Louisville pre-game thread.....

I feel like we will be ready come Saturday.  It gives us three days of rest and some 5 on 5 practice time which has been sorely needed.  I feel like we’re ready to get on a roll if we can just get a couple of things fixed (mainly turnovers).  

Not really sure where to put this, so I’m dropping it here.  I saw the below on Bleacher Report, and it really caught my attention.  The early rankings don’t paint the whole picture and are kind of overrated.  This early schedule has made our guys adjust pretty quickly, and I can only think that is going to help us as we get deeper into the season.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with Romeo's lifelong proximity to L'ville and his gym time with some of their (probably former) players, we have an edge in the scouting department. On a neutral court or @ L'ville, I'm not feeling super confident. But with us getting healthier, playing at SSAH on a weekend before finals, a couple of hard-fought B1G wins, etc., I think we're due for another Marquette-type game. I'm going with 81-68, Hoosiers. 

Louisville plays with heart and plays hard. I think this will be a defensive snobber knocker. 68-63 IU. We just need to stay out of foul trouble, cut off penetration in the lane and stick on McMahon outside (can't leave that kid alone) I think we should be alright. I like our chances to get their bigs in foul trouble and I know Romeo will be looking to make a statement. Go Hoosiers!

Game Preview

When: Saturday 12/8 at 2:30pm ET on Fox

Vegas: IU -7

ESPN: 66% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU: #23, Louisville: #42. 72% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of IU 77, Louisville 71

IU Scouting Report

image.png.09bd118f16ce891b4642cae2dce43dcc.png

Louisville Scouting Report

image.png.fc486db81ad2d89687ee41c1d891e989.png

Equal efficiency on offense, but the teams get there in very much different ways. IU is 10th in the nation in eFG%, while Louisville is 78th, but is the best team in the nation at getting to the free throw line. Louisville also cashes in when they get there, shooting at 77%, good enough for 28th in the nation while we are at 64%, 307th in the nation. Louisville is better at taking care of the ball (63rd in turnover % while we are 276th), while we are better at crashing the offensive glass (153rd compared to 241st for Louisville).

Defensively we have performed much better than Louisville, and the key difference maker here is forcing turnovers. We are 39th in the nation in turning the other team over, while Louisville is 256th. They do keep teams off the offensive glass better than we do. Shooting wise, we are much better at defending the 3 than they are (23rd vs 162nd) but they are better at defending 2s (152nd vs 61st). 

Keeping Louisville away from the line is going to be one of the biggest keys. If they get to the line early and often, they are going to make us pay. Luckily for us, the other key is weakness vs weakness, as we turn the ball over a lot, but they don't do a good job of turning the other team over. If we can limit the unforced errors while playing foul-free defense, we should have a good shot to win this one.

The key player to look out for on Louisville is Jordan Nwora, their sophomore forward who is averaging 17 points and 7 rebounds per game. They also have Ryan McMahon, who is averaging 39% from 3 and will need to be contained. Steven Enoch is also averaging 9 ppg and shooting it at 60%, but Nwora is definitely their go to guy on offense.

37 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Hopefully the officials let the teams play. Seeing too many CBB games with a ridiculous number of illegal screen calls and multiple good players saddled with early foul trouble. Contributing to a lack of continuity and scores in the low 60s.

Hopefully the officials don't try to hose us like they did, inexplicably at home, against NWU

Archived