Signing day

Leathernecks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder why he went from a 5 star all the way down to a 3 star recruit

I have a cousin who's a huge Miami fan, they were on him hard when he was a 5-star. 

He said that the main reason he thinks Josh dropped so much in the rankings was poor performances at camps. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Also... Micah McFadden was an absolute stud last year and he was our "lowest rate recruit". This isn't an exact science. 

Exactly. Most of these rankings are based on height weight and athleticism which is great but it's not everything. Especially when athletes muscle mass and conditioning should change for the better when you get on a college campus. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm good with that. 3 spots available for transfers or grad transfers. 

I agree. It's better to leave the door open than handing out scholarships just because you have them. There's a lot of time between now and the season. You really never know what can happen. 

I think (hope) Weaver is a sleeper. Came out of nowhere late but he looks to me like he projects well when he gets stronger in  a couple of years.  

I really wanted Kristian Williams at DT because he could be a final piece to a stellar D.   On O, missing on wideout TJ Jones and a couple of other top flight offensive linemen was disappointing too, but I like the approach of going for guys who have upside rather than taking scraps who are essentially MAC players as we have historically done.  I don’t think we settled for anybody like we used to.  

Regardless, I think our D is on the rise.  And I’m very excited about DeBoer.  Next year, if we can recruit like this year, we will just get better and better. Need to capitalize on the momentum and keep it going. 

As a long time follower of IU football, I think Wilson put us on a good track but Allen really gets winning schemes and he knows what he wants (correctly) to build a competitive team.  And he’s closing pretty well.  

In years past, we had coaches who I felt had a losing mentality or didn’t have a clue how to build a roster and scheme it with foresight and clarity, let alone recruit to what he wanted.  So, from that standpoint, we are in a better place.

For those who look just at wins and losses, it’s all this background that gets you there.  Now, I’d agree he will need to prove it on the field.  

1 hour ago, KDB said:

I wonder if that means we aren't planning on taking anymore guys, or if he just meant it is closed for today.  There are still a few guys we're in on that aren't announcing today like Latrell Jean.

I do like that we appear to not be settling for reaches.  It seems like Allen is only taking guys he really wants and is holding onto the last few places in case a JUCO or grad transfer becomes available.

I also like the shout out to Wracher in this tweet.  He's one of the tops in the country at his position, but his ranking is low, so he doesn't get the recognition for it.  As far as long snappers go, he's definitely a 5 star talent, so I like that they put him as a 5 star in there.

39 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think (hope) Weaver is a sleeper. Came out of nowhere late but he looks to me like he projects well when he gets stronger in  a couple of years.  

I really wanted Kristian Williams at DT because he could be a final piece to a stellar D.   On O, missing on wideout TJ Jones and a couple of other top flight offensive linemen was disappointing too, but I like the approach of going for guys who have upside rather than taking scraps who are essentially MAC players as we have historically done.  I don’t think we settled for anybody like we used to.  

Regardless, I think our D is on the rise.  And I’m very excited about DeBoer.  Next year, if we can recruit like this year, we will just get better and better. Need to capitalize on the momentum and keep it going. 

As a long time follower of IU football, I think Wilson put us on a good track but Allen really gets winning schemes and he knows what he wants (correctly) to build a competitive team.  And he’s closing pretty well.  

In years past, we had coaches who I felt had a losing mentality or didn’t have a clue how to build a roster and scheme it with foresight and clarity, let alone recruit to what he wanted.  So, from that standpoint, we are in a better place.

For those who look just at wins and losses, it’s all this background that gets you there.  Now, I’d agree he will need to prove it on the field.  

I like that Weaver at least has ideal size for a tackle.  If we're going to take a guy ranked a little lower (he still would have been ahead of 12 commits in the 2013 class!!!), I like that he has the things you can't teach.  I think he could turn into a solid player down the road.

I wanted Williams too.  He somewhat reminds me of Juan Harris.  It seemed like he never really wanted to go to Minnesota.  He verballed to them, and the next week chose not to sign.  Then I heard he might be holding out for bigger offers.  Hopefully he doesn't bounce all over the place and can stick somewhere.

I remember last offseason and during this season a lot of people were saying recruiting was going to tank if we didn't go to a bowl.  I can only imagine where things will go if we're able to go to a bowl this coming year.  Things could really take off.

I feel like Wilson knew how to build a winning offense, but not really a winning team.  We won because our offense was so good, but if he would have emphasized defense and special teams, we easily could have won 7 or 8 games.  I like how Allen seems to understand that all aspects are important.  I think Wilson got tired of recruiting too as evidenced by our lack of depth and lack of upperclass talent this year.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is this class better than the 2013 one?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yes... and significantly deeper. 

This class is basically better across the board than the 2013 class.  I made this a couple weeks ago, so the rankings for this year might not be exactly the same, but close enough.

image.thumb.png.b40506d300a05a7a7df80d674360b00d.png

Archived