Mock Drafts - 2019 & 2020

5fouls

6 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

NBA will always be there, just like schools will always be there to finish one's degree, but there's a thing called 'window of opportunity'. There can be situations where a kid had a really good media exposure in March Madness and projected to be a lottery pick, then chose to stay in school only to see his draft stock plummeted. Also, players have to bear the risk of injury before even putting their names in the draft. For kids like Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett, it won't really matter when they put their names in the draft barring injuries, but there are lots of other kids that have relatively small window of opportunities. When they get a chance to get drafted in the first round, they must take it. After one or a few years of college, they only have about a dozen years to play professionally if they're good enough and lucky. 

I think this was the case for Kirk Haston.  He took the opportunity, and the money, and was smart with it.  I think it set him up for the rest of his life.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

At the end of the day...it is Romeo's choice.  The rest is pointless.  He decides what is best for him.  With that being said, I decided I will have another beer.

I don’t know if you should have another beer. 

If you do, it might add to your gut, or it could be the one that pushed you over the limit into the bad decision zone, or you might pick up the wrong ‘lady,’ or have indigestion.

on the other hand, you might really enjoy it, it might give you that end of evening light buzz, it might be a new brew you hadn’t sampled before and would give you a new conversation piece at the office.

it’s your decision, you shouldn’t let anyone on a message board influence you.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don’t know if you should have another beer. 

If you do, it might add to your gut, or it could be the one that pushed you over the limit into the bad decision zone, or you might pick up the wrong ‘lady,’ or have indigestion.

on the other hand, you might really enjoy it, it might give you that end of evening light buzz, it might be a new brew you hadn’t sampled before and would give you a new conversation piece at the office.

it’s your decision, you shouldn’t let anyone on a message board influence you.

Amen. 

16 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

As a former lottery pick, not fully polished, I wonder what Vic would recommend. 

Vic got bounced around 3 times before turning that corner and becoming a star in Indy. 

Well Vic did leave Bloomington with degree in hand.  And also played 3 years.  So, I would also be curious as to what take he would have on Romeo.  Even though it is a totally different set of scenarios.

We've had this discussion numerous times before. First 3 years of rookie scale for #1 pick is roughly $23M, #5 pick is $15M, #15 pick is $8M. 

This discussion relates to $ only. If I thought there was a chance of falling outside that top 15...I'd be foolish to not at least discuss coming back and improving one more year. Difference between 5 and 15 is $7M over first 3 years. 

The biggest thing though is that 2nd contract. Kids want to start the clock on that second contract as soon as possible. 

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We've had this discussion numerous times before. First 3 years of rookie scale for #1 pick is roughly $23M, #5 pick is $15M, #15 pick is $8M. 

This discussion relates to $ only. If I thought there was a chance of falling outside that top 15...I'd be foolish to not at least discuss coming back and improving one more year. Difference between 5 and 15 is $7M over first 3 years. 

The biggest thing though is that 2nd contract. Kids want to start the clock on that second contract as soon as possible. 

You just don't want that second contract to be in the G league:

Anthony Bennett

Anthony Harris Bennett (born March 14, 1993) is a Canadian professional basketball player for the Agua Caliente Clippers of the NBA G League. He played college basketball for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). He was the first overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers, becoming the first Canadian to be drafted number one overall.[1] Bennett is also a member of the Canadian national team.

He is considered one of the greatest draft busts ever.

College

UNLV (2012–2013)

Career history

2013–2014

Cleveland Cavaliers

2014–2015

Minnesota Timberwolves

2015–2016

Toronto Raptors

2015–2016

Raptors 905

2016–2017

Brooklyn Nets

Long Island Nets

Fenerbahçe

Northern Arizona Suns

2017–2018

Maine Red Claws

2018–present

Agua Caliente Clippers

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You just don't want that second contract to be in the G league:

Anthony Bennett

Anthony Harris Bennett (born March 14, 1993) is a Canadian professional basketball player for the Agua Caliente Clippers of the NBA G League. He played college basketball for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). He was the first overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers, becoming the first Canadian to be drafted number one overall.[1] Bennett is also a member of the Canadian national team.

He is considered one of the greatest draft busts ever.

College

UNLV (2012–2013)

Career history

2013–2014

Cleveland Cavaliers

2014–2015

Minnesota Timberwolves

2015–2016

Toronto Raptors

2015–2016

Raptors 905

2016–2017

Brooklyn Nets

Long Island Nets

Fenerbahçe

Northern Arizona Suns

2017–2018

Maine Red Claws

2018–present

Agua Caliente Clippers

And to think He was picked ahead of Oladipo

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Jared Sullinger of OSU.

It was definitely a good decision for OSU, but he lost millions of dollars because of it. He started having back problem in his sophomore season, and that pretty much killed his chance. 

Another example I can think of is one of the dirtiest college players of all time presented by Duke in Grayson Allen. He was a part of the championship team and had a great game against Wisconsin. I'm not 100% sure but I thought he was projected a lottery pick as a true freshman but stayed all 4 years and drafted in the first round.

Archived