IU / UM game

68Hoosier

I was at the game this past weekend and thought we played very well.  I question our play call at time but overall not bad.  We struggled stopping the run and getting our run going.  I think there were several bad calls but the two that stood out was the interception (Pass interference) play and the on side kick recovery.  I was on the side of the interception and it appeared to be clean.  The kick recovery has been posted all over the internet and appears he was in with control of the ball.  Another thing that I am starting to really dislike is the free timeout UM and other teams are getting for the injured players.  One in particular was the player that got up an was walking to the sideline and looked over and fell back down.  Not saying he was faking but there was at least 4 or 5 times a player was down when IU had the ball and driving in the hurry up offence.  2 during the OT if I remember correctly. 

I hear a lot of people say we need to be respected and playing for the BIG on a regular basis and we will start getting these calls.  I call BS.  If the call is clear and blatantly not called correctly on the field after a review then that is an issue and needs to be addressed.  I know not everyone feels this way but enough is enough.  Just my rant for the day. 

I'm usually not big on these kind of things, but I can think of a handful of times the last few years that we've been close in a B1G game and we've gotten the short end of the stick, especially on a review.  Does anybody remember the last time we were on the right end of one in a pivotal spot in a B1G game?  There might be one, but I sure seem to remember a lot more going against us.

And yes, the free injury timeouts are garbage.  Too often we see a guy go down for a minute, jog off the field, and come in a play or two later.  

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm usually not big on these kind of things, but I can think of a handful of times the last few years that we've been close in a B1G game and we've gotten the short end of the stick, especially on a review.  Does anybody remember the last time we were on the right end of one in a pivotal spot in a B1G game?  There might be one, but I sure seem to remember a lot more going against us.

And yes, the free injury timeouts are garbage.  Too often we see a guy go down for a minute, jog off the field, and come in a play or two later.  

Last year against #17 MSU in OT when Oakes missed the field goal to win and they got called for leaping, ended up making the next one to give us the W. Only time I can remember us getting the good end of anything, so your right about us getting the short end of the stick more times than not.

5 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Brock Huard admonished IU fans on TV for booing an "obviously legit" injury.

Honestly, some of the "injuries" I've seen this year rival soccer "injuries."  I can't remember who the opponent was, but I remember IU being on a roll and an opposing player going down to the turf.  When they showed the replay to find out what happened to him, he was just standing there, probably kind of tired, and just went to the ground - laughable.

It's a dirty, unsportsmanlike like tactic against high-tempo offenses, but it works...and not everyone is ethical.

I might be biased but having followed IU football for 30+ years now, I feel like we get the short end of the stick on calls quite a bit in conference play. Not that I'm excusing bad play (which we have had quite a bit of that over the years) but...maybe it is more a lack of officiating consistency in general and I just notice it more when it goes against us? Maybe.

As far as guys taking a fall to slow down our offense, of course that happens. 

Archived