Butler Postgame Thread

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

The mile hi game ball goes to........ Juwan Morgan. Duh !

Aside from that Rob P has got me rethinking who actually is our top frosh this season. 

Mile I love your passion and knowledge of all that is IU, but RP was the stud today!!

Morgan did not play a complete game!! He got beat several times on defense today, he also had way to many TO's, (4, I think) and his rebound #'s were horrible, (3?, he should never have less than 6!) He was stroking on the offensive side of the court, I'll give him that, he was on another level! But his overall game was not good at all!

Rob P played the toughest D that any Hoosier played tonight! His turnover to assist rate was solid again, he rebounded like he was 6'9", and he had the basketball IQ to realize on our '"last play", that Butler had it well guarded!

Game ball to Robert Phinisee

This team has just been finding ways to win games. 

15 turnovers, but I believe only 3 in the final 12 minutes or so. 

As others have pointed out, Juwan didn't miss a 2 point attempt or a FT.

Langford needs to get more involved early in these games. His passiveness can be attributed to the slow starts of late, IMO. 

24 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

My takes:

Juwan! Leading like a senior.

Romeo woke up a little in the second half, but it seemed like he was disinterested today. Five TO is unacceptable. 

Rob struggled a little today on D, but came up big. Kid is mentally tough. Offensive line was impressive again. 5 RB, 5 A and 1 TO. 

Smith, not his worst, hit a big 3 and had the dunk to put us up two. Solid on D most of the time, but he kills us more than he helps us IMO. Reckless on O. Wish CAM would put him on the baseline as an outlet and tell him not to move.

Al, cold today with his shot, but always plays hard and gives us energy.

Green, just bad all around.

McRoberts needs to start making the occasional shot on O bc it seems his D is a step slow this year. Occasional hussle play, but doesn’t help much.

Too many turnovers. Butler had 13 more shots as a direct result. 

Actually shot it decent from 3 today. Cut down the Turnovers and shoot 40% from 3 with our D and we’re a tough out.

Played poorly for long periods, but the D helped us find a way again. For those complaining about CAM, be glad he’s brought his D attitude to IU bc we don’t win with CTC today. With a shooter and another athlete, I like our chances in years to come.

Green had 5 assists and only one turnover. Bad all around?

After watching the final play several times im left wondering what in the hell is Green thinking..he just kinda stands there dribbling, then he picks up his dribble with out a clue of the time on the clock..thank god Phin had the presence of mind to run to the ball..watching CAM he just stands there like ..well were going to ot,hes just going to run the clock out...but its a win.

10 minutes ago, Sapperin LA said:

Mile I love your passion and knowledge of all that is IU, but RP was the stud today!!

Morgan did not play a complete game!! He got beat several times on defense today, he also had way to many TO's, (4, I think) and his rebound #'s were horrible, (3?, he should never have less than 6!) He was stroking on the offensive side of the court, I'll give him that, he was on another level! But his overall game was not good at all!

Rob P played the toughest D that any Hoosier played tonight! His turnover to assist rate was solid again, he rebounded like he was 6'9", and he had the basketball IQ to realize on our '"last play", that Butler had it well guarded!

Game ball to Robert Phinisee

Morgan had 35 points on 12/14 shooting...

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Green had 5 assists and only one turnover. Bad all around?

He got beat multiple times on D and had a couple other passes nearly stolen, was lucky to get it back. Just makes a lot of dumb decisions. Surprised to see he had five assists. Maybe he doesn’t deserve the “just bad” description. Just disappointed in that guy. Don’t think he’s improved a lick since last year. 

Phinisee is still developing but he has a Mike Conley feel to me.   And he’s made a ton of money in the league.  

I was very high on Phinisee throughout his recruitment and not once lamented not getting Winston Garland’s kid.  I’m happy with the multiple years we are getting from Phinny.  

Morgan’s 3-4 baseline threes were exceptional. They kept us in range.  

Let’s be honest.  Romeo can’t shoot a lick.  Neither can Giannis and he’s an MVP candidate.  It’s not the end of the world.  

38 minutes ago, Chase6 said:

This team has just been finding ways to win games. 

15 turnovers, but I believe only 3 in the final 12 minutes or so. 

As others have pointed out, Juwan didn't miss a 2 point attempt or a FT.

Langford needs to get more involved early in these games. His passiveness can be attributed to the slow starts of late, IMO. 

I agree with your last point big time. Archie needs to run our first few possessions through JM and RL. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Are you serious "Clark"?

What is Clark? What does that mean? Lol. I've got extremely thick skin and really just curious of the statement!

Just watch the film to see JM get beat several times, he was not even average on D, let alone his poor effort rebounding! He was all about scoring today, but any NBA team looking at his defense will be disappointed!

We are winning close games, something that we seemed unable to do consistently under Crean.  These games will help us this year and beyond.  If CAM is the answer long term, which I think he is, than we are on schedule.  There were many comments on the game thread about us being soft, but I would say that we are developing mental toughness and a winner's mentality.  My hope is that the program continues to build on this and that we beat these type of teams comfortably in future years.  For now we must work through this phase of program development.  It really is nice to perform well going into halftime and at the end of games.  Faster starts would be nice once and a while too.

52 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Kenpom makes no sense this season.  How is 9-2 IU ranked behind 6-5 Purdue? I don’t see how we’re not in the top 15 at least with a 5-2 record against the Kenpom top 50.

That really is a glaring failure. We’re 11games in, by this team his formula should be reflective of this season and not last. I see no excuse for the ridiculous over-ranking of PU. Has to be SOS based.

2 minutes ago, Sapperin LA said:

What is Clark? What does that mean? Lol. I've got extremely thick skin and really just curious of the statement!

Just watch the film to see JM get beat several times, he was not even average on D, let alone his poor effort rebounding! He was all about scoring today, but any NBA team looking at his defense will be disappointed!

I take it you have never seen any of the "Vacation" movies?  Clark Griswald.

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Phinisee is still developing but he has a Mike Conley feel to me.   And he’s made a ton of money in the league.  

I was very high on Phinisee throughout his recruitment and not once lamented not getting Winston Garland’s kid.  I’m happy with the multiple years we are getting from Phinny.  

Morgan’s 3-4 baseline threes were exceptional. They kept us in range.  

Let’s be honest.  Romeo can’t shoot a lick.  Neither can Giannis and he’s an MVP candidate.  It’s not the end of the world.  

I think Romeo’s shot will improve significantly. He has good form, he works on his game and he’s a frosh not even half way into the season. His outside shooting will come, he can shoot and well from 2, and he has studied DeRozan and Wade - that’s a part of his game - time to study some Curry, Reggie et al 

6 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

We are winning close games, something that we seemed unable to do consistently under Crean.  These games will help us this year and beyond.  If CAM is the answer long term, which I think he is, than we are on schedule.  There were many comments on the game thread about us being soft, but I would say that we are developing mental toughness and a winner's mentality.  My hope is that the program continues to build on this and that we beat these type of teams comfortably in future years.  For now we must work through this phase of program development.  It really is nice to perform well going into halftime and at the end of games.  Faster starts would be nice once and a while too.

There is zero reason to call this team soft. I’m glad I missed those comments, couldn’t be more off base 

33 minutes ago, Sapperin LA said:

He was stroking it on O! But several 3s from Butler were a result of his poor D

Completely agree that his D is a liability for the team. There was proof enough of that after Arkansas and Northwestern. 

Still, he’s clearly player of the game as his offensive dominance heavily outweighed his limitations on D. 

Archived