Butler Postgame Thread

8 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

RMK knew X’s and O’s and his banners reflect that. As this clip illustrates RMK nipped mediocre effort in the bud because he knew what it took to build and sustain a relevant program. Meanwhile we’re justifying our current effort levels and below-average play calls because we think barely squeaking past (or losing to) mid-majors in the final seconds is great.

Please tell us all your coaching back ground, just so we know.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Nominations for dumbest quote from the game thread:

"Should have waited for Donovan or just hired a Butler coach. Any Butler coach. They all seem to be better than ours."

"That’s where Fred “the fireworks show”’ Glass screwed the pooch. Could have had Holtmann. Archie’s tenure will be just like Crean’s. New shiny toy, few good recruiting classes, and then a coaching search. Seen this story waaaay too many times."

"It's his job to get them excited.  I love Archie but he's getting absolutely worked by Lavall.  We should be up by 10.  Unless we have a massive second half turn around this will make like 5 bad games in a row."

"I will personally pay for Smith’s tuition if he transfers. I’ll also chip in moving expenses, and buy mom a house."

"Morgan needs this. No RP last second shot please" (Sorry Snozz...I literally laughed out loud reading that one after the game.)

The Celtics should have fired their coach and hired any Butler coach... Oh wait..

From 2015, after the Celtics had lost 7 of their last 9 games.

"I've got to figure out how to coach this team better," answered a deflated Stevens. "I'm not doing a very good job. We're not playing well, and we're playing almost -- it's not good basketball. We've got to do a better job playing good basketball. I'll figure out the rotations later, once we start playing good basketball and once we are all focused on very good basketball. And that's on me. I've got to do a better job."

26 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

RMK knew X’s and O’s and his banners reflect that. As this clip illustrates RMK nipped mediocre effort in the bud because he knew what it took to build and sustain a relevant program. Meanwhile we’re justifying our current effort levels and below-average play calls because we think barely squeaking past (or losing to) mid-majors in the final seconds is great.

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Please tell us all your coaching back ground, just so we know.

Like @Indykev said, please enlighten us, and please don’t skimp in the details.  I want to know who and where the players are supposed to be, what action(s) the players are supposed to execute, and if all of that fails, I want to hear plans B and C.

I think some folks have PTSD from Crean. So as soon as they see some negative attribute they saw under Crean then the hair on their neck starts to rise. 

For those uneasy about Archie give him a bit more time. Hell we gave CTC 9 we can give Archie a few. Its still pretty young in the season with folks meshing together we added a lot of new faces and I am thinking Archie's system is predicated on older players being in the program 3/4 yrs ( obviously that will need to adjust a bit based on the influx of talent he is getting, but that's brand new to him)

17 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

@Indykev and @StLHoosier how childish. Check your inboxes. 

There’s no need to hide behind a PM for this subject.  I’ll respond to you out here.  This was your response:

AAU ball throughout my youth, 4-year starter and 2-year team captain, gave it all up to run D-1 track at the Air Force Academy and become a Mountain West conference champion. I know what winning programs look like. Since graduating in 2011 I’ve led over 10,000 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines as a military officer and recently served as the youngest-ever Executive Officer to the 2d Bomb Wing with over 5,800 Airmen and as the Administrative Officer-in-Charge of the Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa in Djibouti. I see what tolerating mediocrity does to teams and organizations and that’s why I criticize so heavily when I see mediocrity. If you want to get personal, we can go there, man. We can go there with personal attacks on life experience. But first I’d ask that you put up your coaching and leadership expertise. 

None of the above states anything about how you would coach or run a set.  That’s what we’re asking from you, and it’s not childish to ask someone to explain themselves.  It’s called trying to learn another persons viewpoint, but I see that you get angry when people question you.  It’s not personal, so quit taking it so personally.

6 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

There’s no need to hide behind a PM for this subject.  I’ll respond to you out here.  This was your response:

AAU ball throughout my youth, 4-year starter and 2-year team captain, gave it all up to run D-1 track at the Air Force Academy and become a Mountain West conference champion. I know what winning programs look like. Since graduating in 2011 I’ve led over 10,000 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines as a military officer and recently served as the youngest-ever Executive Officer to the 2d Bomb Wing with over 5,800 Airmen and as the Administrative Officer-in-Charge of the Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa in Djibouti. I see what tolerating mediocrity does to teams and organizations and that’s why I criticize so heavily when I see mediocrity. If you want to get personal, we can go there, man. We can go there with personal attacks on life experience. But first I’d ask that you put up your coaching and leadership expertise. 

None of the above states anything about how you would coach or run a set.  That’s what we’re asking from you, and it’s not childish to ask someone to explain themselves.  It’s called trying to learn another persons viewpoint, but I see that you get angry when people question you.  It’s not personal, so quit taking it so personally.

Pretty weak on your part to post a PM. You asked for his expertise, and instead of having a pissing match in this thread, he took it where it belonged...a PM. You weren't man enough to handle it via PM because you got owned when he gave you the credentials asked for. Grow up.

55 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

@Indykev and @StLHoosier how childish. Check your inboxes. 

This my fault for bad wording asking your coaching back ground. I wasn't trying to start a pissing match between members. When someone criticizes so heavily they have coached somewhere, i was just wondering. Again didnt mean anything by it.

34 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Pretty weak on your part to post a PM. You asked for his expertise, and instead of having a pissing match in this thread, he took it where it belonged...a PM. You weren't man enough to handle it via PM because you got owned when he gave you the credentials asked for. Grow up.

How did he get “owned” if the guy never coached? Weird. 

I do not think Archie is above reproach. He honestly looked overwhelmed during the first half of the Duke game. I don’t think he anticipated what it would be like to coach an IU team on the big stage, AND to coach an IU team with ( unrealistic??) expectations. You can see he is learning. You can see, like his team, he is growing. 

Same for Romeo. As a New Albany homer, it’s hard to sift through Twitter during a game and see all the lame comments. He is learning on the college level, and it’s STILL December. He isn’t above criticism, though, ( as I get uncomfortable when he “camps” in the corners, it kinda shows the defense the play is probably going to Juwan)

BUT, some of the fatalistic, over the top criticism on Twitter and elsewhere is indulgent and self destructive. If yesterday showed us anything, it should have shown those who were watching how important it has been to recruit the State. ( Brunk, McDermott) How “all that glitters isn’t gold”, Crean’s babbling pressers and UGA’s blown 18 point lead. I thought we wanted gritty teams that played defense and won close games? I thought we wanted a coach who was young, no nonsense, tough minded, and the closest thing to a young RMK we may ever get? ( minus the tantrums, even, and much more family friendly)

Save for a missed one foot tip in at Arkansas, this team would be 10-1, with a loss at Cameron being the only blemish!! 

So, chill out. Some of these guys need to watch “Colors”, and hear Robert Duvall tell Sean Penn the “parable of the old and young bulls.” 

Its ok to be critical of the team/ coach/ players, but this is a long season, and my gut tells me it will be a special one. This team has heart. They have potential. Slow down, and enjoy it. Don’t scare away the keion’s out there, and go IU!!!

27 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I do not think Archie is above reproach. He honestly looked overwhelmed during the first half of the Duke game. I don’t think he anticipated what it would be like to coach an IU team on the big stage, AND to coach an IU team with ( unrealistic??) expectations. You can see he is learning. You can see, like his team, he is growing. 

Same for Romeo. As a New Albany homer, it’s hard to sift through Twitter during a game and see all the lame comments. He is learning on the college level, and it’s STILL December. He isn’t above criticism, though, ( as I get uncomfortable when he “camps” in the corners, it kinda shows the defense the play is probably going to Juwan)

BUT, some of the fatalistic, over the top criticism on Twitter and elsewhere is indulgent and self destructive. If yesterday showed us anything, it should have shown those who were watching how important it has been to recruit the State. ( Brunk, McDermott) How “all that glitters isn’t gold”, Crean’s babbling pressers and UGA’s blown 18 point lead. I thought we wanted gritty teams that played defense and won close games? I thought we wanted a coach who was young, no nonsense, tough minded, and the closest thing to a young RMK we may ever get? ( minus the tantrums, even, and much more family friendly)

Save for a missed one foot tip in at Arkansas, this team would be 10-1, with a loss at Cameron being the only blemish!! 

So, chill out. Some of these guys need to watch “Colors”, and hear Robert Duvall tell Sean Penn the “parable of the old and young bulls.” 

Its ok to be critical of the team/ coach/ players, but this is a long season, and my gut tells me it will be a special one. This team has heart. They have potential. Slow down, and enjoy it. Don’t scare away the keion’s out there, and go IU!!!

Agree with this. I can't imagine what the environment would be if the ball had bounced the other way in four straight games and this team was 5-6 and 0-2 in the conference.

I'm very pleased with the development of the program. I believe it's being built for the long term

54 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

How did he get “owned” if the guy never coached? Weird. 

It’s funny that people think you have to be a coach in order to have knowledge about the sport. I played professional baseball, I’m not a coach...I chose a different career. Does that mean every coach’s knowledge is above me? I beg to differ. I don’t think that anyone is acting like they know more than CAM anyway  

I am not choosing sides. Hell, I haven’t even read any posts about this argument. But I did see one person take something personal to the personal message system...where it belongs. Then, I saw that message get posted publicly. And that is weak and disrespectful. Maybe he’s never coached basketball,  but he has the resume of a higher level athlete and definitely a high level leader. “Show me your X’s and O’s” is such a soft response. That said, it’s much easier to coach from the couch with a pause and rewind button than it is from the bench. 

4 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

It’s funny that people think you have to be a coach in order to have knowledge about the sport. I played professional baseball, I’m not a coach...I chose a different career. Does that mean every coach’s knowledge is above me? I beg to differ. I don’t think that anyone is acting like they know more than CAM anyway  

I am not choosing sides. Hell, I haven’t even read any posts about this argument. But I did see one person take something personal to the personal message system...where it belongs. Then, I saw that message get posted publicly. And that is weak and disrespectful. Maybe he’s never coached basketball,  but he has the resume of a higher level athlete and definitely a high level leader. “Show me your X’s and O’s” is such a soft response. 

Complaining about Xs and Os to begin with is lame. 

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I love all Hoosier fans but it does get pretty scary during a game. Some of the stuff I run across on twitter is scary. There's a facebook group called Hoosier Nation something....that place is even scarier the lack of basketball knowledge running around. 

I have pretty much stopped even looking at the game threads because of the constant negativity. I had also been a member of the Facebook page you mentioned and had to put that on ignore for the same reason 

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have pretty much stopped even looking at the game threads because of the constant negativity. I had also been a member of the Facebook page you mentioned and had to put that on ignore for the same reason 

Yeah game threads are honestly awful. Not just here. 

3 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Those comments aren’t mine but I want to defend people’s ability to criticize underperformance by IU without getting bullied by people who think they get to call others’ comments “dumbest.” The idea that Archie’s in-game coaching is above criticism because we keep barely beating average programs is wrong.

Even that final play, as exciting as it was, was evidence of below-average coaching. Bob Knight probably saw that and lol’d. Archie drew up a play for Romeo with no plan B (?).  Butler’s coach obviously told his guys, “Do not let Romeo get the ball,” and was successful. He was probably ready to thwart multiple plan B’s too, and giggled when it was obvious we had nothing as Green held the ball with the game tied.  Had it not been for Rob saving the day, IU would’ve looked silly on that play and those quotes criticizing Archie would not be “dumbest.”

Archie’s recruiting is pretty great so far, but his in-game coaching (lineup rotation, play calling) is anything but good lately. I wish we could have intelligent discussions as Indiana fans about Indiana basketball rather than the “See?! We barely beat Butler! See?! We barely beat Penn State! See?! We barely beat Northwestern, so your criticism is dumb!” As fans of Indiana basketball we’re allowed to expect more.

I could not disagree more. A lot of dumb over the top statements are made during IU's games every year. Seriously? We're ready to fire a coach a year and a third into his tenure? A coach who has dealt with multiple injuries and has more top 50 wins than anyone else this year? A coach who is locking down the state and stealing high-level recruits right out of our rival's back yard?  A coach who's had significant tournament success with far less talent than he's getting at IU?

It's one thing to question a coach or player decision or execution but it's entirely another thing to publicly wish them gone over a few plays or even a few games.  I'm sorry...that's over the top and yes, it's dumb.  It's the kind of crap I expect from UK fans but had hoped IU fans were at least mostly above. I'd also guess that most fans making these comments realize after the game is over that those comments were over-the-top silly and simply made in frustration in the heat of the battle.  I'd guarantee based on the reactions of other forum members that most members would agree these type of comments are too much.

I think Archie is one of the great young coaching minds in the game and it's worth noting that a previous IU hall of fame coach agrees since he's praised exactly none of his previous successors. There's not a coach in the business who's never made a decision that, in hindsight, was not a good one. Nitpick if you must but the results are there. Look at other games from yesterday...IU is far from the only team struggling to get past other teams and pulling out unexpectedly close decisions. IU is also not getting upset by inferior teams.  I'm sorry,  the blanket statement that we need to change coaches or should have never hired Archie is just dumb with a capital D.

...and yes, I also think publicly wishing a player gone simply because he doesn't always execute perfectly is dumb as well.  The problems you see are not unique to IU by any stretch. If they were, IU would not be a top-25 team with a 9-2 record. Some folks need to chill before they start banging on their keyboards during a game.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think part of the problem is that people have a hard time appreciating what good defensive play involves...in particular the art of locking down teams in the last 5 minutes. It's a lot easier to spot turnovers and people who haven't developed a shot. 4-0 in one possession games is  no accident.

Also, it is no accident that Archie is scheduling tougher games to identify weaknesses that he can work on in the second semester. Like many, I appreciate the info and anticipate continual improvement.

Hard to complain about a team that is undefeated in league play...in a league in which only 1 of the 14 teams is sub-500.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Yeah game threads are honestly awful. Not just here. 

Depends on how you look at.  More often than not I really participate in them when I am not watching the game.  I take what the guys say here concerning plays that I can't see on the radio.  Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad.

2 hours ago, Maud'Dib said:

I would like to add the person who called "ball game" with a few minutes left in the first half.   That drives me crazy when people say that. 

I would have added that but there was no way for me to tell when it was said after the fact. Definitely worthy of nomination though.

3 hours ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

P.S. - I was very wrong about RP taking last shot. 🤣😂🤣

Snozz, agree with what you said there and wanted to make it clear that when you said it, your comment was very logical. It was just so funny that it was immediately refuted on the court that I felt I had to include it just for fun.  Your nomination was definitely made in a different spirit than the others.:cheers:

Archived