HSN. What's Your Favorite Buzzer Beater ?

milehiiu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You can include about half of the 1989 conference season. Jay Edwards made about 6 game ending shots. His buzzer beater vs Michigan was pure pandemonium. My 2nd IU game ever up in the balcony. 

Given your 3 though. I'll still always go Smart.

Yeah, Smart's shot for sure because of what was at stake...

With the added bonus of Billy Packer whining at the end, "Nobody stopped the clock!"

Watford's has to be second because it's Kentucky. 

Big Shot Rob's bucket yesterday is right at the top of the rest though...

Smarts is number one because it was for a title.

But, honestly, other than that, nothing is remotely close to the WatShot.  It had so many impacts, not the least of which was likely preventing an undefeated UK season.

And another factor.  A shot in a tie game like Phins is never, ever, as important as one when you lose if you miss, like Wats. That is a huge factor in determining importance.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I have to say that Smart's shot is my favorite because of what was at stake. While it may not have been a true buzzer beater (time wasn't running out), without it we wouldn't have won that game. It's great to know that we'll forever be known as national champions for that season. PS Anytime we could win a game called by Brent Musburger & Billy Packer was always a bonus in my book.

Next for me would have to be the Jay Edwards shot against Michigan in 1989. I was at the game, the hall was rocking and it was so loud that you couldn't hear the buzzer to even know if the ball had left his hands before it sounded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaJTuXlBXlk

Then, the Wat shot because anytime you can beat Kentucky is a great day. 

As for the Phinisee finish, I have to love Rob's awareness & willingness to take that shot. Especially as a freshman. He definitely got up high to take that shot and as I think Joe Hillman put it once upon a time, "It was bucket"!!! 

Going wayback, I remember Butch Carter hitting a shot with 8 seconds left to give IU the NIT championship over Purdue. Anytime we can get the best of the Boilers it's a great day as well.

PS: My least favorite buzzer beater had to be from Illinois' Nick Anderson in 1989 the week after Edwards buzzer beater against Michigan. 

2 hours ago, IUredhead said:

I have to say that Smart's shot is my favorite because of what was at stake. While it may not have been a true buzzer beater (time wasn't running out), without it we wouldn't have won that game. It's great to know that we'll forever be known as national champions for that season. PS Anytime we could win a game called by Brent Musburger & Billy Packer was always a bonus in my book.

Next for me would have to be the Jay Edwards shot against Michigan in 1989. I was at the game, the hall was rocking and it was so loud that you couldn't hear the buzzer to even know if the ball had left his hands before it sounded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaJTuXlBXlk

Then, the Wat shot because anytime you can beat Kentucky is a great day. 

As for the Phinisee finish, I have to love Rob's awareness & willingness to take that shot. Especially as a freshman. He definitely got up high to take that shot and as I think Joe Hillman put it once upon a time, "It was bucket"!!! 

Going wayback, I remember Butch Carter hitting a shot with 8 seconds left to give IU the NIT championship over Purdue. Anytime we can get the best of the Boilers it's a great day as well.

PS: My least favorite buzzer beater had to be from Illinois' Nick Anderson in 1989 the week after Edwards buzzer beater against Michigan. 

Butch Carter.  That's a name I haven't heard about in a long time !

I could not find a vid specifically of his game winner against PU.  However, I did find a poor quality vid of the entire game.  Fast forward to approx. 1:16:07 for Butch's game winner.

Thanks for the memory. 

1979 NIT Championship - Indiana vs Purdue

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Butch Carter.  That's a name I haven't heard about in a long time !

I could not find a vid specifically of his game winner against PU.  However, I did find a poor quality vid of the entire game.  Fast forward to approx. 1:16:07 for Butch's game winner.

Thanks for the memory. 

1979 NIT Championship - Indiana vs Purdue

I remember that game well. Went to high school with Jerry Sichting and I knew he'd get the last shot. He got a good look from the corner, but it was off the back iron. 

I was glad he missed, but I can't say I didn't feel bad for him. He is a great guy. Never saw anything but humility from him.

He should have went to IU. Knight always said that was one of his biggest recruiting gaffes.

And he should have won Mr Basketball in 1975. Kyle Macy, who went to Purdue with Jerry but transferred to Kentucky (double loser!) because Sichting was getting more playing time, won it. Actually the best player in the state was Sam Drummer, but Jerry should have won Mr Basketball.

Macy did play on the pUKe NC team in 1978, but I'm sure if you mentioned him to most Kentuckians they'd think of that fancy store at the mall.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Smarts is number one because it was for a title.

But, honestly, other than that, nothing is remotely close to the WatShot.  It had so many impacts, not the least of which was likely preventing an undefeated UK season.

And another factor.  A shot in a tie game like Phins is never, ever, as important as one when you lose if you miss, like Wats. That is a huge factor in determining importance.

Totally agree......

Yesterday was the first time I have ever been in person for a buzzer beater. Counting HS, college and pro I know I have been to over 200 games so it hard to believe I have never saw a buzzer beater.  I was at the NCAA tournament game where Princeton beat UCLA with a shot with around 5 seconds to go but it was  not a true buzzer beater.

As much as he takes abuse(some deserved, some not, imo) on this and other boards, Kent Benson’s last second tip in vs Michigan saved our undefeated season in n 75-76. Without that play, we would have just have been another national champion and one of our program’s claims to fame would never have happened.

Not a dramatic long shot like the Watshot or Rob’s yesterday, but imo a much more important shot for our program

Archived