Archie Miller in Close Games

rbkl

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I disagree, B1G championships and regular season success matter a great deal, the tourney is often a crap shoot and matchups. We all know Crean didn’t recruit or win consistently enough for IU, but the 2 B1G championships and national coach of the year wasn’t chopped liver 

Why is IU unanimously considered the better program than Purdue?  Purdue leads the series and has more B1G championships.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Didn't want to start a new thread for this.  So, since this thread is about Archie. Decided to put it here.  On his Monday show (Dec.10) Archie said he is considering bringing in a free throw shooting coach. 

Steve Alford?  LOL

21 hours ago, rbkl said:

Jordan Sperber created an incredible chart with coaches and their ability to finish in close games. I think the data speaks for itself, but it really does reinforce why we have the right coach leading the team.

Interesting to see both Rob Senderoff and Kelvin Sampson right next to Archie in that graphic...

33 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Jordan Hulls?? Mostly kidding since he is likely out of the country, but I'd imagine you could do worse.

The interesting thing about his thinking about bringing in a free throw coach, is that it was prompted by a text that Archie received from his father. Who specifically pointed towards IU's poor free throw shooting. Archie said since it was his father who pointed towards IU's free throw shooting, that he had better take a harder look at IU's free throw shooting.

10 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

Interesting to see both Rob Senderoff and Kelvin Sampson right next to Archie in that graphic...

I don't think any of us ever questioned Kelvin's coaching acumen.  It was just the other "stuff" which sent me off. And I am sure all of you fine people as well.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why is IU unanimously considered the better program than Purdue?  Purdue leads the series and has more B1G championships.  

Apples and oranges. You're talking about coaches, not programs. Of course IU's NC's matter. But as to whether a coach is a good coach, you can't ignore regular season coaching and championships -- I guess Bo Ryan sucked, etc. Come on now.

57 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The interesting thing about his thinking about bringing in a free throw coach, is that it was prompted by a text that Archie received from his father. Who specifically pointed towards IU's poor free throw shooting. Archie said since it was his father who pointed towards IU's free throw shooting, that he had better take a harder look at IU's free throw shooting.

Love Archie but seriously...that's what it took for him to decide to take action on free throws?  How many times have us casual fans mentioned the need to focus on free throws during Archie's time at IU?

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Love Archie but seriously...that's what it took for him to decide to take action on free throws?  How many times have us casual fans mentioned the need to focus on free throws during Archie's time at IU?

Sounds like it may have been an attempt at humor. These were his comments:

On Indiana’s free throw shooting: “I’m concerned about free throw shooting. It’s one of those things where … because you understand how valuable the possessions are when you get fouled and go to the line and either come up short on two or miss the front end of a one-and-one, that’s like a turnover. That’s like an empty possession that you didn’t get anything out of. When you get fouled, it’s a good thing and I think we went to the line 25 times in the game versus Louisville’s 13. So be able to shoot that many more in the game was a big discrepancy where we should have been able to take more advantage of.”

Miller said his Dad text him that Indiana needs to “get on a new free throw plan.” He then said, “It must be hitting an all-timer if he’s paying attention to it. We maybe gotta get a free throw coach in here, I don’t know. I thought I was a pretty good free throw shooter, but I’m not a good free throw coach.”

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

They have been working on it but it's not really working. If CAM starts listening to the casual fan we are in serious trouble and he wont be coaching long. His father is his mentor and I am sure it carries a little more weight than the casual fan. CAM I am sure never thought he would need a FT coach at IU. if the man u trust most says get one you should probably consider it 

I think some of you are misconstruing his comments. Please read the transcript 13th & Jackson posted above. My reading indicates Archie is very well aware of the free throw issue. So is his father. It is a leap to infer his father suggested a free throw coach and that just because his father addressed the issue that Archie was unaware of it. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I think some of you are misconstruing his comments. Please read the transcript 13th & Jackson posted above. My reading indicates Archie is very well aware of the free throw issue. So is his father. It is a leap to infer his father suggested a free throw coach and that just because his father addressed the issue that Archie was unaware of it. 

Yep. If you watch the radio show (weird thing to say), he brings up his father in a very tongue in cheek way. It's clear he's known our FT shooting has been an issue for quite some time. His tone suggested even his father is piling on him about it, and he can't escape the FT criticism at home. He was being funny in his extremely dry way.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

We have to stop assuming these coaches are idiots. You don't get to become the IU basketball coach by being a moron. It's not like Archie got the text and went 'wow, I had no idea we should be practicing free throws, I didn't even know we were shooting them poorly. Thanks, Dad!"

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We have to stop assuming these coaches are idiots. You don't get to become the IU basketball coach by being a moron. It's not like Archie got the text and went 'wow, I had no idea we should be practicing free throws, I didn't even know we were shooting them poorly. Thanks, Dad!"

All I had to go on prior to the transcript post was what was posted here.  I don't think anyone here is suggesting he's an idiot or a moron, but there was no way to know whether he was serious or joking based on what was reported.  It's just maddening that it's such a problem and there doesn't seem to be much progress in getting better.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

All I had to go on prior to the transcript post was what was posted here.  I don't think anyone here is suggesting he's an idiot or a moron, but there was no way to know whether he was serious or joking based on what was reported.  It's just maddening that it's such a problem and there doesn't seem to be much progress in getting better.

Wasn't trying to give you a hard time, so my bad if it came off that way.

But, even given the limited part of the transcript, of course Archie knows we need to work on free throw shooting and of course they have been. 

Agree though that the free throw shooting is maddening. Hopefully they get it straightened out. One piece of criticism I had during the end of the Louisville game was why Archie didn't put Durham and Green in, two of our better/more reliable free throw shooters, in place of Smith and Morgan when Louisivlle was in press/foul mode. Despite the two misses late, I do think Langford has improved the last few games, as has Davis, Phinisee and a few others. Need to get Smith and Morgan shooting better and we'll be in good shape. 

Archived