"Home Court Officiating"

I've seen multiple posts regarding the lack of home cooking at AH lately.  I'm interested in how many people feel like we should get more calls than the other team while at home.  I agree that the calls at the end of the game were garbage.  They should have gone in our favor because that would be the correct call, not because we should get preferential treatment at home (in my opinion).  Since a surprising number of people have mentioned the lack of "Homr Court Officiating", I thought it would make soom good discussion.

In your opinion, should the home team get more favorable calls than the away team?  In your opinion, does this happen currently or not?  

I think that teams/coaches/players with certain levels of prestige may get calls due to bias, but I think most refs are doing their best to make the correct calls.  Whether this currently happens or not, I do not think that home teams deserve any type of advantage other than the one provided by fans and environment.

I believe some of it to be psychological with the refs.  Subconsciously having critical eyes upon them for calls one way but not the other can be a powerful force.

It happens in many arenas, should it happen?  Probably not.  There is no doubt it happens in many places.  SSAH doesn't seem to be one of those places.

On the bright side, this officiating is one more hurdle the team is overcoming which will only make them more resilient.

I always feel like in the Big 10 you have to be 8-9 points better than opponent on the road. Just the way it is. We enjoyed the greatest home court officiating for roughly 25 years. Sampson didn't allow it. Crean never was a guy that I think worked the officials the right way. Archie doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to take this much longer. Those calls in the final minutes yesterday should never happen.....let alone at home. 

I'll echo Po's thoughts. The resiliency this team is showing is pretty remarkable so far. With that said...I wouldn't mind a nice 20 point win one of these games. When I popped a beer after that win yesterday it had a shelf life of about 18 seconds.

2 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I believe some of it to be psychological with the refs.  Subconsciously having critical eyes upon them for calls one way but not the other can be a powerful force.

It happens in many arenas, should it happen?  Probably not.  There is no doubt it happens in many places.  SSAH doesn't seem to be one of those places.

On the bright side, this officiating is one more hurdle the team is overcoming which will only make them more resilient.

I agree with this. Everybody likes to be cheered, and nobody likes to be jeered. 

I thought the game yesterday was fairly officiated, which I prefer. Win on your merits as a basketball team.

Should it happen? No. Would I be naive to think it doesn't? Yes. While I don't think Indiana has been the beneficiary of much of it this year, we along with most other teams have in the past and it will happen. I think a lot of it is the what has been previously posted as a physiological thing in the refs part. I also think the players feel like they will get more calls at home, leading them to be more aggressive and hunting some of those fouls. Indiana has definitely gotten their fair share of calls in the past and probably will at certain points. We're not bereft of a little home cookin. 

Just don't let teddy v or Bo Borowski in the hall and I'm okay.  

Whether it should or shouldn't, it clearly does happen. Opposing fans didn't call AH "Assembly Calls" for no reason. Don't hear that much anymore. Some of that was sour grapes, but I don't think CBK could run the same screens today, home or away. Opposing teams talked about taking a physical beating at AH chasing IU's shooters.

The most one-sided venue in CBB today is "The Kahl's Center".  Truly a joke.

In an ideal world, the home team shouldn't get favorable calls. The problem is when some teams do, it creates an unevenness. You watch IU get called for non touch fouls at Duke, you would like to see some semblance of the same for your home games to even it up. I agree with Mack and IUFLA that the game was fairly officiated. We obviously noticed some calls that went against us late. We certainly didn't seem to benefit from any home cooking and when WI, MSU and others get those calls, and we don't, thats when I have a problem.

Yes in an ideal world home cooking shouldn't exist but it does. We get some calls at home we don't get on the road. But we don't seem to get the extremely lopsided calls some teams seem to get. It's all the more noticeable after playing a road game at a place like Arkansas. That was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in my entire life.

I agree.  There should be no such thing as home cooking.  But I might as well go out after breakfast and look for a unicorn because I’d have a better chance of finding one than not having home cooking as a fact of life.  

My biggest problem with  college officials, and it’s fundamental, is that they anticipate too much.  It should be more reactionary in the sense that, what exactly did you see?  Not, “here is a situation, and I expect this to happen, and that’s how I will call it.”

I’m not sure what they tell officials in training or review sessions, but it’s such a widespread problem, that I suspect there is an issue.  They may actually teach the anticipation thing, as in, “be ready for X in situation where....”  

NBA officiating is a different animal.  There are unwritten rules and codes you have to deal with at that level.  There’s star treatment etc.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree.  There should be no such thing as home cooking.  But I might as well go out after breakfast and look for a unicorn because I’d have a better chance of finding one than not having home cooking as a fact of life.  

My biggest problem with  college officials, and it’s fundamental, is that they anticipate too much.  It should be more reactionary in the sense that, what exactly did you see?  Not, “here is a situation, and I expect this to happen, and that’s how I will call it.”

I’m not sure what they tell officials in training or review sessions, but it’s such a widespread problem, that I suspect there is an issue.  They may actually teach the anticipation thing, as in, “be ready for X in situation where....”  

NBA officiating is a different animal.  There are unwritten rules and codes you have to deal with at that level.  There’s star treatment etc.  

The anticipation foul has gotten out of hand. I think the refs wanting to make a "timely call" is the issue.

I don’t think it should happen, but I definitely see it happening at other places (Duke, Wisconsin and more). If it’s going to be a thing then I do expect IU to benefit as well. I thought Northwestern was the worst, and while they weren’t awful yesterday there were some key awful calls that if had been called correctly IU wins by 8-10 instead of 1. 

The McMahon 3-point foul call was atrocious. I don't know how you guys can say the game was called fairly yesterday when that call is made at crunch time and had the potential to completely swing the game. Just a horrible call that has no place in the game. Officials should never reward a shooter for jumping sideways into a defender trying to avoid contact. Should have been a no-call or even an offensive foul. McMahon clearly initiated the contact.

There don't have to be any home cookin,just call a foul when it's a foul,the refs try to anticipate fouls before they ever happen,then after the call replays show the player was never even touched...I wonder if refs go back and watch the game to see how they did....I would think some would be embarrassed at the quality of job they really did.

I don’t expect to get bad calls...most of the time I think refs get caught up in the crowd and momentum sometimes but I also understand a coach can also work the refs to watch for things and put their eyes on where he wants them. Obviously Knight worked the refs like few others....Archie has a long way to go in that area. I just expect the calls to be consistent and when they aren’t and you aren’t getting benefit at home..that’s an issue.

5 hours ago, HoosierDoc said:

I've seen multiple posts regarding the lack of home cooking at AH lately.  I'm interested in how many people feel like we should get more calls than the other team while at home.  I agree that the calls at the end of the game were garbage.  They should have gone in our favor because that would be the correct call, not because we should get preferential treatment at home (in my opinion).  Since a surprising number of people have mentioned the lack of "Homr Court Officiating", I thought it would make soom good discussion.

In your opinion, should the home team get more favorable calls than the away team?  In your opinion, does this happen currently or not?  

I think that teams/coaches/players with certain levels of prestige may get calls due to bias, but I think most refs are doing their best to make the correct calls.  Whether this currently happens or not, I do not think that home teams deserve any type of advantage other than the one provided by fans and environment.

I don't care if we get every single call throughout a game, shoot 30 more free throws than the other team, and it still takes us 3 overtimes to win by 1. The only thing that matters is winning the game and every win looks the same in March.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

The McMahon 3-point foul call was atrocious. I don't know how you guys can say the game was called fairly yesterday when that call is made at crunch time and had the potential to completely swing the game. Just a horrible call that has no place in the game. Officials should never reward a shooter for jumping sideways into a defender trying to avoid contact. Should have been a no-call or even an offensive foul. McMahon clearly initiated the contact.

Between that and the horrible call on the Phinisee charge late which would have been a 3-pt play, that’s a 6 point swing. That’s why I never buy the ‘refs didn’t cost us the game’ thing. Refs are never the complete reason, just like free throws are never the complete reason or turnovers, etc., but there are three entities that have a major part in the outcome of games and the refs are one of them. 

I actually enjoyed how the refs seemed to swallow their whistles in the game. It was fun to watch the game flow and players playing aggressively.  This was more like the game I fell in love with as a kid. As everyone mentioned, it was the last few minutes that really put the game in question, and if for not making one of the free throws at the end, this game goes into OT.  

I know the rules committee creates point of emphasis calls, and the thought is players and coaches will adjust and that number of whistles will decrease, I just don't see it.  Games are stopped to check the monitor too much, good players sit for long stretches to avoid getting their third foul, etc.  This has been getting worse over the years, and the games are simply not as enjoyable to watch.   

Of all the schools in the B1G, the one that always stands our for ridiculous, patently obvious home-court cooking is Wisconsin. It gets to the point where it's just absurd. Yes, of course it happens -- all the time, like clockwork, and some schools get even more favorable treatment, routinely, than others. Wiscy, and Duke are both just absurdly weighted places to play. Why that is, psychology, etc., not sure, that it is, absolutely obvious.

No one "wants" unfavorable treatment (well, outside of Kentucky anyway). But you sure as hell don't think you should get hosed at home by the refs, and lately, it's been getting close to that. 

10 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I actually enjoyed how the refs seemed to swallow their whistles in the game. It was fun to watch the game flow and players playing aggressively.  This was more like the game I fell in love with as a kid. As everyone mentioned, it was the last few minutes that really put the game in question, and if for not making one of the free throws at the end, this game goes into OT.  

I know the rules committee creates point of emphasis calls, and the thought is players and coaches will adjust and that number of whistles will decrease, I just don't see it.  Games are stopped to check the monitor too much, good players sit for long stretches to avoid getting their third foul, etc.  This has been getting worse over the years, and the games are simply not as enjoyable to watch.   

Agree on swallowing the whistles. One thing I hate about college basketball is all the stupid touch fouls, how often they call moving screens, and the awful charge callsI think the point most are making is that the calls that were made, especially down the stretch were really bad calls against IU. 

Home teams tend to play more aggressively. We were very passive at Duke. Bring Duke to Bloomimgton and I bet our guys play more downhill. Sure, we still lose, but the aggressiveness likely would have been different.

Aggressive plays also tend to get the benefit of the call. I think this aspect also plays into it.

7 hours ago, HoosierDoc said:

No, the home team should not be given calls but should be called evenly.  For a long time we as IU fans we are used to getting most of the 50/50 calls at home because of RMK.  Watching a lot of old games I saw how many calls we got at home and it is easier now seeing it without a bias eyes.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No, the home team should not be given calls but should be called evenly.  For a long time we as IU fans we are used to getting most of the 50/50 calls at home because of RMK.  Watching a lot of old games I saw how many calls we got at home and it is easier now seeing it without a bias eyes.

There is a point here - some coaches work the refs - Izzo drives me nuts with his constant wining to the zebras (though it kind of works). K is another 

In general star players for each team get 50/50 calls. If you watch our first 10+games Morgan and Romeo get very few of those calls. Even when each of those players make a basket they rarely get the and one.  Especially at home. Watch the game from yesterday. Both players should have gotten and one foul shots. Not sure if they would have made them or not but I’m sur Zion woul have gotten that call. I’m not saying it has cost us any game but if u watch each game closely those 50/50 calls have kept it very close for us especially at home. That is where Archie will struggle in the close game against MSU or UM. 

Archived