Butler Pregame Thread

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess it's just that they always seem to be well coached.  They've lost countless coaches for 20 years yet they never seem to miss a beat.  If Lavall is not a very good coach this won't even be a game.  We're easily 12-15 points better on paper.

IMO this staff is not the typical Butler staff but many of those kids do look at playing INDIANA as a really big deal. They will be prepared but like you said we should be a lot better than them. 

I was only asking because I thought maybe you knew something about Lavall Jordan that I was not aware of.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

IMO this staff is not the typical Butler staff but many of those kids do look at playing INDIANA as a really big deal. They will be prepared but like you said we should be a lot better than them. 

I was only asking because I thought maybe you knew something about Lavall Jordan that I was not aware of.

Jordan did play at Butler(he was good) for Collier and Matta.  Assistant at Butler under Lickliter.  But here is the most important thing...he was an assistant for B at Michigan while they had Burke and Hardaway Jr.

Seems like Race is pretty far away from getting back to practicing. Man that is one bad concussion. He was a guy I thought could give us 5-8 minutes a game for us. There are times I think I would rather have him out there than Fitzner. Losing him and Hunter both really shortens the bench as far as talent goes. Wonder what the team would look like with them added into the fold.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

It doesn’t appear that they have any hope of stopping Romeo need him to go beast mode. They are good at forcing turnovers we should get Romeo the ball and let him go to work rather than trying to break down their D for the open guy. 

Archie doesn't coach that way, and I don't think Archie should coach that way. 

Romeo seems to have an innate sense of when he needs to make a play. Work within the offense, and when we need a play, I'm confident he'll make it.

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

What am I missing on Butler? Why is line so close? I see IU by 18.

I tend to agree with you.  Nothing steps out to me as a great win.... while their two losses are to what I consider to be two non discript teams..... Dayton who stands at 5-4... and St. Louis, though 7-2, hasn't really played anybody.

Yet, the game is of concern to me.... could be Butler's season if they win. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Archie doesn't coach that way, and I don't think Archie should coach that way. 

Romeo seems to have an innate sense of when he needs to make a play. Work within the offense, and when we need a play, I'm confident he'll make it.

And that’s the recipe for every game coming down to one possession at the end.  Just about any shot Romeo takes is going to be a much higher percentage shot than any shot by Durham, Green, Smith, etc.  The offense should be run through Juwan and Romeo at all times, with a little Phinisee sprinkled in.  I think the team’s been doing a better job of that in recent games.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And that’s the recipe for every game coming down to one possession at the end.  Just about any shot Romeo takes is going to be a much higher percentage shot than any shot by Durham, Green, Smith, etc.  The offense should be run through Juwan and Romeo at all times, with a little Phinisee sprinkled in.  I think the team’s been doing a better job of that in recent games.

Yet all 3 of our last 3 have come down to the final possession.

I'm not getting the point, I guess.

For me it seems like this team has been in the catch up mode with so many players out with injuries, I think with this week off and a predominately healthy team and a  staff unlike the last several, Butler better hope they don't look like fools!!

Edit: Hopefully the Hoosiers make the 'Butler Way' a thing of the past!! Go IU!!

So often it seems we (IU fans) think and sometimes post things like, "We will see what the team is made of" leading up to big games like this one.  However, with a week to prepare, I'm thinking this game against Butler will tell us much more about Archie than the team.  Obviously, Archie can't play the game for the team but he will undoubtedly put together the game plan and I believe it will be a darn good one.  A loss would not be devastating for IU's season but a convincing win would certainly go a long way toward building great confidence moving forward into the conference season for both the team and IU fans.  I believe!  Go HOOSIERS !!!

Archived