Butler Postgame Thread

38 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Seriously, you attend all the practices and know all the players positives and negatives, so you can draw up a better play?????? 

Is this supposed to have relevance to what I said? The timeout was wrong. I said nothing about myself drawing up a play, or knowing more than Archie does...because...gasp...I don't know more than Archie knows about basketball. But that doesn't mean that he can't be wrong and I can never be right. Archie would coach circles around me...but I am right on the timeout, he was wrong.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archie is definitely not perfect, nobody is... hes young and still learning, as is the team.  They will all make mistakes!  Arch isnt above criticism.  but the the fact is there is nobody on this board that knows more or is a better coach.. if they did, they would be coaching IU or another blue blood program... 

Once a consistent outside shooter emerges,  all this chatter about  x's and o's will go away... the offense opens up at that point, and we arent so easy to defend anymore...  

I know everything falls on CAM's shoulders as head coach.. but Ed is responsible for player development,  and i think we all, for the most part agree that we cant and wont do better than that.  

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

Here's one... and keep in mind, I want to name my first born son, Archie...so I am quite the fan 😂 (and for the record, I am meeting a lot of resistance from the wife on that)

Archie called his last timeout at Arkansas at the wrong time. 

A tie game. Arkansas gets fouled with 2 seconds and change on the clock. Archie calls a timeout. Why? Why not wait until after the 2nd miss or make? If it's a miss, you want an immediate time out so you're not heaving it from the opposite free throw line. You HAVE to give your team the best opportunity at a bucket. If it's a make, you don't want your team scrambling for a play with 5 seconds ticking on the inbounds play. The timeout should have been saved for after the 2nd free throw, miss or make. With 2.2 seconds on the clock, you could get to the very spot on the floor that Rob hit his game winner on an inbounds play. That is the right way. What Archie did was the wrong way, but that's ok.

Dangerous thinking by you to think that you can't be wrong because you carry a title and someone else doesn't.

I'm not sure I would count this as demonstrable. 2 or 3 ways to play it, and none of them are good. The score was tied when the Arkansas kid went to the line. He was a 79% ft shooter. I think CAM was trying to ice him, thinking the only was to win, beyond a miracle shot, was over time. And that would be a valid strategy.

Oh, and see if your wife would go with Ryan. That's Archie's real name. Then you could start calling him Archie as a nickname...😁

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Ok, this is dead wrong in my opinion, and I'll tell you why.

I was an air traffic controller for 20 years. During that time, I had people who I knew who weren't controllers say, "hey, I've played that computer game TRACON before, so I know what that's like!"

No you don't. Not even close. Period.

I was stationed at a base where they would let controllers occasionally come over and play on the very realistic F-15 simulator. One of the smart aleck controllers came out of it and said, "hey, that wasn't so bad!" A real F-15 jock said, "Well, if you mess up in there, no biggie. I mess up in real life, I buy it." A few minutes later, the same pilot says something about the TRACON game, and the same smart aleck controller says, "If you mess that up, no biggie. I mess up in real life, YOU buy it." Cracked us all up...even the F-15 jock.

Never think you know as much as someone who does it for a living.

You've opened up quite the Pandora's Box my friend. People a lot smarter and more qualified than you to determine what a logical fallacy is DO consider it a logical fallacy. 

How can you, while remaining an honest man, make a case that the argument from authority isn't a logical fallacy while you disagree with authority? Further, you attempt to do this not by presenting evidence but by telling an anecdotal story. 

"More doctors smoke camels."

13 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I am watching Michigan St set some pretty screens and guys are getting open looks. I’m not saying I want a motion offense, I just don’t like all the standing on a standard set play. Michigan is another team that will carve you up on offense. They spread the floor and know how to get open . Just like the anouncer said yesterday.. If we didn’t have Morgan, we would have been blown out. Maybe it’s a confidence thing. Maybe I’m overthinking. The positive is we do have Morgan and we know how to get him the ball. Something Crean could never get right.

You realize IU has a top 40 offense right? Not to mention one of the best effective field goal percentages in the entire country, all of this with a ton of injuries, a relatively young rotation, and a pretty solid schedule to this point. Some people will never be happy.

2 hours ago, SIHoosier26 said:

You realize IU has a top 40 offense right? Not to mention one of the best effective field goal percentages in the entire country. All of this with a ton of injuries and a pretty solid schedule to this point. Some people will never be happy.

I believe we're the 6th best 2 pt shooting team in the country currently.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You've opened up quite the Pandora's Box my friend. People a lot smarter and more qualified than you to determine what a logical fallacy is DO consider it a logical fallacy. 

How can you, while remaining an honest man, make a case that the argument from authority isn't a logical fallacy while you disagree with authority? Further, you attempt to do this not by presenting evidence but by telling an anecdotal story. 

Lol love the last sentence :))

if Argument from Authority isn’t a logical fallacy I’ve got an idea...I have a degree in philosophy and that included the study of Logic, so unless someone has a degree in Logic or a Masters in Philosophy I’m now declaring myself the only person in this board to determine what things said are logical or not.

yes, that’s a pandora’s Box big time 

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

if Argument from Authority isn’t a logical fallacy I’ve got an idea...I have a degree in philosophy and that included the study of Logic, so unless someone has a degree in Logic or a Masters in Philosophy I’m now declaring myself the only person in this board to determine what things said are logical or not.

Well, that sounds logical. 

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Spock, is that you?  I want to see your ears and blood!

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This is a threadjack, but...people a lot smarter and more qualified consider it a defeasible argument.

It is not necessarily considered a fallacy. If the authority is relevant to the question at hand (e.g. a coach making a judgment about a way to play), it is considered an argument:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

On 12/16/2018 at 5:22 AM, Seeking6 said:

I love all Hoosier fans but it does get pretty scary during a game. Some of the stuff I run across on twitter is scary. There's a facebook group called Hoosier Nation something....that place is even scarier the lack of basketball knowledge running around. 

Reminds me of..."What's the best thing about IU basketball? The fans. What's the worst thing about IU basketball? Also, the fans."

57 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

This is a threadjack, but...people a lot smarter and more qualified consider it a defeasible argument.

It is not necessarily considered a fallacy. If the authority is relevant to the question at hand (e.g. a coach making a judgment about a way to play), it is considered an argument:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Correct! It’s an argument. It’s not settled merely because someone else has a higher degree or a job in the field where the debate over the topic resides.

13 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Reminds me of..."What's the best thing about IU basketball? The fans. What's the worst thing about IU basketball? Also, the fans."

I’m fine with someone saying “I’m going to mention that I’m certified in ______,” when sharing their view and all things being equal that is an argument. But to dismiss someone’s points because they don’t have a degree or certification...OR to declare or imply your view point “wins” because of your job or degree is a logical fallacy.

Archived