UofL post game

Indykev

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wins matter and spine matters. Smith is soft regardless of opinion- plays 6’4 not 6’7”- free throws have to improve and Archie needs to continue to be animated with failure.  Lack of effort should never be acceptable and it isn’t- lack of execution, tighten the rope as you explore the right people to execute your processes 

1 minute ago, Password Is Taco said:

Wins matter and spine matters. Smith is soft regardless of opinion- plays 6’4 not 6’7”- free throws have to improve and Archie needs to continue to be animated with failure.  Lack of effort should never be acceptable and it isn’t- lack of execution, tighten the rope as you explore the right people to execute your processes 

Think you must be on the wrong board

2 minutes ago, Password Is Taco said:

I’m confused? Who didn’t play hard? 

49 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Wait till we play a really good team on the road. Doesn’t have to be Duke. Top half of this conference on the road will expose our poor free throw shooting and lack of outside consistency.

So we might lose on the road in the Big ten?

I think Archie and the team deserve some recognition for their ability to get quality looks near the basket as well as their on-ball defense.  They rarely got beat off of the dribble today.  The result was high percentage shots by us, while UL was forced to score from 3 or offensive boards most of the game.  

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can't ever say anything positive can you.  We played very well in the second half and won a big game against a good team,  We are 8-2 and have some good wins so why nt be happy with a win.

In terms of good wins - I believe we now have 4 top 50 KenPom wins. The most in the country 👍

Future secret  weapon?????

Gotta also remember,  as this team is starting to get healthy and gel a bit. Freshman stud, Jerome Hunter.....when he gets healthy, can be just what the doctor ordered for this team! That is, if he can hopefully make it into a game for the first time this year. If any of you guys have not gotten a chance to at least see some high school video of Jerome play, you are in for a treat.  He is an absolute stud. Just a shame he has to deal with these ongoing  medical issuses.

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Hoosiers have won 3 straight one possession games with an all Freshman backcourt on the floor at the end. This team will only get better. LVille has Jrs and Srs all over the roster and no freshmen.

Just imagine if it was "back in the day" and we had Romeo and Rob for 4 years.

Banners, baby...

Last year, we didn’t get our 8th win until December 29th, and by then, we also had 6 losses— including v Indiana State and IPFW. 

This team has taken on the personality of its head coach, hard nosed and won’t back down. It is still a work in progress, and I don’t think that we will ever be accused of “beautiful basketball “ this season, but I believe that this team is playing closer to how this board and the fans in general have wanted for the last 5 years or so. 

Not there yet, but I’ll take a win like today’s every game 

Watching the replay right now. While I know that I am looking through the lens of a victory, I am really encouraged. Several times we added a new wrinkle to sets that we have used in every game this year. We drew up a back cut read on a Baseline Out of Bounds play that was very well conceived. We did not connect as Green lost the ball out of bounds but it was really well executed otherwise.

The other thing about the offense is that the staff has moved the spacing around a bit and moved Romeo around a bit to get him the ball at the top of the key with the help spread out a little bit.

Defensively we have great energy and simply cost ourselves an incredible defensive performance with giving up too many offensive rebounds and the flurry by Louisville at the end. I think it was clear that we were ready for the actions that Louisville ran and had a fighting spirit the whole time. The defensive mistakes were honestly fairly limited. I think that they stood out a bit because they tended lead to dunks and also because they came in clumps. Overall though, I was braced for something worse when reading comments about the game but came away very pleased.

The slow start was more a matter of missing great looks than not being ready. It is clear that they knew what plays they planned to run on the first few possessions (especially the first) as the execution was tremendous. We produced just as many open looks with our offense as Louisville but we simply do not have as many confident shooters.

This was clearly our best game since Marquette and I think that our staff won the day in several respects. Our substitution pattern was quite good I thought and we had a game plan that utilized our posts as passers against a team where dribble penetration was going to be a challenge. This team has taken on Miller's personality in a lot of good ways. (If they can take on his shooting ability from college as well, they will be very good :)

Perhaps a couple more weeks to gel just before Conference season and this team starts to look more like the team we had hoped for. Big game next Saturday in terms of continuing to      re-establish IU as the premier program in the state and setting up an 11-2 start.

1 hour ago, Password Is Taco said:

I’ve missed most of this thread but he sure didn’t play 6’4 and soft on that posterizing dunk! He actually played decent today imo. If we hit our free throws that’s a 10 pt win or If Al knocked down a couple of those open jumpers. Much better handling pressure too. Just needed to rebound better.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

There are always gonna be "fun suckers" on these boards after a close win and even a blowout win. You really just have to look at all the positives and compare them with the negatives. I look at it this way...a huge positive that has been missing is Justin Smith's overall play, another positive was a reduction in team turnovers and the biggest positive is we WON THE GAME! We are not going to blow out alot of teams, especially in the BIG Ten. This conference is way too loaded. This was a huge nonconference win.....Louisville will be going to the NCAA tourney. 

Say "fun suckers and sunshine pumpers" five times fast. 

Archived