IU Contacted B1G Over Controversial Calls

The picture in the article is actually his 3rd step which is after he already stepped out of bounds.

The thing that annoyed me the most about it is that the guy with the best look initially called it our ball.  Then another dude comes running in and waves him out of bounds.  They get together and rule him out.  If they rule him in bounds, it would have been more difficult to overturn.  They still probably would have knowing how much they love us, but you never know.

I said it in the chat too, but Michigan should have been called for even more penalties.  They played the Wisconsin basketball style of holding and pushing and shoving on every play.  The refs are only going to call so much.

If IU is going to beat one of the better teams in its division, its going to have to be somewhat decisive.  Teams like OSU, PSU, and UM are going to get the benefit of the doubt on those close calls.  It may not be out and out collusion to call the games in their favor, but I think those teams that have a chance to get to the playoff get "protected" by the officiating somewhat in close games with "lesser" teams.  It's not just IU; it's every other team in the Big Ten that is middle of the pack or bottom of the pack that suffers.

The Cobbs kickoff recovery was seemingly obvious that he had possession while in bounds, and it should have been called that way initially. I just went back and watched it again.  It really wasn't even that close; he clearly had possession.  Why did the other out of position ref even feel the need to come in and correct the better positioned ref?  This bothers me every time I see it in any sport.  You're out of position; how on Earth do you believe you can come in and overrule someone who saw it better?  But I digress...

Fant's interception/pass interference was egregiously terrible officiating.

Honestly, outside of a few calls, the refs weren't bad, but it just so happens that the few that they called against IU (especially the on-side kick) were game-changers.

Call me cynical, call me a conspiracy theorist, and call me crazy, but the fact that the other ref comes in and overrules the call, then the replay shows clear possession with a foot down, and the refs still give it to Michigan is strong evidence in favor of the "playoff capable" teams getting protected to a certain degree.  IU had Michigan truly on its heels for the first time in the game, had just driven for a touchdown, and recovered the on-side kick.  If IU rightfully is given possession there, we would have won.  I'm sure people will come in and say there's no way, there's no proof, the refs wouldn't do that, but then again, most people didn't think college recruiting was as corrupt as it actually is.  There's a lot of money involved for the big ten by getting teams into the college playoff and major bowls.....

Don't get me wrong, IU could have and should have won this game despite those calls, but we just have to expect that the refs are going to be friendlier to a highly ranked team in crunch time.

8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Apparently Allen never learned that you don’t put the game in the hands of the refs. If you are relying on the refs to win a game, something is wrong in the machinery. And you never allow your issues with the refs to become public and appear to be whining. He just called out guys who are likely friends with guys who will be calling games in the future. Very low return on effort. 

8 hours ago, Payday said:

Apparently Allen never learned that you don’t put the game in the hands of the refs. If you are relying on the refs to win a game, something is wrong in the machinery. And you never allow your issues with the refs to become public and appear to be whining. He just called out guys who are likely friends with guys who will be calling games in the future. Very low return on effort. 

I know you are new to IU football in the last year or so. Being a fan of IU sports for over 40 years I have witness a lot of questionable calls against UM and other top teams.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know you are new to IU football in the last year or so. Being a fan of IU sports for over 40 years I have witness a lot of questionable calls against UM and other top teams.

Good grief. Actually we have relatives in Indiana going back to the late 1700’s and we are very familiar with Indiana football. But I have also played on a top five team and been around guys who have had major impact on the game. Once the game is over the score can not be changed so whining about the calls can only make you look like a crybaby and cause your team to get worse calls later. There is just no benefit and coaches do this when they want to deflect blame. Look, nobody knows what might have happened if the calls had gone differently, but what we do know is that Michigan had a school record 160+ penalty yards. If we get three more calls maybe we fumble more or maybe we run the qb keeper more for a yard gain, or maybe instead of two picks there are three or four picks due to the extra snaps, who knows. But you don’t put it in the hands of the officials and you don’t call them out. Not if you want to be a champion. 

Archived