Butler Postgame Thread

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Maud'Dib said:

Maybe it has already been mentioned, but i must say that in addition to the win, i got immense satisfaction in seeing Jordan Tucker contribute nothing the rest of the game after his stare down of the bench following his 3.  what a dillhole.

Kid acted like we didn’t recruit him. Like we spurned him or something. I will say those shooters we faced will prepare us for the better shooters in the B1G.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

You are absolutely correct. What your describing is a logical fallacy I believe called “argument from authority.” Basically claiming anyone who isn’t a recognized authority is wrong in comparison to someone who is. That’s pure ignorance. The merits of an argument stand separate from the person stating them. Either the information and argument laid out is reasonable and valid or it isn’t. It isn’t right or wrong based on the perceived authority of the opposing person.

Ok, this is dead wrong in my opinion, and I'll tell you why.

I was an air traffic controller for 20 years. During that time, I had people who I knew who weren't controllers say, "hey, I've played that computer game TRACON before, so I know what that's like!"

No you don't. Not even close. Period.

I was stationed at a base where they would let controllers occasionally come over and play on the very realistic F-15 simulator. One of the smart aleck controllers came out of it and said, "hey, that wasn't so bad!" A real F-15 jock said, "Well, if you mess up in there, no biggie. I mess up in real life, I buy it." A few minutes later, the same pilot says something about the TRACON game, and the same smart aleck controller says, "If you mess that up, no biggie. I mess up in real life, YOU buy it." Cracked us all up...even the F-15 jock.

Never think you know as much as someone who does it for a living.

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The wife and I were out of town, Nashville Tenn. for the week-end. Was only able to watch the last 4 1/2 minutes of the game. Let me say it was pretty exciting to say the least!!

Good win and Morgan was a beast!! Phin had ice water in his veins! I'm sure everyone at the Opryland Hotel could hear me screaming! The Cardiac Kids came through...

Let me just say...the other 35 1/2 minutes of the game would have given you heartburn...you got the best part lol. If we would just take care of the basketball given our pretty efficient offense this game would have been a 10 pt win.

I was just over on a Butler message board and I found the below comment from a Butler fan interesting.....he only credits our team and says Archie is not a good coach. 😂

I think IU has top ten talent, maybe even top 5. They’re not well coached, but their talent level is elite. I think we’re better than them, but are still struggling to find who we are. I’d like to see the ball in Aaron’s hands even more. Sean has taken a huge leap, and playing Morgan was great for Brunk. I’m a bit worried about our NCAA prospects but highly encouraged by our trajectory. 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was an air traffic controller for 20 years. During that time, I had people who I knew who weren't controllers say, "hey, I've played that computer game TRACON before, so I know what that's like!"

I was stationed at a base where they would let controllers occasionally come over and play on the very realistic F-15 simulator. One of the smart aleck controllers came out of it and said, "hey, that wasn't so bad!" A real F-15 jock said, "Well, if you mess up in there, no biggie. I mess up in real life, I buy it." A few minutes later, the same pilot says something about the TRACON game, and the same smart aleck controller says, "If you mess that up, no biggie. I mess up in real life, YOU buy it." Cracked us all up...even the F-15 jock.

That's not the point of the fallacy.  The point is that just because someone is a recognized authority on a subject does not mean that anything they say or do regarding that subject is automatically correct.

You know, even Bob Knight or Coach K can do or say something about coaching that is wrong, regardless of their status in the profession.  It's not really quite the scenario you laid out.  It is possible for Archie Miller to be wrong and a message board poster to be right on one call in a game.  It doesn't make Archie Miller less of a coach or the poster more of one.

The whole point of logical fallacies is that understanding them is actually a key tool to understanding an argument based on its merits vs. the many rhetorical and manipulative devices attached to them that give a false sense of validity.

Example: you should trust me on this; I'm a former English teacher.  

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Problem is that type of offense we grew up watching no longer exists because it is all ball screens and dribble drive offenses

I am watching Michigan St set some pretty screens and guys are getting open looks. I’m not saying I want a motion offense, I just don’t like all the standing on a standard set play. Michigan is another team that will carve you up on offense. They spread the floor and know how to get open . Just like the anouncer said yesterday.. If we didn’t have Morgan, we would have been blown out. Maybe it’s a confidence thing. Maybe I’m overthinking. The positive is we do have Morgan and we know how to get him the ball. Something Crean could never get right.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Then you completely missed my point. No it would be foolish to assume that someone who has a degree in something knows the same volume of information of a person who hasn’t even studied the topic. That isn’t what I said at all. 

I said to merely say “I have said degree” or “I have said job” that means anything we disagree on I’m right and you’re wrong” is my friend dead wrong.

A person with a degree from MIT can make a mistake in a math equation that a person without a degree from MIT didn’t. Idk how else to explain this. You don’t win arguments or debates by throwing a resume down in the table. You win the debate with the content of what you are saying.

51 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I think Archie Miller deserves National Coach Of The Year for what he has accomplished with the new players !!! Injuries have depleted the Hoosiers bench And made it hard to have any team chemistry ! Yet , we are 9-2 while pee yew is 6+5 !!!   

Rick Barnes says hello

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I think Archie Miller deserves National Coach Of The Year for what he has accomplished with the new players !!! Injuries have depleted the Hoosiers bench And made it hard to have any team chemistry ! Yet , we are 9-2 while pee yew is 6+5 !!!   

Do they give that award out tomorrow?  I don't think so.  And it is possible to post something without always mentioning Lafayette.

32 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Then you completely missed my point. No it would be foolish to assume that someone who has a degree in something knows the same volume of information of a person who hasn’t even studied the topic. That isn’t what I said at all. 

I said to merely say “I have said degree” or “I have said job” that means anything we disagree on I’m right and you’re wrong” is my friend dead wrong.

A person with a degree from MIT can make a mistake in a math equation that a person without a degree from MIT didn’t. Idk how else to explain this. You don’t win arguments or debates by throwing a resume down in the table. You win the debate with the content of what you are saying.

No, I understand perfectly what both you and rouge3542 are saying.

Can someone who has little or no background in coaching be "right" about something that CAM did that turned out wrong? Maybe, but most of the time the in game decisions have hundreds of variables and we're not going to know if the decision the novice made would have worked because Archie, drawing up the fact that his dad was a coach, his brother is a coach, he played in high school and college (I'm beginning to sound like Mona Lisa Vito) and has been a coach for 7 years, made a different decision.

I'm not sure anyone can point to a demonstrable CAM coaching situation where there was a clear right and a clear wrong and they were on the right side. If someone can, I'd like to hear it.

2 hours ago, Maud'Dib said:

Maybe it has already been mentioned, but i must say that in addition to the win, i got immense satisfaction in seeing Jordan Tucker contribute nothing the rest of the game after his stare down of the bench following his 3.  what a dillhole.

Since we’re discussing credentials on this board, here comes the God King of Dune. How’s that for a credential folks?

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Can someone who has little or no background in coaching be "right" about something that CAM did that turned out wrong? Maybe, but most of the time the in game decisions have hundreds of variables and we're not going to know if the decision the novice made would have worked because Archie, drawing up the fact that his dad was a coach, his brother is a coach, he played in high school and college (I'm beginning to sound like Mona Lisa Vito) and has been a coach for 7 years, made a different decision.

I'm not sure anyone can point to a demonstrable CAM coaching situation where there was a clear right and a clear wrong and they were on the right side. If someone can, I'd like to hear it.

Agree 100%

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I have a saying that I hold dear to my heart, " the more you know, the more you know you don't know"

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's one... and keep in mind, I want to name my first born son, Archie...so I am quite the fan 😂 (and for the record, I am meeting a lot of resistance from the wife on that)

Archie called his last timeout at Arkansas at the wrong time. 

A tie game. Arkansas gets fouled with 2 seconds and change on the clock. Archie calls a timeout. Why? Why not wait until after the 2nd miss or make? If it's a miss, you want an immediate time out so you're not heaving it from the opposite free throw line. You HAVE to give your team the best opportunity at a bucket. If it's a make, you don't want your team scrambling for a play with 5 seconds ticking on the inbounds play. The timeout should have been saved for after the 2nd free throw, miss or make. With 2.2 seconds on the clock, you could get to the very spot on the floor that Rob hit his game winner on an inbounds play. That is the right way. What Archie did was the wrong way, but that's ok.

Dangerous thinking by you to think that you can't be wrong because you carry a title and someone else doesn't.

12 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Here's one... and keep in mind, I want to name my first born son, Archie...so I am quite the fan 😂 (and for the record, I am meeting a lot of resistance from the wife on that)

Archie called his last timeout at Arkansas at the wrong time. 

A tie game. Arkansas gets fouled with 2 seconds and change on the clock. Archie calls a timeout. Why? Why not wait until after the 2nd miss or make? If it's a miss, you want an immediate time out so you're not heaving it from the opposite free throw line. You HAVE to give your team the best opportunity at a bucket. If it's a make, you don't want your team scrambling for a play with 5 seconds ticking on the inbounds play. The timeout should have been saved for after the 2nd free throw, miss or make. With 2.2 seconds on the clock, you could get to the very spot on the floor that Rob hit his game winner on an inbounds play. That is the right way. What Archie did was the wrong way, but that's ok.

Dangerous thinking by you to think that you can't be wrong because you carry a title and someone else doesn't.

Seriously, you attend all the practices and know all the players positives and negatives, so you can draw up a better play?????? 

15 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Seriously, you attend all the practices and know all the players positives and negatives, so you can draw up a better play?????? 

You do not have to be at practice and know anything about the players to understand how to strategically use a timeout man.  Apples and comets here.  Archie used that timeout wrong.  I think most would agree.

Wasn't that the play where he was asking his bench if he should call the TO?  I just assumed he got the green light to call a TO because his bench coaches thought he had two left?  I'm not sure this is as black and white as it's being painted. I think it's possible that someone on the bench was supposed to be counting time outs and in the heat of the battle, miscounted.

Archived