Archie Miller in Close Games

rbkl

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wasn't trying to give you a hard time, so my bad if it came off that way.

But, even given the limited part of the transcript, of course Archie knows we need to work on free throw shooting and of course they have been. 

Agree though that the free throw shooting is maddening. Hopefully they get it straightened out. One piece of criticism I had during the end of the Louisville game was why Archie didn't put Durham and Green in, two of our better/more reliable free throw shooters, in place of Smith and Morgan when Louisivlle was in press/foul mode. Despite the two misses late, I do think Langford has improved the last few games, as has Davis, Phinisee and a few others. Need to get Smith and Morgan shooting better and we'll be in good shape. 

Juwan's FT shooting is beyond explanation.

image.png.bf94ff07808be09aae5ed0b66bf70e5a.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Juwan's FT shooting is beyond explanation.

image.png.bf94ff07808be09aae5ed0b66bf70e5a.png

Yeah...I don't think there's a player that mystifies me more in that regard.  He's so good in almost every other aspect of the game and yet so bad at the line.  It's like he's channeling his inner Ethan Happ or something, except I don't think Ethan Happ shoots the 3 at all.

I'm sitting here watching ESPN'S 30 for 30, The Fall of Bob Knight. Man......this  brings back soooo many good IU memories and many more bad IU memories. 

I was a Sophomore at IU in 1987 and remember running down to total pandemonium on Kirkwood after Keith Smart hit that Winning shot.

I also remember thinking to myself in the mid 90s that Bob Knight's time at IU was probably coming to an end soon.

I used to believe that Bob Knight, in my eyes, was everything good and successful that represented Indiana basketball. This was the way it really was at IU from 1971 till the mid 90s. 

Bob Knight and IU basketball, as I knew it, was not the same.

I remember a year in the mid 90s when IU was playing in the NCAA tourney at the RCA dome in Indianapolis. Knight and the team were at the Mariot downtown one afternoon. I waited outside the door in hopes that I could get an autograph from him. Well he eventually came out, so I asked him, "Hey coach, ...Can I get your autograph?" I specifically remember his frustrated response.....He looked at me as if I asked him for money. He sighed and then asked me very hatefully,...."What do you want me write?" I said, "Good Luck, Bob Knight".

I was frustrated and embarrassed to what IU had become. When Knight was eventually fired, I was not shocked at all...as a matter of fact I was glad.

This is where Archie comes in.....He is sort of that Knight clone, minus the verbal and physical abuse. This is where Archie can rewrite history at IU and get "Her" back in good graces with not only the state of Indiana, but the nation.

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I'm sitting here watching ESPN'S 30 for 30, The Fall of Bob Knight. Man......this  brings back soooo many good IU memories and many more bad IU memories. 

I was a Sophomore at IU in 1987 and remember running down to total pandemonium on Kirkwood after Keith Smart hit that Winning shot.

I also remember thinking to myself in the mid 90s that Bob Knight's time at IU was probably coming to an end soon.

I used to believe that Bob Knight, in my eyes, was everything good and successful that represented Indiana basketball. This was the way it really was at IU from 1971 till the mid 90s. 

Bob Knight and IU basketball, as I knew it, was not the same. I was frustrated and embarrassed to what IU had become. When Knight was eventually fired, I was not shocked at all...as a matter of fact I was glad.

This where Archie comes in.....He is sort of that Knight clone, minus the verbal and physical abuse. This is where Archie can rewrite history at IU and get "Her" back in good graces with not only the state of Indiana, but the nation.

I was a junior at IU and was at the Student Union when Smart hit that shot, jumping up and down on top of a table and then mad rushing outside with the thousands in the street - special night 

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Yes it was....i specifically remember on Kirkwood, across from Nicks, there was a couch on fire in middle of the street while students where climbing up every light post and hanging off of them.

Couch on fire? Amazing the UK fans were celebrating with us...

59 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Bob Knight and IU basketball, as I knew it, was not the same.

I remember a year in the mid 90s when IU was playing in the NCAA tourney at the RCA dome in Indianapolis. Knight and the team were at the Mariot downtown one afternoon. I waited outside the door in hopes that I could get an autograph from him. Well he eventually came out, so I asked him, "Hey coach, ...Can I get your autograph?" I specifically remember his frustrated response.....He looked at me as if I asked him for money. He sighed and then asked me very hatefully,...."What do you want me write?" I said, "Good Luck, Bob Knight".

I was frustrated and embarrassed to what IU had become. When Knight was eventually fired, I was not shocked at all...as a matter of fact I was glad.

This is where Archie comes in.....He is sort of that Knight clone, minus the verbal and physical abuse. This is where Archie can rewrite history at IU and get "Her" back in good graces with not only the state of Indiana, but the nation.

I think this sums it up. 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Yes it was....i specifically remember on Kirkwood, across from Nicks, there was a couch on fire in middle of the street while students where climbing up every light post and hanging off of them.

I specifically remember the fish from the fountain outside HPER being carried over our heads... couldn’t see pavement for hundreds of yards, students in trees and hanging from lamp posts - yes, special 

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I was a junior at IU and was at the Student Union when Smart hit that shot, jumping up and down on top of a table and then mad rushing outside with the thousands in the street - special night 

I specifically remember the fish from the fountain outside HPER being carried over our heads... couldn’t see pavement for hundreds of yards, students in trees and hanging from lamp posts - yes, special 

I was a freshman that year. I may have climbed something that night. Then I was swept down to Showalter Fountain in a horde of people. Remember seeing the fish swimming down the street! That was the year I became hooked on IU basketball. 

10 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I wonder what Archie thinks of Knight? Unlike our previous coach, Archie does not talk about bringing in old players or coaches. 

He talks about it, he just doesn’t go on campaigns selling it. I’ve heard numerous thing from Archie and former players about how they text each other regularly, and I recall some connected posters talking about how former players are coming to practices and games more than ever now. 

But yes, to your point, Archie doesn’t use it as some sales campaign like a previous coach. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He talks about it, he just doesn’t go on campaigns selling it. I’ve heard numerous thing from Archie and former players about how they text each other regularly, and I recall some connected posters talking about how former players are coming to practices and games more than ever now. 

But yes, to your point, Archie doesn’t use it as some sales campaign like a previous coach. 

I might be completely off base here with my assessment.  I know CTC is a great salesman but I think part if him felt that if he could get Knight back to IU it would  unify the fan base and potentially be bigger than any on court accomplishments he could achieve. 

49 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I might be completely off base here with my assessment.  I know CTC is a great salesman but I think part if him felt that if he could get Knight back to IU it would  unify the fan base and potentially be bigger than any on court accomplishments he could achieve. 

We would never know what was in CTC's mind, but I gotta say the best way to unify the fanbase is to create a winning culture and stability, which is the most important thing. This is the only way to give 'IU pride' to fans, current and former players. If that most important thing falls apart, than other secondary and tertiary things won't matter much. My guess is no matter how hard CTC tried to bring back former players and win their hearts, he couldn't pass the 'eye test' of fans and former players; thus, he was not 'respected' as THE IU coach. He can fool Georgia fans where football is the king, but he couldn't fool Indiana fans where basketball is a religion. 

A few months ago, I came across a Kent Benson interview and I had to laugh at what Benson had to say about CTC. He didn't say CTC's name but you'll see. He was pretty excited about IU basketball and Archie Miller. Start from 4:00 minute mark to save your time. 

I thought Arch is pretty openly communicative with past players? Not Knight or Crean, sure, but Damon Bailey has been around quite a bit. Our more recent players like Vic, Cody, and OG have all come back too. I've always assumed Archie is open to speaking with and in the good graces of many past players.

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention AJ Moye this weekend. Cool video from last weekend vs Louisville

https://twitter.com/TheMopLady/status/1071591003658817537?s=20

Thanks for sharing. When CMD was at IU he helped AJ come to know Jesus and my close friend and former minister Tom Rust was the one 1 who baptized AJ. That story may not sit well with everyone but I don't care!! 

1 hour ago, Bushmage said:

I thought Arch is pretty openly communicative with past players? Not Knight or Crean, sure, but Damon Bailey has been around quite a bit. Our more recent players like Vic, Cody, and OG have all come back too. I've always assumed Archie is open to speaking with and in the good graces of many past players.

He is and has been from everything I've read and heard from Archie and the former players. I'm not really sure where Artesian got it from that Archie isn't in close touch with former players. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He is and has been from everything I've read and heard from Archie and the former players. I'm not really sure where Artesian got it from that Archie isn't in close touch with former players. 

I think the key word of artesians post was "talk". I'll leave it at that so I don't take a pot shot at a former coach.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

What I meant was......CTC really promoted former players and coaches coming back to help bring everyone together. Coach Miller is running this program in a refreshing way....With Miller, I feel everyone has bought in and fully supports the direction Archie has taken the team.

Archived