Mock Drafts - 2019 & 2020

5fouls

I think it will be interesting to follow the fluctuations in the mock drafts for the next two drafts.

A tale of two mocks: In the first, Romeo has slipped out of the lottery.  In the second, he moved up 3 positions.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/12/05/2019-nba-draft-big-board-duke-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-cam-reddish-unc-nassir-little

Here's a couple of 2020 mocks.  No IU mentions......yet.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-nba-mock-draft.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to monitor starting with 2020 draft if one and done is abolished. If they eliminate oad it should mean more kids entering (whether they should or not is different subject). Have no clue on what ramifications will be only that if more players are eligible to go to draft...fewer slots available. Guys like Carey or Wiseman won't be playing college hoops.

49 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and if 16th is what Langford is hearing at season's end, I'll bet he stays. I think it's ridiculously low though. He'll get his jumper lined out.

No way he goes that low -- that's just bad "mock" ranking. Teams always draft with upside in mind as well as proven scoring. Romeo is already killing it, a natural scorer whose D is improving. The only limiting factor will be his outside shooting. If he has a poor outside shooting percentage at the end of the season, that could cause him to fall a bit, but to 16? Very, very unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Maybe Romeo plans on taking the Miles Bridges route,I'm just guessing,...with defense keying on Romeo the rest of the year it may make it harder on Romeo to show his true potential.

The problem is, Miles literally gained nothing by staying an extra year.  He was projected at he edge of the lottery after his freshman year and he went at the edge of the lottery after his soph year.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No way he goes that low -- that's just bad "mock" ranking. Teams always draft with upside in mind as well as proven scoring. Romeo is already killing it, a natural scorer whose D is improving. The only limiting factor will be his outside shooting. If he has a poor outside shooting percentage at the end of the season, that could cause him to fall a bit, but to 16? Very, very unlikely. 

If you thought 16 was bad.....but, hey, at least he would get to play with LBJ.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2019-nba-mock-draft.html

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The problem is, Miles literally gained nothing by staying an extra year.  He was projected at he edge of the lottery after his freshman year and he went at the edge of the lottery after his soph year.

Maybe did not gain anything in the draft by staying but he said he enjoyed being a college student and being around his friends.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

While it is true that the NBA drafts on 'potential', Romeo is not going to declare based on potential.  He will declare only when he feels he is ready.  

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe did not gain anything in the draft by staying but he said he enjoyed being a college student and being around his friends.

LOL...why did I know you would say something like that...

Yes, I was speaking strictly regarding his pro potential.  I don't doubt he enjoyed college life.  I just wonder, knowing what he knew after the draft, if he thought the extra year was worth it all things considered.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...why did I know you would say something like that...

Yes, I was speaking strictly regarding his pro potential.  I don't doubt he enjoyed college life.  I just wonder, knowing what he knew after the draft, if he thought the extra year was worth it all things considered.

Just remember an interview with him after he made his decision to stay and he said he just enjoyed being in college and like being around his teammates.  I guess they had a lot of bible studies with some of the team and he said it made him grow as a person so I doubt he regrets anything.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just remember an interview with him after he made his decision to stay and he said he just enjoyed being in college and like being around his teammates.  I guess they had a lot of bible studies with some of the team and he said it made him grow as a person so I doubt he regrets anything.

Considering the criminal history of some of the kids he's allowed to remain in the program,  Izzo must not be attending those bible studies.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I can respect that.  I won't question his decision to stay based on quality of life issues, but what I will say with some certainty is that staying did not help his draft stock and definitely put him a year behind getting to his second contract.  I can respect that maybe that didn't matter to him, but I wonder if it would have mattered more if he'd known the future.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Mock draft and now we are talking Bible studies?  Did I miss something here?

I think this will be a tough year with the draft rankings.  It is suppose to be a weak draft comapared to the past years.  i think the top 5-10 picks will be solid picks after that who knows.  I can't imagine Romeo falling past 10 and he will go closer to 5.  The only thing off is his shot and he looks to have solid form. I cannot imagine NBA teams not thinking that jumpshot won't become very good once he adds strength and works on his form.   His step back jumper is very good. It seems he is much better shooting off the dribble. 

22 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I think this will be a tough year with the draft rankings.  It is suppose to be a weak draft comapared to the past years.  i think the top 5-10 picks will be solid picks after that who knows.  I can't imagine Romeo falling past 10 and he will go closer to 5.  The only thing off is his shot and he looks to have solid form. I cannot imagine NBA teams not thinking that jumpshot won't become very good once he adds strength and works on his form.   His step back jumper is very good. It seems he is much better shooting off the dribble. 

Welcome aboard

12 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I would be shocked if Romeo opted for an extra year in college. However, there is something very unique about his personality...a quiet maturity that might lead him to think of getting an extra year of experience under his belt, another run at an NCAA title...who knows.

I would be too, but echo your thoughts on the possibility -- and if we have a run that falls short in the NCAA tourney, there's always the chance he would want another shot at it.

I have been told by someone that got relatively close to the family throughout high school, is that they think about marketing and branding quite a bit.  To be a Hoosier Legend could pay itself back.  Couple that with what others in the southern Indiana area have been saying, one and done is no done deal.  I personally would be surprised but we will all be on pins and needles.  

ESPN on Romeo.  Givony ran the draft express site which I think was the best until ESPN took him away.  Seems like there is a lot less information to read now.  Most of the below, most Hoosier fans already know. I don't agree he is a 4 unless it in matchups against really small lineups. I don't agree with the passive and coast.  Most high profile High School recruits have to learn to play hard all the time when going to the next level.  I think the term passive is used because he lets the game come to him.  I like that he doesn't force plays to happen unless you really need him in the moment. 

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
- Has prototypical physical tools for a NBA wing in terms of size, length, frame and athleticism. 
- Instinctive scorer. Difficult to contain in the open court or in a straight line with his strength, fluidity, body control and ability to get off his feet smoothly. Gets to the free throw line frequently. Shows potential as a jump-shooter. Career 80 percent on free throws. 
- Has outstanding defensive potential. Tall and long enough to play some 4 in smaller lineups. 

Improvement areas
- Jump shot is a work in progress. Career 30 percent 3-point shooter on over 400 attempts. Doesn't always shoot the same way. Will need to show he can stretch out his jumper in time. 
- Ballhandling can improve. Average decision-maker. 
- Has a tendency to get passive and coast. Will likely need time to find his rhythm within the college game.

Jonathan Givony

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

Archived