Butler Postgame Thread

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If he keeps it up, I think he’s going to end up at #2 for me.  I know everyone has different criteria and it’s all subjective, but to me, Vic is #1, and Juwan is well on his way to overtaking Yogi for #2.  IMO he’s already ahead of Zeller when you take into account their entire careers at IU.  And to be honest, I can’t really remember any of those other three ever taking over a big game like Juwan did tonight.

Yogi definitely did his senior year. I actually think Yogi is the one Juwan can't catch for his career. I could make a strong case he has already had a better IU career than Cody and Vic. 

3 hours ago, Sapperin LA said:

Morgan did not play a complete game!! He got beat several times on defense today, he also had way to many TO's, (4, I think) and his rebound #'s were horrible, (3?, he should never have less than 6!) He was stroking on the offensive side of the court, I'll give him that, he was on another level! But his overall game was not good at all!

What the hell are you smoking?

Part of the reason he was low on rebounds is that he pretty much didn't miss.  His overall game was excellent despite a few flaws.  The dude scored 35 points and was perfect from the line. 

Nomination for the goofiest post of the week.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Phinisee is still developing but he has a Mike Conley feel to me.   And he’s made a ton of money in the league.  

I was very high on Phinisee throughout his recruitment and not once lamented not getting Winston Garland’s kid.  I’m happy with the multiple years we are getting from Phinny.

Considering that Garland got injured early and is expected to go pro, IU absolutely got a more valuable player for the program in Phinisee and it's not even close.  I'm sure even Vanderbilt fans would agree at this point.  They'll get virtually nothing from Garland.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That really is a glaring failure. We’re 11games in, by this team his formula should be reflective of this season and not last. I see no excuse for the ridiculous over-ranking of PU. Has to be SOS based.

I can't even see it being SOS-based.  There's no eye test where this year's Purdue is better than IU.

I don’t understand Archie’s post game comments about his frustration with the team not moving on offense at the beginning of games?  He is the coach...either draw up plays that require movement or bench some guys. I would think the tempo is dictated by his play calling.  If fir one think this team would play better at a little quicker tempo

5 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I don’t understand Archie’s post game comments about his frustration with the team not moving on offense at the beginning of games?  He is the coach...either draw up plays that require movement or bench some guys. I would think the tempo is dictated by his play calling.  If for one think this team would play better at a little quicker tempo.

"We've got to play faster!" - Tom Crean

No offense intended...your post just brought up a funny memory.

3 hours ago, Sapperin LA said:

Mile I love your passion and knowledge of all that is IU, but RP was the stud today!!

Morgan did not play a complete game!! He got beat several times on defense today, he also had way to many TO's, (4, I think) and his rebound #'s were horrible, (3?, he should never have less than 6!) He was stroking on the offensive side of the court, I'll give him that, he was on another level! But his overall game was not good at all!

Rob P played the toughest D that any Hoosier played tonight! His turnover to assist rate was solid again, he rebounded like he was 6'9", and he had the basketball IQ to realize on our '"last play", that Butler had it well guarded!

Game ball to Robert Phinisee

Pass some of what you're having my way, please. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think Romeo’s shot will improve significantly. He has good form, he works on his game and he’s a frosh not even half way into the season. His outside shooting will come, he can shoot and well from 2, and he has studied DeRozan and Wade - that’s a part of his game - time to study some Curry, Reggie et al 

I agree that in time he has the ability to shoot when you look at his upside. 

So far, though, whether it’s the free throw line or with any kind of range, it’s an adventure.  He will hit some, because if you throw it up enough, some will go in.  He’s obviously extremely talented, very willing, can get to the rack at will, and a great kid.  But if he were a high level shooter, this team would be on another level.  

I would be very impressed if we ran some offense with Romeo on top or otherwise on the drive and you run Phinny or Green off the wing for some threes.  Both of those guys square up nicely.   It might be an out of the ordinary alignment but so is an inverted offense where a guard goes down and posts up while a big comes out and stretches, which is accepted.  

If we pull this alignment out during B1G games, I think it would be a plus.  

Green sometimes turns down a good look from three and then we get a lesser look later in the possession.  There was that one play with his erratic runner but there are some others.  With the film work, hopefully he will see that.   

If we can get rid of some of the bad shot selection (while taking advantage of good looks that we stop turning down) and the all-too-many lackadaisical passes, we can play a lot better.  

There is a lot of meat left on the bone potentially with this offense. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The problems I see with some IU fans and mainly the ones on other boards is that they expect a perfect game.  When you grew up with RMK as coach like a lot of us did he always strived for the perfect game but there is not such thing.  They also see themselves as coaches and not fans but that is what we are so we don't have to look at things with a microscope  I thought he played a very good game and without him we would have lost by 25 so I can excuse a few defensive lapses..

My favorite local broadcasts were when Kitchel did color with Laskowski.  I guess it’s been 20 years now.  Kitch would point out if someone missed a cut or wasn’t sharp enough while we were up 20.  I could see if someone thought it was negative or being a nag.  

I didn’t see it that way at all.  I thought it was insightful and astute commentary on how basketball ought to be played.  It doesn’t mean you don’t like the team or are down on the players.  Not at all.  It’s being an informed fan and learning insights.  

47 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I don’t understand Archie’s post game comments about his frustration with the team not moving on offense at the beginning of games?  He is the coach...either draw up plays that require movement or bench some guys. I would think the tempo is dictated by his play calling.  If fir one think this team would play better at a little quicker tempo

You don’t call “plays” every time down the court or even the majority of the time.  You run an offensive system and get shots from the system.  He’s just saying that they’re not moving properly or frequently enough within the system.

Nominations for dumbest quote from the game thread:

"Should have waited for Donovan or just hired a Butler coach. Any Butler coach. They all seem to be better than ours."

"That’s where Fred “the fireworks show”’ Glass screwed the pooch. Could have had Holtmann. Archie’s tenure will be just like Crean’s. New shiny toy, few good recruiting classes, and then a coaching search. Seen this story waaaay too many times."

"It's his job to get them excited.  I love Archie but he's getting absolutely worked by Lavall.  We should be up by 10.  Unless we have a massive second half turn around this will make like 5 bad games in a row."

"I will personally pay for Smith’s tuition if he transfers. I’ll also chip in moving expenses, and buy mom a house."

"Morgan needs this. No RP last second shot please" (Sorry Snozz...I literally laughed out loud reading that one after the game.)

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yogi definitely did his senior year. I actually think Yogi is the one Juwan can't catch for his career. I could make a strong case he has already had a better IU career than Cody and Vic. 

Which of Yogi’s games in his senior year would you put on par with the game Juwan just had?  He only cracked 30 in a big home win over IPFW and a road loss to Wisconsin that year.

56 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

"Should have waited for Donovan or just hired a Butler coach. Any Butler coach. They all seem to be better than ours."

"That’s where Fred “the fireworks show”’ Glass screwed the pooch. Could have had Holtmann. Archie’s tenure will be just like Crean’s. New shiny toy, few good recruiting classes, and then a coaching search. Seen this story waaaay too many times."

"It's his job to get them excited.  I love Archie but he's getting absolutely worked by Lavall.  We should be up by 10.  Unless we have a massive second half turn around this will make like 5 bad games in a row."

"I will personally pay for Smith’s tuition if he transfers. I’ll also chip in moving expenses, and buy mom a house."

"Morgan needs this. No RP last second shot please" (Sorry Snozz...I literally laughed out loud reading that one after the game.)

I was thinking of posting something very similar.  I laughed pretty hard throughout much of the game thread.

4 wins by 8 total points.  Battle tested on the road, neutral site, and at home with a very tournament type feel to each game.  All of which contained second half adjustments that helped vault us into contention leading to the 'w'.

Injuries, officiating, and more have been early season hurdles.  Yet, we are 9-2, ranked and climbing.  I am enjoying the ride.

17 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I was thinking of posting something very similar.  I laughed pretty hard throughout much of the game thread.

4 wins by 8 total points.  Battle tested on the road, neutral site, and at home with a very tournament type feel to each game.  All of which contained second half adjustments that helped vault us into contention leading to the 'w'.

Injuries, officiating, and more have been early season hurdles.  Yet, we are 9-2, ranked and climbing.  I am enjoying the ride.

Take 'em anyway you get them is my motto.  Hell, I am so excited about the game that I am still awake.......or is that called partying?

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I love all Hoosier fans but it does get pretty scary during a game. Some of the stuff I run across on twitter is scary. There's a facebook group called Hoosier Nation something....that place is even scarier the lack of basketball knowledge running around. 

2 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

All day long. To get this many types of games, settings this early in the season is phenomenal. Guys on the call yesterday even said noticeable difference between JV and Varsity game. Said our game had an awesome feel, tourney like.

10 hours ago, Sapperin LA said:

Lol, I'm shocked that you of all people didn't see the whole game game JM played! Normally you see the both sides of the court!

I've admitted JM had a fabulous game on offense! 

But his defense tonight proved why his NBA stock is questionable! 

What an absolute joke, without him we don't win this game. He proved once again today why he is our best player, the dude had 35 points on 12-14 shooting. Stop it, You're embarrassing yourself.

I know the NBA game is different. I also like to think I know what a basketball player looks like. Juwan Morgan is playing himself into solid draft material....or should be. I think Mack said he's Draymond Green. All I know is he showed his range yesterday. Showed soft touch with moves around rim. He also should be commended for doing all of this with one of the youngest teams in Big 10.

Archived