R.I.P. Eric Anderson

Shindig

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Thanks for sharing. I was at IU those years and it’s tough.  Those quotes are very, very touching.  I especially appreciated Brian Evans’ comments, but all were good.  I’m glad Coach Knight was quoted too.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Players mentioned his son- Sam. No mention of a wife. 

Tracy was a real piece of work. Anyone that lived on the North Side knows of her very well. Trainer to the stars (Madonna, Paltrow). They had a child together. You can google the rest. 

In terms of remembering Eric. One thing that I'll always remember is standing at Murphy's before a Cubs game and I look over as this guy is walking by me....I go shoot man your Eric Anderson! Stopped and talked to us for 15 minutes over a beer. Been lucky to meet several players over the years. The one thing that I remember about meeting him was he downplayed his stardom or whatever you want to call it. RIP to him. Pure Hoosier. 

This is just hitting hard, as did Daryl Thomas’ passing. Eric was kind enough to let my kids get a picture with him at our grade school one day.  He was also the first athletic director at Guerin Catholic High School in Noblesville, IN. Came to my church’s annual auction one year as well, and donated an autographed ball. He was a gem. Way too young. My prayers and thoughts go out to his son and all of his family and friends.

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What a bummer.  I only really remember some of his senior due to being young.  But he was one of if not my favorite that year. Was able to meet him and get his autograph.  48 is just too young to go. 

I remember how well Eric played in the tournament and without him we wouldn't have made the final four.  He did not complain when Nover took his starting spot but he played a lot of minutes and I think scored in double figures in every tournament game that year.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember how well Eric played in the tournament and without him we wouldn't have made the final four.  He did not complain when Nover took his starting spot but he played a lot of minutes and I think scored in double figures in every tournament game that year.

I remember that too. Also remember that he busted his chin open during the florida state game i believe.  Got patched up and kept going. Very gritty scrappy player.  Also a pro at playing basketball and chewing gum at the same time. 

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

MOP of the West Region that year. Can you imagine a McDonald's All American, Big Ten Freshman POY in today's world seeing his starting role and playing time dwindle as the years went on? 

Gee whiz. My five year old was in the hospital for five days in March with pneumonia.  Had this happened before that and I had known about it, I would have been freaked out even more.  I remember someone telling me when he got out that most people don't understand just how serious pneumonia can be.  

My condolences to his family.  

34 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Gee whiz. My five year old was in the hospital for five days in March with pneumonia.  Had this happened before that and I had known about it, I would have been freaked out even more.  I remember someone telling me when he got out that most people don't understand just how serious pneumonia can be.  

Pneumonia is one of the biggest concerns we have always had with Ayden. Scary stuff

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Big time. Especially with kids or older than 65 is the high risk zone. Having this happen at age 48 for Eric Anderson is extremely rare. Either way pneumonia is nothing to ever be normal with. Can be very dangerous.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:21 PM, FKIM01 said:

I don't have any problem with the welfare check.  The problem I have is why weren't others checking in on him?  I take it his Sister didn't live close and they communicated regularly.  Just sad.  I imagine the signs were there but went unnoticed.

I just noticed I left out the contraction.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'd forgotten about James Hardy. What a sad story. I remember thinking that recruiting class (DJ White, Vaden, Ratliff, and Hardy) would be special. DJ held up his end, buy the others were disappointing.

JMO....but Ratliff was the only disappointment there.  Vaden just chose to follow Davis to UAB and Hardy decided his sport was football.  BTW, Vaden ended up scoring over 2,000 points in his collegiate career.

^^ Vaden could have been a special player from Indiana in Candy Stripes.  However, he felt a kinship to Mike Davis who helped Robert get through a troubled time in his life, after losing his father. Something I was not aware of, until later.   Davis, in effect became Robert's surrogate father.  They became close.  As a result Robert followed Davis to UAB, and had to sit out a year.  I watched him play for Davis at UAB.  And Vaden was a very good shooter, I think averaging over 20 PPG at UAB. , with what I believe one game over 40 points. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^ Vaden could have been a special player from Indiana in Candy Stripes.  However, he felt a kinship to Mike Davis who helped Robert get through a troubled time in his life, after losing his father. Something I was not aware of, until later.   Davis, in effect became Robert's surrogate father.  They became close.  As a result Robert followed Davis to UAB, and had to sit out a year.  I watched him play for Davis at UAB.  And Vaden was a very good shooter, I think averaging over 20 PPG at UAB. , with what I believe one game over 40 points. 

I don't know the exact stats without looking them up, but I am thinking Robert had around 800 points his 2 years here.  That is pretty damn good.  I would surmise that had he stayed he would have been an IU legend.  The guy could flat arsz shoot.

Archived