Butler Pregame Thread

Watched some of the Butler game the other day.  I think something like all but 4 of their first 25 points were three pointers.  This team is quite different than the Butlers of a few years ago.  They live and die with the three pointer.  I'm not saying to play a zone. Although that might work for awhile, it would probably screw up our cohesion on defense right now.  I am saying play a very tight man to man, without fouling, but do not let yourselves be losing your man to screens.  If we make Butler play inside some and hold them to 30-35% from the three while not letting them take over 20 or so, we should win this game.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shooter said:

I think we are better than Butler too, but wouldn't go that far. This game is tougher than any of our home games. Kenpom says Butler will be the 2nd best team we've played, Sagarin says 4th best.

I think we win close but I'm pretty nervous about this one. 

I think this is a situation where those stats are going to look far different at the end of the season than right now.

The only teams that Butler has played that aren't "cupcakes" are Dayton, Florida, St. Louis, and Ole Miss.  They are 2-2 in those games.

Their stats as far as Kenpom and Sagarin are concerned are what I would label as "misleading" due to the fact that it's still too early in the season for those to really be accurate.

IU has played Northwestern, @PSU, @Arkansas, @Duke, Louisville, and Marquette.  IU is 4-2 against tougher competition than Butler has faced all year.

I'm not saying we're going to blow them out, but don't be surprised if this one isn't all that close.  IU will be by far the best team Butler has faced the entire season.

I think this is another step toward this team's potential. The injured are healed and pretty much in shape, and hopefully we'll have good, spirited practices leading up to it.

I'm already confident in our defense. I think our offense still needs some work, but we are seeing good results in spurts. Stick with the offense, take good shots, and take care of the ball.

IU 77 Butler 68

5 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Just for the record...Archie got a technical last year by smacking the scorers table and note cards going all over the floor. 

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

He got one last year for throwing a towel....:coffee:

Wow...Archie is such a light weight! We’ve gone from throwing a chair and smashing phones on the scorers table to throwing towels and smacking note cards....man times have changed lol.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wow...Archie is such a light weight! We’ve gone from throwing a chair and smashing phones on the scorers table to throwing towels and smacking note cards....man times have changed lol.

Well, i think his tech was for a combination of the 2....he threw the towel at the scorers table which sent a bunch of papers flying onto the court for the insta-tech.  Haven't really seen the crazy eyes much sense; quite a shame.

14 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

I expect another close game. Hopefully we don't lose this game. These Indiana mid-major teams play tough and with a chip on their shoulders when they play us. This is a dangerous game and we basically got nothing to gain playing them. If we win, people will say it was expected. If we lose, we give those mid-majors bragging rights. 

Butler a mid-major?

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so i haven't seen Butler play, but if they live and die by the 3, that scares me a little with the pack line D.  i like our D thus far this season, but that scares me a little.

Let them shoot it....but we need to be prepared to rebound it if it is a miss.  Long shots produce long rebounds.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so i haven't seen Butler play, but if they live and die by the 3, that scares me a little with the pack line D.  i like our D thus far this season, but that scares me a little.

A valid concern...

Tenets of the pack line defense

Weaknesses of Pack Line Defense

1. Three Pointers Can Beat You – As your players are playing off their player and are in help position, it can lead to open three-pointers if your players don’t react quick enough and close out on the ball. If a team gets hot from three

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A valid concern...

Tenets of the pack line defense

Weaknesses of Pack Line Defense

1. Three Pointers Can Beat You – As your players are playing off their player and are in help position, it can lead to open three-pointers if your players don’t react quick enough and close out on the ball. If a team gets hot from three

IMO opinion the key is to stop the dribble penetration that puts guys out of position. In traditional pack line if you can take away the drives all help defenders should be in position to close out on shooters. We get in trouble when we have a break down and get guys scrambling to recover to shooters. We cannot allow offensive rebounds for kick outs to beat us

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

IMO opinion the key is to stop the dribble penetration that puts guys out of position. In traditional pack line if you can take away the drives all help defenders should be in position to close out on shooters. We get in trouble when we have a break down and get guys scrambling to recover to shooters. We cannot allow offensive rebounds for kick outs to beat us

Or live ball turnovers leading to open transition 3s. Those are death.

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

We're 29th in the country in 3-pt field goal percentage defense. 

Archived