Mike DeBord

OLDIUFAN

3 hours ago, Dr. Jones said:

Could they be waiting till early signing period is over before announcing changes?

That would he my guess. Not much reason to do it before then. I guess if we had a home run OC lined up, but why would one of them want to come here?

Allen mentioned disappointment in our offense multiple times during the year, and especially towards the end of the season. I also read that he had to tell DeBord to open up the book and start throwing the ball down the field. It sure seems like Allen isn't happy with him, so I'll be extra disappointed if DeBord comes back next year. Plus, Allen has the easy out with DeBord being old enough to retire. Doesn't even have to "fire" him. Just tell him he isn't welcomed back so he can retire into the sunset 

I read an article the other day saying, IU President isn’t a big sports supporter. So Fred Glass is probably working with a limited budget. Making it hard to get top coaches. So Mr. Glass and coach Allen need to found that jewel among the rocks that is looking to break into the big ten! I am hopeful that it with be some young aggressive and imaginative play caller. I have no ideal who that would be. lol 

On ESPNU this morning some of the conversation was around the coaching carousel that always goes on at the end of the season.

A couple of names were brought up as coaches who are/would be excellent OC's. However, they have baggage and would certainly be controversial hires.

How do you think the fanbase would react if Bobby Petrino or Hugh Freeze were offered the position?

Freeze evidently has been offered the head gig at Liberty, an independent Christian college, to replace Turner Gill who is retiring due to wife's health problems.

Would the notoriety be worth it for a football program who frankly, needs someone to move the needle forward?

There are two professional Spring football leagues starting up in the next two years. The XFL will have 8 teams starting in 2020 and the AAF will have 8 teams starting next year. That is 16 new franchises needing to hire coaching staffs. Obviously, the concern for anyone contemplating coaching one of those teams is whether the leagues are stable and can sustain a level of longevity. Still, they will draw away quite a few candidates for all coaching positions. 

Wonder whether that will affect decisions surrounding IU? Might Cam be considering one of those slots, given that he has coached in professional ball recently?

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There are two professional Spring football leagues starting up in the next two years. The XFL will have 8 teams starting in 2020 and the AAF will have 8 teams starting next year. That is 16 new franchises needing to hire coaching staffs. Obviously, the concern for anyone contemplating coaching one of those teams is whether the leagues are stable and can sustain a level of longevity. Still, they will draw away quite a few candidates for all coaching positions. 

Wonder whether that will affect decisions surrounding IU? Might Cam be considering one of those slots, given that he has coached in professional ball recently?

Forgot about that.  Thanks for reminding me.  I would suspect that Cam would be interested in that.  

2 hours ago, KDB said:

Peegs on Twitter:

Tom Allen says no staff changes have been made.

"Whole focus has been recruiting."

Says such things including dropping DC role from his plate will be more of a focus in this next stage.

That's definitely not a bad thing.  I'm sure it is something he has thought about and probably has a good idea of what he wants to do.  If he wasn't going to make any moves, he would have just said so.  He's already planning some things I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

That's definitely not a bad thing.  I'm sure it is something he has thought about and probably has a good idea of what he wants to do.  If he wasn't going to make any moves, he would have just said so.  He's already planning some things I'm sure.

I would hope every coach makes necessary adjustments year-in-year-out. DC hiring will be huge. The DeBoring thing, I am still betting he promotes someone to co-offensive coordinator. I don't think he cans him. 

I found some promising information on Fred Glass's attempt to "Keep up with the Joneses" in yesterday's Indy Star article about IU Football. Here is a chunk that I found important!

Much of the increase in the latter has come as IU attempted to retain quality assistants. Glass has long preached continuity as critical to the growth of his football program. Applying that to assistants has produced proven results. Kevin Wilson, for example, was able to keep the bulk of his offensive staff together for all of his six seasons in Bloomington. In that time, his offenses set dozens of program records.

Glass also told IndyStar this week that Indiana is preparing to raise the salaries of David Ballou and Dr. Matt Rhea, the two-man brain trust behind its strength and speed development programs. Ballou, Glass said, will see his pay rise from $215,000 to $400,000, while Rhea will get a bump from $150,000 to $375,000.

The raises, offered according to Glass because of heavy interest in both men from other college and NFL programs, are expected to land both men among the 20 highest-paid strength and conditioning (or in Rhea’s case, speed) coaches in college football, according to a USA Today database.

“We’re committed to keeping those guys, because we think they’re very critical for what we’re trying to do here,” Glass said. “Now’s the time not to rest on our laurels or let those guys go away and make some other program famous. We want them to be here.”

That attitude shouldn’t be limited only to the weight room.

“Everyone needs to understand that football is a priority,” Allen said. “It's obviously a priority to me. And that's what I feel in my heart that the direction that we're going.”

I was glad to that there was NO mention of DeBord, in this article. I would hope that CTA stays true this last statement above...... If so, priority #1, find the best available Offensive Coordinator, OL Coordinator, and Special Teams Coach.  Ballou and Rhea both proved their value by almost doubling their salaries. The aforementioned coaches do not deserve to be in that conversation, which leads to "CUT BAIT"!!!!

Archived