HSN. What's Your Favorite Buzzer Beater ?

milehiiu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The best part about phinisee's shot to me was archies reaction.  He didnt run around like a fool, he didnt look dumbfounded, he just leaned on the scorers table looking mad about the play breaking down. 

And IMHO, it wasn't Romeo's fault that the play broke down, because he slipped.   I don't know what was wrong with the court. But guys were slipping and sliding the entire game. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As much as he takes abuse(some deserved, some not, imo) on this and other boards, Kent Benson’s last second tip in vs Michigan saved our undefeated season in n 75-76. Without that play, we would have just have been another national champion and one of our program’s claims to fame would never have happened.

Not a dramatic long shot like the Watshot or Rob’s yesterday, but imo a much more important shot for our program

I remember that shot well and remember how stressed my dad was. That was my first experience with real pressure since exiting the birth canal.

29 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And IMHO, it wasn't Romeo's fault that the play broke down, because he slipped.   I don't know what was wrong with the court. But guys were slipping and sliding the entire game. 

I saw a video posted to twitter that had a floor level view from behind the iu cheerleaders.  Before Romeo could make his cut at the baseline he was pushed a bit from behind and it looked like it may have thrown him off balance. 

I dont want Archie to be emotionless but it sure is nice to the that intensity back on the sideline.

The Watshot is my favorite. I was there as a student row 13ish. I just remember sitting with my head in my hands as thinking we had blown it when the ball gets passed to Christan and I jumped/ yelled and started helping people to the court. I didnt trust myself hopping over seats so i just helped folks get down to the court ha. Such a fond memory one of my buddies dressed up like a gorilla for that game as well ha  I think there might have been more than one that day ha 

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, Smart's shot for sure because of what was at stake...

With the added bonus of Billy Packer whining at the end, "Nobody stopped the clock!"

Watford's has to be second because it's Kentucky. 

Big Shot Rob's bucket yesterday is right at the top of the rest though...

Smart's shot was not a buzzer beater.  Packer was referring to the 'Cuse not calling a TO as soon as the shot went through.  People forget that Syracuse actually had an inbounds play after the "buzzer beater".  Just as they forget the Calloway put back in the Regional Finals against LSU that even got us to the Final Four.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Smart's shot was not a buzzer beater.  Packer was referring to the 'Cuse not calling a TO as soon as the shot went through.  People forget that Syracuse actually had an inbounds play after the "buzzer beater".  Just as they forget the Calloway put back in the Regional Finals against LSU that even got us to the Final Four.

I know all that. Just going by what the OP posted. Game winning shot, as he said, would have been more appropriate.

So if we're going to pick nits, Watford for the win...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I know all that. Just going by what the OP posted. Game winning shot, as he said, would have been more appropriate.

There ya go.  Nice nit pick...LOL  But I would agree with the selection of the "Wat Shot".

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I’ve posted on this before but that Watshot was a special, special day for me and my oldest - will always remember it. 

We were driving back from an away game at San Antonio (Houston Dynamo Academy), he had just tied the record for most goals scored in an Acsdemy league (highest level of youth soccer) game, 5. Was a phenomenal showing, scored from all over the field. 

We were listening to the game for most of the drive, and we’re yelling and cheering in the car, then Wat gets the shot off and it’s Watford for the win, Yeahhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhh! And we’re going nuts in the car. It’s a wonder I didn’t crash. 

Then we get home and watch it (dvr), and go nuts all over again. 

One of my favorite memories for sure 

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The best part about phinisee's shot to me was archies reaction.  He didnt run around like a fool, he didnt look dumbfounded, he just leaned on the scorers table looking mad about the play breaking down. 

Very true. I don't mind the coach showing some emotion but the stoic we've been here before is impressive.

Did u see RL reaction just a hand up as ball was released.

For me my favorite is either kirk's or the wat shot.

But my dads favorite wasnt a game winner but at the half. When we would watch replays of the 87 championship game he would always point out alfords first half buzzer beater. Alford took a 3 from the corner and ran off to the locker room without even seeing if went in.  

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

But my dads favorite wasnt a game winner but at the half. When we would watch replays of the 87 championship game he would always point out alfords first half buzzer beater. Alford took a 3 from the corner and ran off to the locker room without even seeing if went in.  

Talking about half time buzzer beaters.  I will never forget Gus Johnson's call: "Oh, Oladipo, ha, ha, and it counts !"

Gus Johnson calls Indiana Buzzer Beater 

There was a game back around '84-'86 when we were the visitors (I want to say it was at Michigan or MSU), when Steve Alford took the ball all the way to basket for a game winning layup.  My memory of the particulars is fuzzy because I got held over at work that night and didn't get to see or record it and only ended up seeing the highlights.  Kind of an unusual buzzer beater in that a great shooter did it with a layup. (reminded me of the buzzer beater layup/close-in shot to beat DePaul back around 1980 in the NCAA tourney).

For true buzzer beaters, the TDH list is one I can't argue with.

26 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

There was a game back around '84-'86 when we were the visitors (I want to say it was at Michigan or MSU), when Steve Alford took the ball all the way to basket for a game winning layup.  My memory of the particulars is fuzzy because I got held over at work that night and didn't get to see or record it and only ended up seeing the highlights.  Kind of an unusual buzzer beater in that a great shooter did it with a layup. (reminded me of the buzzer beater layup/close-in shot to beat DePaul back around 1980 in the NCAA tourney).

You have forgotten this one.....

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

That was a great shot that was set up by Hillman dishing the ball to Alford and setting a screen on the defensive player.

50 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

At UM and that was the most excited I have ever seen RMK by jumping up and down all the way to the locker room and that was in 87

A little off topic because it wasn't a NCAA game, but one of the best was an ABA Pacer game (pretty sure it was against the Kentucky Colonels).  Not only a last-second, game winner but one of the best out of bounds plays I ever saw: Pacers were inbounding the ball from the side line at their end of the court (near mid court), the inbounder threw the ball to one of their best three point shooters who caught the ball, hesitated momentarily and put up the long three.  The guy who inbounded the ball had sprinted straight to the bucket, caught the ball and dunked it.  I want to say it was Darnell Hillman and Billy Keller, but it was over 50 years ago.  Very similar to the NC State title winner in the 80's.

Archived