Phinisee's Finish

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys see him as a potential NBA player / draft pick (first or second round)? 

It's still too early to really place any comparisons to Yogi, the first few games of a guy's frosh season really are not a fair barometer, but I am beginning to see an NBA player here. I think he has the potential, particularly if he develops a consistent deep shot. Tough, tough kid, very good floor vision, stepping up big already as a frosh on the road, and solid shooting form to go with very good on-ball play.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Do you guys see him as a potential NBA player / draft pick (first or second round)? 

It's still too early to really place any comparisons to Yogi, the first few games of a guy's frosh season really are not a fair barometer, but I am beginning to see an NBA player here. I think he has the potential, particularly if he develops a consistent deep shot. Tough, tough kid, very good floor vision, stepping up big already as a frosh on the road, and solid shooting form to go with very good on-ball play.

I don't know if anybody can be another Yogi...he is in a league by himself.  But I see Phin as an Isiah.  Just taller.  Hell, when it is all said and done, Rob might be in a league by himself.  Now how that translates to the NBA.  I dunno.  But he will get an opportunity.  

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not sure he has the athleticism to play in the NBA.  Yogi was a lot quicker and a more dynamic scorer than Rob is/will be, I think.  On the other hand, I have been impressed with Rob’s size/strength, especially for a freshman — he’s already about as jacked as Yogi ever was.  I guess if he’s the best point guard in the Big Ten his senior year and leads IU on a tournament run, he might get a shot in the second round.

47 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Jeremy Lin is in the NBA.....if Rob can continue to get better and I see no reason he can't....he has the speed, ball handling, strength to defend to play in the NBA...but he needs to be a lights out shooter. I don't see him ever being an all-star but certainly could run a second unit. His height is his only real issue and getting switched off onto mismatches...but if he can make up for that at the other end of the floor....he will have a shot. To me it comes down to his ability to shoot the 3.

I noticed in the first video in your article who set the pick and rolled to the basket behind Rob and was in excellent position to dunk back a miss...

Clifton Moore.

The young man played some excellent minutes when called upon.  My suspicion is that he'll get called upon more as a result.

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I noticed in the first video in your article who set the pick and rolled to the basket behind Rob and was in excellent position to dunk back a miss...

Clifton Moore.

The young man played some excellent minutes when called upon.  My suspicion is that he'll get called upon more as a result.

In his time playing...you can argue he has been just as effective as Fitzner in some of Fitzner's games. Evan is just very streaky...sometimes he looks like a Div 2 player and other times he looks like a B1G player....hard to figure the guy out...but as a 5th year senior...he shouldn't have such peaks and valleys imo.

57 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll say this about RP. I've been really impressed with his strength. Body is already Big 10 ready. Can't imagine what he's going to look like in a couple of years. Maybe it was just the photo I saw on twitter....but serious strength there.

I think it was Morgan who commented early on, on how strong Rob is. Not 100% sure, but think it was Morgan. Rob is definitely a tough player -- deceptively, he is pretty ripped, but doesn't necessarily look really strong -- but seems he is

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When I first saw him play I thought he could turn out to be like Trey Burke of UM.  both was not rated that high and were considered to small but played with heart and over came the lack of size.

Seems like a good comparison. Kid is tough at the rim..not intimidated in the least I would say. Has a nice looking shot...just get more confident and continue to stroke the 3 with more consistency and he will be an All-B1G player some day.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When I first saw him play I thought he could turn out to be like Trey Burke of UM.  both was not rated that high and were considered to small but played with heart and over came the lack of size.

I like this sort of comparison. Burke out-played his ranking (outside top 100). He was a really good college point. Got him, at least, to the League. I am caveating all of this with it being too early to really project Phin to the League, but I can see it.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm not seeing that he might be an NBA player.  Yogi was much better at this point in his career though he improved greatly after that.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Potentially. I love Phinisee and am really excited to see him develop. I think to get to the NBA he's going to have to continue to improve finishing at the rim, which he's not bad at, and he's going to have to improve his shot-making and range. I've been pleasantly surprised with his 3-pt shooting but he's going to have to prove he can hit 3's beyond the catch/shoot ones he's mainly hit to this point (going off memory there of course). 

Yogi had/has the ability to break a defender down with the dribble, getting them to back pedal, and then drill a 3 on them. I'm not saying I want Phinisee out there firing 3's all day, but I think to make it to the NBA he's going to have to show he can hit those difficult type of shots, especially from deep, consistently. Trey Burke is a good comparison in terms of stature, athleticism, etc., but that dude was an assassin at times at Michigan in terms of making big, tough, contested shots. Can Phinisee develop that?

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Clifton Moore.

The edge that Clifton more provides is his ability to be effective without the ball. His rim protection, defense and rebounding will take us further than streaky shooting, in my opinion. That’s not saying that Fitz isn’t valuable, because he is... I just hope that we can see “Moore” of the same from now on. Sorry for the rant, but I agree on Moore.

Annnd Phinisee has been solid thus far!

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

In his time playing...you can argue he has been just as effective as Fitzner in some of Fitzner's games. Evan is just very streaky...sometimes he looks like a Div 2 player and other times he looks like a B1G player....hard to figure the guy out...but as a 5th year senior...he shouldn't have such peaks and valleys imo.

I think you have to get Fitzner out there to see if he is going to knock down shots, but if not, it looks like we have another option.  Game flow considerations might matter too.  Moore is obviously the more elite shot blocker of the two and could be really valuable against teams that emphasize attacking the rim.  I used to be nervous about Moore because he was, well, nervous, but lately Fitzner has had that nervous/uncomfortable look to him against teams that speed you up.

24 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I think you have to get Fitzner out there to see if he is going to knock down shots, but if not, it looks like we have another option.  Game flow considerations might matter too.  Moore is obviously the more elite shot blocker of the two and could be really valuable against teams that emphasize attacking the rim.  I used to be nervous about Moore because he was, well, nervous, but lately Fitzner has had that nervous/uncomfortable look to him against teams that speed you up.

Fitzner is in a tough spot though. His job/role is to stretch the floor and hit 3's, but he only plays 17mpg and in that time he's getting 2.2 3PA per game. Even the best shooters might miss 2 or 3 or even more in a row before they hit 4-5 straight. But, Fitzner isn't in a role where he gets the opportunity to work through that. He might miss two in a game and then miss his first the next game and all of the sudden even though he's shooting 45% from 3 he's "streaky". 

I'm not arguing for his role to be expanded, just saying it's a tough role when a lot of your minutes are dictated on shooting but you're not getting a ton of attempts. The flip side is, go get on the glass and create some other opportunities and easy shots so your role isn't reliant on making 3's all the time. 

As impressive of a start from a true freshman pg that I've seen at IU in a long time. Sure he will have some freshmen moments as the year goes on but anyone that isn't completely impressed with what he's put forth so far, likely had ridiculous expectations.

Likely a 4 year player and I'm really excited to watch him grow into All Big 10 level. He's definitely the type of guy you build around and makes it more fun for the Romeos, Trayces, Brooks' ect..with his passing ability.

My only knock was in the few prior games leading up to Penn State he needed to be more aggressive. He makes this team much more dynamic offensively by attacking the rim off the dribble drive and pick n roll and by setting up his teammates for open shots. He also has a hell of a stroke and I have no problem with him shooting when he's open.

That being said, like CAM implied, "he's a stud."

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Fitzner is in a tough spot though. His job/role is to stretch the floor and hit 3's, but he only plays 17mpg and in that time he's getting 2.2 3PA per game. Even the best shooters might miss 2 or 3 or even more in a row before they hit 4-5 straight. But, Fitzner isn't in a role where he gets the opportunity to work through that. He might miss two in a game and then miss his first the next game and all of the sudden even though he's shooting 45% from 3 he's "streaky". 

I'm not arguing for his role to be expanded, just saying it's a tough role when a lot of your minutes are dictated on shooting but you're not getting a ton of attempts. The flip side is, go get on the glass and create some other opportunities and easy shots so your role isn't reliant on making 3's all the time. 

Completely agree. Shooters need to shoot. If there's one complaint or concern (mild) that I have about CAM's system so far is that it is not developing our outside shooting, and maybe not emphasizing it. Of course, we lack depth of outside shooters, that's a problem, but then that's why we brought Fitz in, because the guy can flat out shoot -- and McBob has shown, at least in a limited number of shots, that he hits at a good clip, but he doesn't shoot enough either. I'd like to see us spread the floor more with more outside shooting by the guys who have shown they can hit.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Completely agree. Shooters need to shoot. If there's one complaint or concern (mild) that I have about CAM's system so far is that it is not developing our outside shooting, and maybe not emphasizing it. Of course, we lack depth of outside shooters, that's a problem, but then that's why we brought Fitz in, because the guy can flat out shoot -- and McBob has shown, at least in a limited number of shots, that he hits at a good clip, but he doesn't shoot enough either. I'd like to see us spread the floor more with more outside shooting by the guys who have shown they can hit.

Agree completely. If we can get Fitz and McRoberts hitting with higher volume and a guy like Phinisee hitting from 3 like he is or even a little better with a few more taken, all of the sudden things open up much more for Morgan and Langford, maybe it also makes the lane more clear for a guy like Smith to flash and get easy buckets near the rim too. 

We do have to acknowledge too that at least early in the season, Durham seems to have significantly improved his shooting.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree completely. If we can get Fitz and McRoberts hitting with higher volume and a guy like Phinisee hitting from 3 like he is or even a little better with a few more taken, all of the sudden things open up much more for Morgan and Langford, maybe it also makes the lane more clear for a guy like Smith to flash and get easy buckets near the rim too. 

We do have to acknowledge too that at least early in the season, Durham seems to have significantly improved his shooting.  

Oh yeah I'm very happy with what we're seeing from Al -- said i thought people were sleeping on him this year, so far, looks like many were. Kid has upped his game all around. He's been one of our steadier players, imo. It is early -- but I really like what we're seeing from Al.

Archived