UofL post game

Indykev

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone else see Archie go ballistic in the 2nd half after I think it was 3 missed free throws in a row?  It was heading into a timeout and he was so pissed and was screaming at Ostrom.  

Yeah, I saw that. Archie wears his emotions on his sleeve, but seems to be good about not going into full meltdown chair slinging mode...

19 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Butler is most definitely a “could win” but not a “should win”. That game is as close to a coin flip as you can possibly get. 

IU SHOULD beat Butler, we have better players at almost every position and it will be a pro IU crowd.  I like IU by 8-10 points. 

Far from a coin flip, IU will definitely be favored. Butler will have no answer for Romeo or our post offense with Juwan/Deron.

On 12/9/2018 at 12:28 AM, Brass Cannon said:

While I still think there’s a lot or work to do.  Some thoughts

It really looks like Smith is figuring it out finally 

Rob could probably be a bit more assertive  but overall no issues 

Durham had a bad game but overall I’m confident that he will be solid more often than not. 

Davis is an amazingly efficient player to have off the bench. 

Green is Green spark off the bench hoped for more but him and Davis are a pretty good duo off the bench. 

What happened to Mcroberts doesn’t seem to have that same spark he had earlier in the year?

Romeo and Morgan I wish we would showcase their talent better. They are studs but we don’t seem to showcase it as much as we could. And yes I know Romeo had 21 points. 

Overall a very good win. Not going to see many teams that well coached with that talent the rest of the year. And probably none that aren’t from Michigan. 

I would much rather Romeo/Juwan get 20 a night within the offense than have some sort of Trae Young 1 on 5 situation everytime down the court. IU has too much talent for that and there's no reason for them to rely on 1 or 2 players.

That style flat out doesn't win consistently and almost always causes chemistry issues within the team. One of my favorite parts about Romeo's game is while he's an elite scorer, he's also very efficient and always makes the right play.(proven again by that key pass to Juwan for the 3 point play rather than forcing the shot.)

Romeo/Juwan have both been great and I hope they keep playing exactly the way they are. (While improving free throw/3 point shooting as the year goes on.)

That's what will likely cost Purdue this year, relying on one player to get 40 just to win a game. Carsen will likely wear down as the season wears on.

What a fun and exciting game to watch. My father in law is a big UL fan and has always hated IU.

2 things of concern for me though.  Can we hit some wide open 3's on a consistent basis? I dont understand it, RP with a dagger but man why cant we just hit a couple. 

Why in the world was Juwan anywhere close to the shooter on the final shot? Anyone else have a Dane Fife flashback or was it just me?

Great win this team is gonna be special and one we look back on as a team we can all be proud of

1 hour ago, SIHoosier26 said:

IU SHOULD beat Butler, we have better players at almost every position and it will be a pro IU crowd.  I like IU by 8-10 points. 

Far from a coin flip, IU will definitely be favored. Butler will have no answer for Romeo or our post offense with Juwan/Deron.

Stats don't back you up. You just have unrealistic expectations because of the names on the front of the jerseys.

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Stats don't back you up. You just have unrealistic expectations because of the names on the front of the jerseys.

Who does Butler have that is comparable  to Morgan or Davis? Joey Brunk? What about Romeo Langford? As athletically gifted as Justin Smith? 

Butler is a few games removed from losing to 4 loss Dayton, if IU is going to make the tourney this is a game they need to win. Losing to Butler in Indianapolis would be a huge disappointment. Don't worry though, they won't.

IU 73 Butler 65

18 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Who does Butler have that is comparable  to Morgan or Davis? Joey Brunk? What about Romeo Langford? As athletically gifted as Justin Smith? 

Butler is a few games removed from losing to 4 loss Dayton, if IU is going to make the tourney this is a game they need to win. Losing to Butler in Indianapolis would be a huge disappointment. Don't worry though, they won't.

IU 73 Butler 65

Butler did have that L  (Bahamas) and they lost to St. Louis @ St. Louis. 

They've also beaten Fla, Miami (OH), Ole Miss and they just beat N. Illinois 95-68. Not world beaters but solid W's.

KenPom is rounding into form this deep into the season.

We are #25. Butler is #26.

-- Butler's adjusted O is higher (22 to our 37), and our adjusted D is higher (22 to their 43). 

Indy is like a home game for Butler. This is by no means a gimmee win, Butler is well coached, and they're a solid team that is ranked basically neck and neck with our guys. It's not just who has a future lottery pick, it's the overall team and how they're playing. They're solid.

While we want our guys to win every game and every game potentially has tourney significance, I don't think saying this is a game they "need to win" has real traction. It's not a home game, and it's starting to sound like we're saying this every game we play. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

Great win. I live in New Albany and I love the silence from Cardinal fans. I would hear how Romeo is overrated yet I don't hear that now. I guess dropping 21 pts and hitting some key foul shots to secure the win has that effect. 

Let your play do your talking...how sweet it is!

33 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Butler did have that L  (Bahamas) and they lost to St. Louis @ St. Louis. 

They've also beaten Fla, Miami (OH), Ole Miss and they just beat N. Illinois 95-68. Not world beaters but solid W's.

KenPom is rounding into form this deep into the season.

We are #25. Butler is #26.

-- Butler's adjusted O is higher (22 to our 37), and our adjusted D is higher (22 to their 43). 

Indy is like a home game for Butler. This is by no means a gimmee win, Butler is well coached, and they're a solid team that is ranked basically neck and neck with our guys. It's not just who has a future lottery pick, it's the overall team and how they're playing. They're solid.

While we want our guys to win every game and every game potentially has tourney significance, I don't think saying this is a game they "need to win" has real traction. It's not a home game, and it's starting to sound like we're saying this every game we play. 

Kenpom also has 4 loss Purdue with no great wins 15th and 4 loss Florida with no great wins 22nd. That being said I take Kenpom with a grain of salt on a lot of their rankings.

I'm not saying Butler is some bad team but there is no way IU should lose to them with the talent they have. As far as it being a home game for Butler, I guarantee there will be far more IU fans in Indy than Butler fans so that's no excuse.

IU definitely has weaknesses and they're no juggernaut yet but we finally have most of our guys back from injury and some other guys are starting to come along. (Phinesee, Davis, Smith, ect..) The won't have the ability to guard Davis or Morgan in the post, and that should open things up for Romeo. I look for IU in a comfortable win going into a much more manageable stretch.

If IU is even close to the team a lot of us envisioned coming into the season it's a game they need to win. No excuses, it's time.

32 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Kenpom also has 4 loss Purdue with no great wins 15th and 4 loss Florida with no great wins 22nd. That being said I take Kenpom with a grain of salt on a lot of their rankings.

I'm not saying Butler is some bad team but there is no way IU should lose to them with the talent they have. As far as it being a home game for Butler, I guarantee there will be far more IU fans in Indy than Butler fans so that's no excuse.

IU definitely has weaknesses and they're no juggernaut yet but we finally have most of our guys back from injury and some other guys are starting to come along. (Phinesee, Davis, Smith, ect..) The won't have the ability to guard Davis or Morgan in the post, and that should open things up for Romeo. I look for IU in a comfortable win going into a much more manageable stretch.

If IU is even close to the team a lot of us envisioned coming into the season it's a game they need to win. No excuses, it's time.

Yes Kenpom's rankings of those other teams is a good point (though Fla is a solid club and clearly better than PU). I think you're discounting Butler, a team that has beaten IU even when we had loaded squads. It's a well coached, solid team and while IU travels to Indy well it's still basically a home game for Butler, they always play well in Indy.

Our team has its flaws, we have at best spotty 3-point shooting, we miss free throws at a ridiculous rate, and for that reason we've been in 3 2-point or less games in a row, including at home. We won those, which is big, but you're not considering that. This is not a team that, Marquette aside, runs over teams. I suspect we'll be in another dog fight. Here's to hoping we pull out another. If we don't, though, it won't be the end of a tourney run.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

What a fun and exciting game to watch. My father in law is a big UL fan and has always hated IU.

2 things of concern for me though.  Can we hit some wide open 3's on a consistent basis? I dont understand it, RP with a dagger but man why cant we just hit a couple. 

Why in the world was Juwan anywhere close to the shooter on the final shot? Anyone else have a Dane Fife flashback or was it just me?

Great win this team is gonna be special and one we look back on as a team we can all be proud of

Because we don't have consistent outside shooters. It's a hole we need to fill.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Had to rewind and get a video of it during the game, lol

I caught that.

Perhaps what we can take away from that is that the FT struggles are operator errors.

To be honest, when recruited to play basketball at this level, these kids shouldn’t require much practice time working on free throws. They should feel embarrassed if they’re one of the ones with the issues. Especially Morgan...he has worked so hard through injuries and adversity during his time in Bloomington, developing a grit to his offensive game that is really terrific, not being able to knock down seven out of ten from the line has got to drive him crazy.

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

I caught that.

Perhaps what we can take away from that is that the FT struggles are operator errors.

To be honest, when recruited to play basketball at this level, these kids shouldn’t require much practice time working on free throws. They should feel embarrassed if they’re one of the ones with the issues. Especially Morgan...he has worked so hard through injuries and adversity during his time in Bloomington, developing a grit to his offensive game that is really terrific, not being able to knock down seven out of ten from the line has got to drive him crazy.

In his career Archie only avg 1.6 FTA but was a career 84.6% shooter at the line. 

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think that should be BGleas’ title on this board.  

If he’s not online, we should be able to summon him for his wisdom like Billy Batson summoning the Elders on Shazam.  Is this mic on?

But, seriously, BGleas is so level headed.  

I appreciate the kind words, though if you asked my kids how I was behaving during the game they would disagree with level-headed 😀

Archived