UofL post game

Indykev

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like our recruiting, and by 2020 we are going after guys like Leal, but shooting should be an obvious emphasis in who we bring in.  Now, if you’ve got shooters around guys like Brooks and TJD, watch out.  

I get the sense Archie recruits guys that have the tools to play his defense and style...since that is where he places the most emphasis. I don't get the sense that shooting is something that he really values in a high school player. 

As CAM has said, get old and stay old...bring in the guys that fit the scheme...develop their skills...have them ready to contribute as late Sophomores and beyond.

We brought in one of the most prolific scorers in IN HS basketball history, and he's not a good spot up shooter. I feel like when you have the tools to be a high level recruit, you can get to the rim whenever you want, so you're not really forced to be a really good shooter. 

43 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think it's less about losing to Arkansas and more about looking terrible against UC Davis and UTA. 

I would say we should probably be 25th but I doubt it happens. We aren't playing up to our potential and I think voters will penalize us for that 

obviously it didn't help looking bad against those teams, but win the Arkansas one and we have 1 loss and certainly wouldn't be behind a Marquette team that we beat!  they were 28 this week.  i would agree that we probably should be 25, but starting the week at 35, i don't see us passing 10 teams when only about 4-5 in that range will have lost this week.  

Can we give Archie some praise? If another coach had won three straight games by 2 or less points we be talking about how well coached they are and how well they execute down the stretch. We win three in a row by that margin and we complain because we didn’t win by enough. 

We’re consistently holding teams to their lowest or close to lowest PPP of the season, while our distance shooting isn’t great we’re really efficient from the field and getting good shots, and we’re starting a freshmen backcourt that is coming up huge in close games, all while dealing with numerous injuries. We all said this 4 game stretch is huge and we’re heading into the Butler game 3-0. 

These last three games are the game we were clamoring for (tough, hard nosed defensive battles) under Crean and we probably would not have pulled them out. 

11 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Guessing the Duke beat down on national TV hurt us more than we realize.....

see again, obviously that didn't help, but my point all along has been that didn't surprise many people a whole lot.  the Arkansas loss did.  we would have gone into the Duke game ranked and that beat down wouldn't have dropped us all that much.  instead we went in unranked and it just knocked us to where we weren't even on the radar to be ranked.  on one hand, i understand it doesn't matter that much right now, but it sure would be nice to have 1 loss to one of the best teams in the nation, be ranked in the top 25, and looking at 4 games coming up that we should win...

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see again, obviously that didn't help, but my point all along has been that didn't surprise many people a whole lot.  the Arkansas loss did.  we would have gone into the Duke game ranked and that beat down wouldn't have dropped us all that much.  instead we went in unranked and it just knocked us to where we weren't even on the radar to be ranked.  on one hand, i understand it doesn't matter that much right now, but it sure would be nice to have 1 loss to one of the best teams in the nation, be ranked in the top 25, and looking at 4 games coming up that we should win...

Completely agree. If make one of those two layups at the end of Ark, IU is solidly ranked right now. Probably even top 15. We’d have 5 wins against Power 6 schools and two on the road. 

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Butler is most definitely a “could win” but not a “should win”. That game is as close to a coin flip as you can possibly get. 

18 hours ago, CapnRon said:

So we might lose on the road in the Big ten?

My point was we will win against good teams at home. I doubt we will lose by one or two points on the road to a Michigan st, Wisconsin, and certainly not Michigan. Yesterday We would have been beat by a lot more at the Yum center, especially as slow as we started. 

On paper our starting 5 is as good or better than many of the top 20 teams in America. I go off the eyeball test and as glad as I am about winning close games, I also have watched enough basketball in the last 40 years to understand we are not there yet. I have yet to see a team in March go very far without at least one really good outside shooter. Free throws will hopefully get better.

2 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

I see him as a very talented Coach and he seems like a great communicator. That said though, there are several aspects of his tenure at Xavier that leave a lot to be desired from a class and discipline standpoint. His handling of the brawl between Xavier and Cincinnati and the comments made afterwards were egregious. He also tends to to slide derisive comments about his opponents in between the lines of his press conferences. See that post-game yesterday for an example.

He may grade out as a better coach than Miller in some ways, but I prefer the personality of Miller by miles and miles. 

You’re absolutely spot on here.  We got the right guy.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I'm not sure tbh. But I want to see more of what we saw at the end of the Northwestern game. Where we just have one of the two take over. 

By my count, Romeo scored 6 of our last 12 and assisted on 2 other baskets (the Phinisee 3 and the Morgan layup) so while he may not have been spectacular, he was uber effective.

The assist on the Morgan layup showed me what Romeo Langford is all about. How many 5 star freshmen wouldn't have shot the jumper rather than making a pretty pass when Juwan slipped the screen? His instinct as a winner trumped his instinct as scorer.

I'm impressed...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

By my count, Romeo scored 6 of our last 12 and assisted on 2 other baskets (the Phinisee 3 and the Morgan layup) so while he may not have been spectacular, he was uber effective.

The assist on the Morgan layup showed me what Romeo Langford is all about. How many 5 star freshmen wouldn't have shot the jumper rather than making a pretty pass when Juwan slipped the screen? His instinct as a winner trumped his instinct as scorer.

I'm impressed...

Same here which is why I want to utilize him more 

Although nobody seems to know how long Race will be out, if/when he returns, I wonder what he will be able to give us.  He has been in the system a long time, and though he hasn't seen much time on the court, I would think he could give us consistent rotational play with some added front court toughness.

Rankings in December don’t matter too much. Does anybody think that there will remain 7 teams from the big ten in the top 25, after night in and night out of them playing each other? Their losses will pile up... I am convinced that we are on the right track, and it’s a bonus to know how to win close games. It’s a plus be able to learn from these close wins as opposed to close losses. I’d rather play our best in March. The ‘13 team peaked in January, and it was too late to learn of their flaws ( solving the zone) because of all the cupcakes we had played in November/ December. ( But it sure felt good to be #1 for most of the year ) Archie has a great staff, and I think it is the right philosophy to schedule tough games, fight through adversity, emphasizing these grind it out defensive games, it’s how you get past the Sweet Sixteen and beyond, and we haven’t been THAT tough in 31 years. If they are winning and not playing their best offensively, wait til that happens. See Justin’s performance yesterday as a clue to who we could become... I believe!!

3 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Agree.  I like the idea of "locking down the borders", but we could use a couple of reliable, dead-eye shooters.  I don't care if they come from Indiana, the USA, or Mars - just get 'em!

I think martians may run into some eligibility issues. Some weird stuff about their credits counting or something.

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

Rankings in December don’t matter too much. Does anybody think that there will remain 7 teams from the big ten in the top 25, after night in and night out of them playing each other? Their losses will pile up... I am convinced that we are on the right track, and it’s a bonus to know how to win close games. It’s a plus be able to learn from these close wins as opposed to close losses. I’d rather play our best in March. The ‘13 team peaked in January, and it was too late to learn of their flaws ( solving the zone) because of all the cupcakes we had played in November/ December. ( But it sure felt good to be #1 for most of the year ) Archie has a great staff, and I think it is the right philosophy to schedule tough games, fight through adversity, emphasizing these grind it out defensive games, it’s how you get past the Sweet Sixteen and beyond, and we haven’t been THAT tough in 31 years. If they are winning and not playing their best offensively, wait til that happens. See Justin’s performance yesterday as a clue to who we could become... I believe!!

Agree with your sentiments for the most part.  

The only part of rankings that may have some benefit is how it may sway a potential recruits and help in recruiting battles. 

As I was watching the game unfold Sat, I think we are beginning to see the fruits of CAM's coaching philosophy.  His ID for this team is DEFENSE first and foremost and OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY secondarily.  So far since being hired, he has obviously concentrated most of the practice time to DEFENSE.  Something all of us have been clamoring for since RMK.  Injuries and time have not allowed him to institute as much of the offense as he would have liked by now. However, the teams health issues are now improved such that the OFFENSE will now be developed.  J Smith is a good example.  So is DD.   Yesterday the offense created many good looks, the players simply missed the shots.  That will happen some nights.  

The team is slowly taking on CAM's personality.  It has taken a while.  They are showing in these last 3 games they can be Tough, Fundamentally sound, determined, and gritty.  Everything we as fans since the RMK days have been clamoring for. I for one am ecstatic to see it!  We'll have our growing pains going forward but no one can deny the upward trajectory CAM has put the program on at this point in time.  Go Hoosiers!

4 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I remember!

IU was good that year....

In football.

IU wins the national championship in basketball

IU football beats OSU and UM in the same year

I was a sophomore in high school and our basketball team won their first sectional since 1958

My nephew was born

5 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

My point was we will win against good teams at home. I doubt we will lose by one or two points on the road to a Michigan st, Wisconsin, and certainly not Michigan. Yesterday We would have been beat by a lot more at the Yum center, especially as slow as we started. 

On paper our starting 5 is as good or better than many of the top 20 teams in America. I go off the eyeball test and as glad as I am about winning close games, I also have watched enough basketball in the last 40 years to understand we are not there yet. I have yet to see a team in March go very far without at least one really good outside shooter. Free throws will hopefully get better.

One game at a time.  Enjoy the victories and successes within them.  JHs improvement and going up strong, RP showing to be a viable 3rd scoring option stretching the defense, DDs continued efficiency coming back from an injury where some thought he may not play again.  I have not mentioned Juwan or Romeo yet, we still have 2 that are out extended time with health issues.  Enjoy the moment.

As for when we play other tough teams on the road in conference.  We will improve as the season grinds on.  Personally, I will worry about that bridge when we get to it.

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Can we give Archie some praise? If another coach had won three straight games by 2 or less points we be talking about how well coached they are and how well they execute down the stretch. We win three in a row by that margin and we complain because we didn’t win by enough. 

We’re consistently holding teams to their lowest or close to lowest PPP of the season, while our distance shooting isn’t great we’re really efficient from the field and getting good shots, and we’re starting a freshmen backcourt that is coming up huge in close games, all while dealing with numerous injuries. We all said this 4 game stretch is huge and we’re heading into the Butler game 3-0. 

These last three games are the game we were clamoring for (tough, hard nosed defensive battles) under Crean and we probably would not have pulled them out. 

Voice of reason 

Archived