Archie Miller in Close Games

rbkl

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, rbkl said:

Jordan Sperber created an incredible chart with coaches and their ability to finish in close games. I think the data speaks for itself, but it really does reinforce why we have the right coach leading the team.

Looks like we should have went after Andrew Toole? :coffee:

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This picture is worth a 1000 words. 

I’m not quite sure what it’s worth.

I don’t think it’s much indication of coaching ability. Crean ranks higher than Billy Donovan. Steve Alford ranks higher than Sean Miller and Rick Pitino. Mike Davis higher than Tom Izzo. 

One thing it is worth, is telling us that Archie has done a good job in close games. But that’s about it. It is nice to see the company that Archie is in though (Brad Stevens, Boeheim, Self, Few)

4 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I don’t think it’s much indication of coaching ability. Crean ranks higher than Billy Donovan. Steve Alford ranks higher than Sean Miller and Rick Pitino. Mike Davis higher than Tom Izzo. 

One thing it is worth, is telling us that Archie has done a good job in close games. But that’s about it. It is nice to see the company that Archie is in though (Brad Stevens, Boeheim, Self, Few)

Exactly -- it's a good barometer of CAM's closing close games, but it's not a chart on which to base overall comparison of coaching ability.

Seems like this chart starts to truly calibrate once a coach gets in about 80 games worth, but its encouraging to see Arch high already with the chances that he's had for this stat. I will take a high% winning coach in close games despite not as many opportunities to showcase like Arch than stick with the very consistently average coach like Tom.

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I think it accurately represents one measure of coaching ability. Would be neat to see one for recruiting. Maybe won loss vs top 50 teams? There will always be aberrations but I think the usefulness is looking at patterns and the bigger picture. Generally, you want coaches at the top and not the bottom. Archie looks to be off to a good start here.

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think it accurately represents one measure of coaching ability. Would be neat to see one for recruiting. Maybe won loss vs top 50 teams? There will always be aberrations but I think the usefulness is looking at patterns and the bigger picture. Generally, you want coaches at the top and not the bottom. Archie looks to be off to a good start here.

Worth noting as I recall that Crean was very high on won / loss vs. top 50 teams. Can't ever really engage in accurate direct coach-coach comparisons based on one stat or another. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Worth noting as I recall that Crean was very high on won / loss vs. top 50 teams. Can't ever really engage in accurate direct coach-coach comparisons based on one stat or another. 

True and I believe almost all of those were in Assembly Hall.  Ultimately what matters is post season success.  Everything else is a detail.

52 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

True and I believe almost all of those were in Assembly Hall.  Ultimately what matters is post season success.  Everything else is a detail.

I disagree, B1G championships and regular season success matter a great deal, the tourney is often a crap shoot and matchups. We all know Crean didn’t recruit or win consistently enough for IU, but the 2 B1G championships and national coach of the year wasn’t chopped liver 

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Let me see if I follow. Crean is a bad coach and Chris Mack and Lavell Jordan are very good coaches? Is that what I am hearing, because both those guys have national championships right? Oh no they dont but they have multiple Final 4's right no not it either.  Maybe it's that they have less hair. That's it gotta be

Archived