Signing day

Leathernecks

This class would be ranked 31st overall if Tuttle was allowed to be in it. Which I think he should be since he hasn't played a college game yet.. but oh well. Numbers wise it isn't big as of now.. but with him we have 20 commits, one being a long snapper.... so we did get some high quality players. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I want to see if we can grab a JUCO OL or 2

I was curious. Tommy Kennedy just transferred from Butler to Miami for his grad transfer. Because of departures plenty of talk about him being instant impact there. Did we even look at him or why do I not know a thing about him. 

Here's the thing that struck me as odd. Best recruiting class ever for IU Football is the general consensus. Especially considering the top end talent upside. With that said...I've searching for rankings this morning and the same general consensus has us at 9th or 10th in Big 10 Class rankings after yesterday. 

I know plenty can and will change between now and next signing period but our best ever is 9th in conference?

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's the thing that struck me as odd. Best recruiting class ever for IU Football is the general consensus. Especially considering the top end talent upside. With that said...I've searching for rankings this morning and the same general consensus has us at 9th or 10th in Big 10 Class rankings after yesterday. 

I know plenty can and will change between now and next signing period but our best ever is 9th in conference?

Think of how Arkansas feels; top 20 class overall,  but last in your own division! Urban kicked B1G recruiting up another level. The SEC will always have a geographic advantage to southern talent and speed, but we have to realize we are in an arms race.

If we take care of non conference every year, we still have to find a way to win 3 conference games to be bowl eligible.  Without conference realignment, there's a good chance we're playing Purdue for our 6th or 7th win regularly. 

Glad coach Allen's Indiana high school relationships seem to be paying off. Along with his Tampa connections, we have a great foundation. Love for us to build even better relationships in Ohio.  Stoops at UK has built quite a base with his connections in the Buckeye state.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Most of the "evers" I've seen have only been since the early 2000s when the ranking service really got going, so it's really only from the last 15 years or so.  We haven't been very good in that stretch lol.

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I know there are guys we were on that didn't sign early,  like David Bell, Danielson Ike, and Kristian Williams (even though he verbally committed to Minnesota).

Has there been much noise out there on guys available we can fill those las slots with?  I wouldn't be shocked to see a spot or two held open for JUCO or 5yr transfer. 

2 hours ago, Andy06 said:

I know there are guys we were on that didn't sign early,  like David Bell, Danielson Ike, and Kristian Williams (even though he verbally committed to Minnesota).

Has there been much noise out there on guys available we can fill those las slots with?  I wouldn't be shocked to see a spot or two held open for JUCO or 5yr transfer. 

I would love to get Ike and to flip Williams, but I wonder if Williams is waiting for bigger schools to come calling and that's why he isn't signing until February.

Somewhere in that interview Allen talked about how they have their eye on some JUCO and 5th year guys, but wasn't going to take one just to take one.  Wanted the best available players.  Not sure if there's any we're in on, but maybe they'll come out of nowhere like Tuttle did.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the recruiting updates. The patience I've learned as an IU football fan is really being put to good use in basketball! 

Looking forward to seeing how the football class finishes up. What impact do you think our new OC will have with such a brief time on the job? More of defining scheme and system for the offensive recruits?  Gotta think he brings more excitement than DeBord.

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Thanks for the recruiting updates. The patience I've learned as an IU football fan is really being put to good use in basketball! 

Looking forward to seeing how the football class finishes up. What impact do you think our new OC will have with such a brief time on the job? More of defining scheme and system for the offensive recruits?  Gotta think he brings more excitement than DeBord.

I haven't been seeing many new offensive recruits pop up since we hired DeBoer, so I don't know if we'll see any difference in our last 5 recruits for this year, but next year is when it could really pay off.  If we turn from an average offense into a good offense, the sky is the limit.  I can't wait to see what DeBoer will do in recruiting.  He seems to align with the off field values that Allen finds important, so I think he'll fit in really well with the rest of our staff for recruiting.

In my twitter searches, I've noticed quite a few IU players and commits reaching out to guys we're recruiting.  I love seeing that.  I think Allen is really building a good atmosphere around the program.  Here's to hoping we get Williams, Sanguinetti, and a couple other good players to finish off the class.  Wednesday can't get here soon enough!

For anyone who's good at math, what would need to happen for you guys to have a better class than Purdue?  Or is it tough because of Purdue having Karlaftis and Bell at the top?

For the record, I like the top of our class better than yours but like the middle/bottom of yours better than ours if that makes sense.

Here are the times some of the guys we're after plan on announcing tomorrow.  All times eastern.  There are some other guys we're in on, but I couldn't find anything about them announcing tomorrow.  Might be waiting until the smoke clears tomorrow to see where to sign.  Just a guess, but I'm guessing we get Sanguinetti and miss out on the other ones listed.

If anybody knows of other guys we're interested in who are announcing tomorrow, let me know and I'll add them.

Josh Sanguinetti - 9:30

Cecil Powell - 9:30

TJ Jones - 10:00

Kristian Williams - 10:00 (listed as 9:00, but in Memphis area which is central time zone)

Kamaar Bell - 1:05

Dawand Jones - 6:30 pm

Ira Henry - time unknown

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For anyone who's good at math, what would need to happen for you guys to have a better class than Purdue?  Or is it tough because of Purdue having Karlaftis and Bell at the top?

For the record, I like the top of our class better than yours but like the middle/bottom of yours better than ours if that makes sense.

Just going by the 247 composite rankings, I don't think we'd be able to catch you guys as far as points go, but I think we could get pretty close when looking at average of each commit.

If we sign Sanguinetti, which signs are looking good, we'll move up to 201.94 points (class calculator) which would be good for 8th in the B1G, but still a ways behind Purdue.  If we add a commit from a guy ranked exactly as Tuttle was last year, we move up to 210.26 which would still be behind Purdue's 224.72.

If we look at average rank of each commit, Purdue is at 86.63 and Indiana is currently at 85.92.

• If we get Sanguinetti, we move up to 86.05 without Tuttle
    • Include Tuttle and it is 86.38
      • If we include those two and take of Wracher (who I love, but his 77.61 kills our average), we'd be at 86.80
  • Include Tuttle, don't include Sanguinetti, and don't include Wracher, we'd be at 86.7.

I know that's a lot to follow there lol.

I would agree with what you said.  I like the top of your class better, but I like the middle and bottom of our class better.  I see us adding a few more guys in the middle of our class, or maybe even upper middle, but I don't think we'll add any more at the top of our class, so I don't think we'll be catching up to you guys.

Archived