Defense

I thought this deserved it’s own thread.  Over the past 3-4 games, I’ve really been watching the guys defensively.  It’s been hit on a couple times in other threads, but our perimeter defense has been outstanding from the eye test.  I hadn’t looked at any ratings from Kenpom or any of the other sites, but I just came across the below over on ITH.  I’ve heard a couple of the players state that they’ve really focused on defense this offseason, and the stats would back that up.  Maybe that’s why our offense hasn’t really looked all that fluid this early part of the season (injuries have played a role too).

- Archie Miller wants to build an elite defensive team as his foundation in Bloomington.

The numbers through nine games suggest he’s doing just that. Here’s a game-by-game look at Indiana’s points per possession allowed by opponent and where that performance ranks on the season for each team:

– Chicago State: .68 (2nd lowest)
– Montana State: .49 (lowest)
– Marquette: .98 (lowest)
– Arkansas: .97 (2nd lowest)
– UT Arlington: .87 (3rd lowest)
– UC Davis: .96 (7th lowest)
– Duke: 1.14 (2nd lowest)
– Northwestern: .97 (3rd lowest)
– Penn State: .88 (lowest)

The outlier here is UC Davis, which Indiana struggled to defend, but still held under a point per possession.

Over nine games, the Hoosiers have surrendered more than a point per possession just once and are ranked in the top 20 in Ken Pomeroy’s adjusted defensive efficiency rating. Through nine games last season, six opponents scored more than a point per possession against Indiana.

17 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I think the offense will come around the longer the core group(Green/Phinisee/Durham/Romeo/McRoberts/Smith/Fitzner/Morgan/Davis) plays together.  I really like the approach of preaching defense and letting the offense come to you.   

I couldn’t agree more.  The offense will come around, but that the defense will travel.  It’s already kept us in many games this year, when the offense looked anemic.

I could not agree more about the defense, that Archie is building. That's why I gave the D, instead of one individual,  the mile hi game ball in the Penn State post game thread.

We have seen an evolution in terms of IU's defense, from the start of last season, when it was just horrible.... but finished the year up surprising us all, in that we did not think it could come the distance it did in one season, with the same players that started the season out.

I will say this however, in terms of the offense..... I am seriously concerned.  IU had a double digit lead as the second half of the Penn State game wound down.  And they started to work the clock down on possessions.  Which is all right.  But instead of maintaining the lead, IU almost let the game slip away.  Due to putrid execution down the stretch.  For me, it wasn't coaching, but execution that got us into that situation. But it will be coaching that will get that corrected, just as coaching has gotten the D straightened out. Gotta go back to the drawing board when it comes to coveting the ball, and even more.... decision making and precision when it comes to passing the ball.

So the pendulum has swing, from the start of last season.  Defense has become our strength, at the expense of an offense that executes poorly, when it matters most.

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I will say this however, in terms of the offense..... I am seriously concerned.  IU had a double digit lead as the second half of the Penn State game wound down.  And they started to work the clock down on possessions.  Which is all right.  But instead of maintaining the lead, IU almost let the game slip away.  Due to putrid execution down the stretch.  For me, it wasn't coaching, but execution that got us into that situation. But it will be coaching that will get that corrected, just as coaching has gotten the D straightened out. Gotta go back to the drawing board when it comes to coveting the ball, and even more.... decision making and precision when it comes to passing the ball.

I’m not too concerned about the offense and believe it will come around.  Why there is a system to the defense, a lot of the defense is predicated on effort.  Now you do need to know your assignments, but I feel like the defense is a lot easier to control since effort is a major factor.  As far as the offense, as you alluded to, a lot of it is predicated on execution and having all 5 guys on the same page.  We’ve been so banged up in this early part of the year, that I believe it’s really hindered our execution.  Now that doesn’t excuse the lazy passes and bone headed plays, but in terms of executing the system or play, I think it has hindered the cohesiveness.  Offense imo takes more practice to get right/corrected.  Now that we can practice 5 on 5, I believe that it will get corrected.

Archived