time will help sharpen and motivate him to play better. We have a LOT of young guys...guys that are not used to having the ball in their hands or what it takes effort wise to win...they are learning. I thought Rob took another step forward last night....but Al and Justin played sparingly last year...they are still learning like our freshman. It's guys like Green, Davis, McRoberts, Fitzner, and Juwan that should be playing at a higher level...or giving us more. I know I know...can't talk bad about Juwan but he has to play smarter and stay out of foul trouble.

Justin just ain't there.  I really think that is due to the level of competition.  He has not adapted to it yet.  But we need him in the worst way right now.  We need McBob as well.  That being said...we got a couple of other guys on the pine.  Maybe, just maybe, we need to see what they can do?

I can't figure McRoberts out at this point. Is the back still an issue? Is it conditioning, because Lord knows if your back is hurting, there's not much you can work on from a conditioning standpoint...Or maybe just a little down because he lost his starting gig? I've seen before where some guys just aren't as good coming off the bench as they are starting...and vice versa.

I was encouraged by his shooting early in the year. Hope he can find that stroke again.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Indiana at Penn State: The Report Card. We grade out the game and include links to the following:
Box Score
Highlights
Archie Miller post game
Pat Chambers post game
BTN2Go rewatch

Stole this from your other article linked here -> https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-64-penn-state-62-three-keys-final-box-score/

We were -8 on Fast Break Points, -6 on Steals, -8 on Points in the Paint, +5 on Turnovers, and the difference came down to we made 7 three pointers to their 5 as both teams tied with 23 shots made and 11 made free throws. 

Penn-Box-stat-comparison.jpg?resize=291%2C746&ssl=1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can't figure McRoberts out at this point. Is the back still an issue? Is it conditioning, because Lord knows if your back is hurting, there's not much you can work on from a conditioning standpoint...Or maybe just a little down because he lost his starting gig? I've seen before where some guys just aren't as good coming off the bench as they are starting...and vice versa.

I was encouraged by his shooting early in the year. Hope he can find that stroke again.

I’m sure his conditioning is lacking given it was a back issue that really just needs rest. He was a stud off the bench last year before becoming a starter. Zach is the ultimate team guy, and he knows minutes are earned. Him not starting is not an issue. He missed one shot yesterday. He just seemed a little rushed.

Zach will be fine and back to making game winning plays for us like he did last Saturday. 

Just now, IUaic said:

Stole this from your other article linked here -> https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-64-penn-state-62-three-keys-final-box-score/

We were -8 on Fast Break Points, -6 on Steals, -8 on Points in the Paint, +5 on Turnovers, and the difference came down to we made 7 three pointers to their 5 as both teams tied with 23 shots made and 11 made free throws. 

Penn-Box-stat-comparison.jpg?resize=291%2C746&ssl=1

There’s a reason 3-pointers are more efficient shots. I love it when we shoot 3’s. You do not need to be a good 3-point shooting team to win. But you need to shoot them...not bad ones, but let em fly. I loved the volume of 3s yesterday and hope we continue to shoot them. Really felt like a couple more were going to fall too (Fitzner, McRoberts).

6 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

There’s a reason 3-pointers are more efficient shots. I love it when we shoot 3’s. You do not need to be a good 3-point shooting team to win. But you need to shoot them...not bad ones, but let em fly. I loved the volume of 3s yesterday and hope we continue to shoot them. Really felt like a couple more were going to fall too (Fitzner, McRoberts).

Actually the 3's had nothing to do with our win but it was the fact that PSU could not hit the easiest shot in basket an uncontested 15 foot shot.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Moore played in the first half because of foul trouble, was happy to see him do some good things, but I’m not surprised at all he didn’t play in the second half. It was a close road game IU really needed and he’s an inexperienced player who doesn’t have the trust of the coach. 

I think some of you are being too hard on Justin Smith, at least in terms of last night. He’s really struggling offensively, he has no confidence and the turnovers are maddening. But, he was did a fantastic job defensively and on the boards. He absolutely shut down a guy averaging 23 points per game on his home court. The job he did on Stevens was great. 

If this team is going to come close to what people had hoped it’s going to need Smith especially and Green to figure things out offensively, and I think last night was at least a step in Smith starting to do some things he can build on. 

Green had some bad turnovers, but those two threes in the first half helped IU get back into the game. I thought those were huge makes. I think this team will be ok if they cut down on the turnovers and get some confidence. 

Like I said, I get frustrated with Smith's play just like everyone, the turnovers and weak shots around the basket are maddening, but IMO his play last night is something to build on, not more reasons to bench him. To reach their potential this team needs Justin Smith to come around/develop, but right now he's clearly lacking confidence on offense, doesn't know where he fits in and doesn't know where his shots come from. 

So where do you start with an athletic, long kid in a situation like that? You tell him to focus on what he can control, his effort, his rebounding and his defense. Last night Smith played hard, grabbed 9 boards and shut down one of the top scorers in the conference. I kept waiting for Stevens to take the game over in the second half and it never happened, and a big reason was Justin Smith. 

Now you praise him for his effort publicly, you talk up his defense and you get him even more fired up to be a rebounding, effort, hustle guy, and you hope some of that activity and rebounding turns into some easy put backs and easy transition baskets to get him going offensively a bit. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I understand their point, but I'm saying let's not get carried away. 

Smith had 25 minutes, not 35. And he did a "couple" of good things too. 9 rebounds (although that number is a bit deceiving...at least 4 of those were on missed free throws...I only remember a couple of contested rebounds he snagged) and a critical steal. We saw what he can do last year...I think Archie is waiting for that game to reappear.

And, I said it in another thread, but I'll say it again. His hands are terrible. Can't control the ball and easily stripped.

Maybe once Hunter is healthy, Smith's playing time will decrease.  Don;t know yet what Jerome will bring to the table, but from what I've heard, it's strength, good shooting from all over, which we really need, especially from mid-range, good rebounding and defense.  Now if he has a good basketball head and strong hands, he will easily leapfrog over Smith.  What I don't understand about Smith, aside from his TO's, is how someone so strong, tall and athletic cannot finish a shot from underneath or near the basket.  Man, just go up and dunk or get fouled instead of tossing up crazy over the head semi layups or letting yourself get blocked more than getting your shot off.

13 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Maybe once Hunter is healthy, Smith's playing time will decrease.  Don;t know yet what Jerome will bring to the table, but from what I've heard, it's strength, good shooting from all over, which we really need, especially from mid-range, good rebounding and defense.  Now if he has a good basketball head and strong hands, he will easily leapfrog over Smith.  What I don't understand about Smith, aside from his TO's, is how someone so strong, tall and athletic cannot finish a shot from underneath or near the basket.  Man, just go up and dunk or get fouled instead of tossing up crazy over the head semi layups or letting yourself get blocked more than getting your shot off.

This is probably my biggest issue with Justin.  The TO can be fixed.  Lazy passes can be fixed. Having a 48+ inch overall verical means he should be able to go straight up and tear the rim off the backboard.  I don't care if he misses or get fouled or what.  In the NW game, he had a chance at the end of the game to make a huge crowd pleasing dunk but instead lays it up.  He needs to do what he can do best, jump high and throw it down.  Go strong, Go big, or Go home.  I think he can do. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Actually the 3's had nothing to do with our win but it was the fact that PSU could not hit the easiest shot in basket an uncontested 15 foot shot.

The 3’s definitely had something to do with our win. How you can say they had NOTHING to do with our win is beyond me.

Trying to pinpoint one aspect of a 40 minute game as the reason for a win, and discounting another aspect is crazy. They missed the shots. We hit the shots. 

Do this...replace all of our 3’s with 2-pointers at whatever our FG% was...let me know if we still had more points than them. Maybe their inability to hit FT’s player a factor in how we defended the paint. Maybe it didn’t. We missed some wide open shots too. Do we automatically get credit for those, since you’re giving PSU auto-points for open shots they missed? You can’t just discredit an IU positive because PSU did something negative. 

23 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

The 3’s definitely had something to do with our win. How you can say they had NOTHING to do with our win is beyond me.

Trying to pinpoint one aspect of a 40 minute game as the reason for a win, and discounting another aspect is crazy. They missed the shots. We hit the shots. 

Do this...replace all of our 3’s with 2-pointers at whatever our FG% was...let me know if we still had more points than them. Maybe their inability to hit FT’s player a factor in how we defended the paint. Maybe it didn’t. We missed some wide open shots too. Do we automatically get credit for those, since you’re giving PSU auto-points for open shots they missed? You can’t just discredit an IU positive because PSU did something negative. 

I need not mean it had nothing to do with us winning but the main reason we won is that they missed 15 free throws and some of those were probably front end of one and ones so look how many points they left on the table.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I need not mean it had nothing to do with us winning but the main reason we won is that they missed 15 free throws and some of those were probably front end of one and ones so look how many points they left on the table.

That’s why they play the game. 

If they hit some free throws, we change how we play and they change how they play. It’s not that simple to point at their missed FTs. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When we lose it’s because we missed free throws, when we win it’s because the other team missed free throws.  When you win/lose close games, there’s a multitude of reasons the outcome was decided, but free throws, for some, are the easiest thing to point out.

Archived