R.I.P. Eric Anderson

Shindig

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Very sad. Eric was my favorite player on the team while I was a student. Partially because we were both from IL. I hope someone can post any followups on his cause of death. Always disconcerting to see those younger than you pass.

i went to a Knicks Pacers game in Indy and was wearing a 32 Indiana jersey and was waiting in the tunnel and Eric was one of the players taken into the media room to do an interview He saw me and my roommate and invited us in. Very sad to hear.

Awful news, RIP! I was somewhere around 5th-8th grade when he was at IU and as someone who was sort of a PF that could shoot at that age, I remember him as one of the first players my Dad would point out as someone I should watch and pay attention too. 

A fun story, my best friend at that time was a kid whose grandfather was a pretty prominent guy in Bloomington and IU athletics (he was on one of the national title bball teams). Well, we went to IU/RMK basketball camp one year and roomed together. We were bored in the dorms one day in between sessions so we started looking up IU players in the phone book and calling them. The only number that picked up was Eric Anderon's. My friend spoke to Eric, told him who his grandfather was, and asked him to come watch our game during camp the next day.

Low and behold, the next day in walks Eric Anderson. 

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Awful news, RIP! I was somewhere around 5th-8th grade when he was at IU and as someone who was sort of a PF that could shoot at that age, I remember him as one of the first players my Dad would point out as someone I should watch and pay attention too. 

A fun story, my best friend at that time was a kid whose grandfather was a pretty prominent guy in Bloomington and IU athletics (he was on one of the national title bball teams). Well, we went to IU/RMK basketball camp one year and roomed together. We were bored in the dorms one day in between sessions so we started looking up IU players in the phone book and calling them. The only number that picked up was Eric Anderon's. My friend spoke to Eric, told him who his grandfather was, and asked him to come watch our game during camp the next day.

Low and behold, the next day in walks Eric Anderson. 

Neat story. 

Here's another way to get in touch with former IU players. Being a member of Indiana Universities Alumni Association, one can get current addresses of former players (as well as former students).   We had a member on Decker's old Hoosier Nation Scout site, who collected autographs. Several times when he could not get find the address of a former player he wanted/needed an autograph from, he would ask me to help.  Many times, I was able to help, and most of the time, when he wrote a request, he got a response back with an autograph enclosed.  

Archived