Jump to content

coaches vote to move big ten schedule to 20 games


Recommended Posts

As reported on insidethehall it looks like the coaches have voted to move the schedule to 20 Conference games. I love this idea. The article also mentioned this may cause teams to change their non conference schedule  to not have as many marquee games. In my opinion I would love to see Indiana schedule lots of marquee games and have a chance to start getting top 5 in SOS especially with my thinking we will become a force in the recruiting world and will be able to handle that great of a schedule. So two questions here! when is the last time Indiana finished in top 5,top 10, or even top 20 in SOS? how do you guys feel about the league probably switching to this format?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

As reported on insidethehall it looks like the coaches have voted to move the schedule to 20 Conference games. I love this idea. The article also mentioned this may cause teams to change their non conference schedule  to not have as many marquee games. In my opinion I would love to see Indiana schedule lots of marquee games and have a chance to start getting top 5 in SOS especially with my thinking we will become a force in the recruiting world and will be able to handle that great of a schedule. So two questions here! when is the last time Indiana finished in top 5,top 10, or even top 20 in SOS? how do you guys feel about the league probably switching to this format?

it is all right trying to get you SOS up but you have to find wins as well in the non conference. With 20 conference games you will have to schedule more wins and have to eliminate some marquee games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if I like this.  On one hand, it should balance out the conference schedule somewhat, which will make winning the regular season conference title more meaningful again.  And it will be great if it protects home-and-home rivalries like IU-Purdue.

But on the other hand, I feel like this will definitely lead to fewer marquee non-conference games.  You have to play the scheduling game the right way, with the right balance of solid cupcakes and good non-conference opponents.  With 20 conference games, the program would be dumb to eliminate cupcakes instead of good non-conference opponents.

How many other Power 5 conferences are going to 20 game conference schedules?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like people are overstating how much this will effect our non conference schedule. We're talking about two games. Wasn't everyone calling for Archie to develop a more challenging schedule moving forward? Why are people so concerned about playing fewer cupcakes? It's not like we're going to cut two marquee NCS games. I would rather play Rutgers or Nebraska or whoever else is occupying the basement of the B1G twice than play Kennesaw State or Youngstown State every year. Right now we only play 4 marquee non conference games anyways. Also imagine our SOS if we have to play all the teams in the top half of the B1G twice? We play 30 games a season and if Archie is worth his salary he'll put us in position to compete in the Big Dance regularly, regardless if we play 8 cupcakes or six. But I understand...change can be scary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Crimson324 said:

I feel like people are overstating how much this will effect our non conference schedule. We're talking about two games. Wasn't everyone calling for Archie to develop a more challenging schedule moving forward? Why are people so concerned about playing fewer cupcakes? It's not like we're going to cut two marquee NCS games. I would rather play Rutgers or Nebraska or whoever else is occupying the basement of the B1G twice than play Kennesaw State or Youngstown State every year. Right now we only play 4 marquee non conference games anyways. Also imagine our SOS if we have to play all the teams in the top half of the B1G twice? We play 30 games a season and if Archie is worth his salary he'll put us in position to compete in the Big Dance regularly, regardless if we play 8 cupcakes or six. But I understand...change can be scary.

If you play to hard of a non conference schedule and lose some then you might not get into the dance.  Even the bottom of the big ten can beat you at nay time so those aren't guarantee wins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If you play to hard of a non conference schedule and lose some then you might not get into the dance.  Even the bottom of the big ten can beat you at nay time so those aren't guarantee wins.

I understand that, but neither are “”Legit Cupcakes.” And my main point is still that it’s only two games. We still have 6 games to boost our record. We’re just lowering our handicap. I personally am just very excited that IU is going to play more games against competitive opponents. 

IMHO a longer conference gives the NCAA a better yardstick to measure a team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm torn on this one.  I like the idea in theory to get closer and closer to a fair scheduling mechanism.  But, I wonder about two drawbacks.  One, this is a grind.  This isn't your father's Big Ten when you had lots of veterans working the grind of an 18 game conference schedule.  Now, you are talking about a ton of scrawny younger kids playing minutes with so many kids going pro early now.  That's tough to expect resilience in a brutal schedule.  Two, you like the two additional tough games but it may compromise some flexibility relative to strong out of conference opponents.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crimson324 said:

I understand that, but neither are “”Legit Cupcakes.” And my main point is still that it’s only two games. We still have 6 games to boost our record. We’re just lowering our handicap. I personally am just very excited that IU is going to play more games against competitive opponents. 

IMHO a longer conference gives the NCAA a better yardstick to measure a team. 

Cupcakes in the #150-200 range, always played at home, are much more of a sure thing than games against most Big Ten opponents, sometimes played on the road.  When 20 wins is the pretty much the bare minimum to get into the tourney, those two extra home games against solid cupcakes can make a big difference.  I think when it comes to Selection Sunday, a weak schedule can hurt you, but a tough schedule won’t help you.  See MSU last year.

However, as long as all the power conferences go to 20 game schedules, the change likely won’t make much of a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Cupcakes in the #150-200 range, always played at home, are much more of a sure thing than games against most Big Ten opponents, sometimes played on the road.  When 20 wins is the pretty much the bare minimum to get into the tourney, those two extra home games against solid cupcakes can make a big difference.  I think when it comes to Selection Sunday, a weak schedule can hurt you, but a tough schedule won’t help you.  See MSU last year.

However, as long as all the power conferences go to 20 game schedules, the change likely won’t make much of a difference.

Yes I understand and agree with that, except I do believe a 20 game conference schedule will also effect how the NCAA judges teams on Selection Sunday. I think this is good for CBB long term. I obviously already think 8 is too many gimme games in the noncon. I’d be happy to see it go down to 5. And in response to MSU...it doesn’t always work out, but at least people are talking about MSU every year, even when they’re “bad.” MSU isn’t afraid to play anybody any time and they’re sports darlings as a result of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I would rather see a KU, Zona, UK or UCLA vs IU on that date.

Probably all cheaters.  I myself would rather return to the Notre Dame home-and-home than to the Kentucky one, but that might just be the difference between an Indianapolis person like me and a Southern Indiana person.  I always thought it was kind of demeaning to have Kentucky as a "rival", even as a secondary one after Purdue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Probably all cheaters.  I myself would rather return to the Notre Dame home-and-home than to the Kentucky one, but that might just be the difference between an Indianapolis person like me and a Southern Indiana person.  I always thought it was kind of demeaning to have Kentucky as a "rival", even as a secondary one after Purdue.

I always liked playing the Irish.  

As far as the expanding the schedule to 20 games...meh.  It will still be unbalanced.  We just got to get used to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...