UofL post game

Indykev

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

May not be popular but a point on Rob.

His points were efficient and key and his D was solid. If he was playing the 2 or 3 that’s good by itself. 

But he’s the starting point. Seems like he’s getting a pass of sorts. If that were Al or Green the conversation would highlight 3 TO’s and 0 assists. He needs to facilitate the scoring more, he’s the primary point

What about the "hockey assist" how often does Rob find Romeo in the right spot to feed Juwan or Juwan to feed Justin? The NBA actually tracks the secondary assist.

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Lots to be happy about:

We won

No one can stop Romeo except Romeo

Great game from Davis

Solid game from Morgan with no fouls 

Good effort from Smith

Rob hit numerous clutch shots. 

Now something to complain about - the last four calls of the game were utter garbage. It wasn't a foul on Rob, it wasn't out on Rob, it wasn't a foul on Romeo and it wasn't a common foul when they fouled Romeo. Call those plays correctly and we win by closer to 10. 

I was FUMING about those calls.  It is absolutely baffling to me how we never seem to get any respect from the refs at AH.

On the other hand, I went over to the Louisville board to see what they were saying about the game... And they were all complaining about how we weren’t whistled for our first foul until 12 minutes into the game and how Romeo shot more FTs than their entire team, lol.  

36 minutes ago, rico said:

I have nothing but admiration for Coach Mack.  Louisville is gonna be force to be reckoned with.

I see him as a very talented Coach and he seems like a great communicator. That said though, there are several aspects of his tenure at Xavier that leave a lot to be desired from a class and discipline standpoint. His handling of the brawl between Xavier and Cincinnati and the comments made afterwards were egregious. He also tends to to slide derisive comments about his opponents in between the lines of his press conferences. See that post-game yesterday for an example.

He may grade out as a better coach than Miller in some ways, but I prefer the personality of Miller by miles and miles. 

6 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I see him as a very talented Coach and he seems like a great communicator. That said though, there are several aspects of his tenure at Xavier that leave a lot to be desired from a class and discipline standpoint. His handling of the brawl between Xavier and Cincinnati and the comments made afterwards were egregious. He also tends to to slide derisive comments about his opponents in between the lines of his press conferences. See that post-game yesterday for an example.

He may grade out as a better coach than Miller in some ways, but I prefer the personality of Miller by miles and miles. 

I must admit, I had forgotten about the brawl.  And yes, he handled that very poorly.

Nice “grind it out” win.  

IU made key plays at crunch time, and there is no better attribute to have as a team.  Give IU credit. 

It is a struggle to score at times.  If you have got a guy who can go and hit a jumper for you with ease, this whole team would be different. Right now, you’ve got athletic teams doubling on Morgan in the post and playing team defense on Romeo’s drives.  Louisville missed a lot of threes which is a credit to IU’s perimeter defense, but they did hit 12.  You can see how that kept them in the game. 

I don’t think as a team IU will wake up one day and be a good free throw shooting team.  Maybe a guy like Romeo will improve.  But, the free throw thing is in the team’s DNA and it frankly puts a lid of the team’s ceiling.  

In games where we miss free throws, the other team hits significantly more threes, and the other team is athletic enough to overhedge on Morgan and Romeo, that’s not a good a recipe for IU.  It was a very nice win today to overcome all that, because if you write that down as a formula on a sheet of paper, you would think IU has a limit on its upside.  

I like our recruiting, and by 2020 we are going after guys like Leal, but shooting should be an obvious emphasis in who we bring in.  Now, if you’ve got shooters around guys like Brooks and TJD, watch out.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like our recruiting, and by 2020 we are going after guys like Leal, but shooting should be an obvious emphasis in who we bring in.  Now, if you’ve got shooters around guys like Brooks and TJD, watch out.  

Agree.  I like the idea of "locking down the borders", but we could use a couple of reliable, dead-eye shooters.  I don't care if they come from Indiana, the USA, or Mars - just get 'em!

48 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was FUMING about those calls.  It is absolutely baffling to me how we never seem to get any respect from the refs at AH.

On the other hand, I went over to the Louisville board to see what they were saying about the game... And they were all complaining about how we weren’t whistled for our first foul until 12 minutes into the game and how Romeo shot more FTs than their entire team, lol.  

You guys would have cracked up at the Louisville press corp while waiting for Mack to show up.  It was all about how they didn't get any calls.  The foul totals would suggest they were right, but Louisville was playing very physical, especially on Langford.

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You guys would have cracked up at the Louisville press corp while waiting for Mack to show up.  It was all about how they didn't get any calls.  The foul totals would suggest they were right, but Louisville was playing very physical, especially on Langford.

I think that’s one of the more impressive things about our team.  We play very good team defense without fouling.  Are the refs going to miss some calls?  Sure, but overall, our defense has been impressive this early part of the season.

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Sooooooo...you are saying they were poor losers?

23 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

They shot 32 threes, while we put the ball in the paint just about every possession.  Of course we were going to draw more fouls with the way we were attacking the rim.

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

They shot 32 threes, while we put the ball in the paint just about every possession.  Of course we were going to draw more fouls with the way we were attacking the rim.

Exactly...and I think they should consider themselves fortunate the foul tallies weren’t more lopsided in our favor.

The aforementioned call on the three point shot was ludicrous. Also, there was apparently a reach in or hand check on a Louisville inbound after a made shot by us, inside two minutes that left me scratching my head. I think it was whistled against Phinisee? 

All told, I thought there could have been at least a half dozen more whistles against Louisville for being a bit overzealous on defense. And, I actually agreed with the two charge calls against Romeo.

Okay... I know some say they don't care, but where do you think we'll end up in tomorrow's polls?  After looking at the teams between us and #25 and who lost, I'm thinking maybe 27 or so?  I think we should be better than that, but that's what I would project.  Crazy that if we would have won the Arkansas game we'd be somewhere between 15-20.  

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Okay... I know some say they don't care, but where do you think we'll end up in tomorrow's polls?  After looking at the teams between us and #25 and who lost, I'm thinking maybe 27 or so?  I think we should be better than that, but that's what I would project.  Crazy that if we would have won the Arkansas game we'd be somewhere between 15-20.  

I think it's less about losing to Arkansas and more about looking terrible against UC Davis and UTA. 

I would say we should probably be 25th but I doubt it happens. We aren't playing up to our potential and I think voters will penalize us for that 

51 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Our style will draw fouls and it's not the overall numbers of calls but more so the timing of a particularly terrible call that galls me. That call could have literally been the difference between a win and a loss. One more bad call like that and IU quite possibly loses on a crazy shot at the end.  I'd simply like to see the officials better in crunch time.

Archived