Justin Smith

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Ask CAM. You think CAM is just throwing him into the starting lineup? Again he's 3rd in scoring, 3rd in rebounds, 3rd in steals, and who starts etc. is determined first in practice and then in game performance. CAM is starting him. Of course he's earned it.

i am certainly not a division 1 coach and never claimed i was or knew anything near what CAM does.  But i have watched college basketball for over 30 years.  I don't think he deserves to be a starter.  Is he the best option we have, probably at this point and maybe he is an outstanding practice guy, but even when he has a terrible first half and he has had a few, he always gets the 2nd half start.  That doesn't tell me he deserves it but that he is the best option we have at the 4

14 hours ago, Muckraker said:

Freddy was MUCH better after one year under Archie, than when he arrived. I don't think he developed at all for Crean. Smith seems to have regressed from where he was at the end of last year. I don't expect to see Justin Curry out there. I just want to see a player that looks like he learned something from his last game, from the recent practices, and is ready, willing and able to put what he has learned into practice in games. So far I'm not seeing anything of the sort.  L'm not giving up on him, but I hope CAM starts to explore other options. 

I love Freddy and appreciate what he did for IU when the time was difficult. But he was like a football player playing basketball. He was all heart, 110% heart without skills. For a short run, Freddy can be better than Smith because of hustle plays, but Smith definitely has MUCH better long-term value and is worth 'investing' playing time. I think the main problem with Smith is he's not yet comfortable playing his role yet, and he, like McBob, seems to have fear of failure on offensive end in Archie's system. If Crean were still our coach (I don't mean I miss Tom Crean as IU coach), Smith would have no problem launching shots from all over the place with more confidence. With Archie's X's and O's, players have more things to think about, and they can be unsure sometimes. Smith needs time and more experience.

We also need to remember Justin is a sophomore.  A whole 40 games into his IU career. Look at where Juwan was as a sophomore or even beginning of last year. It takes some time. It's all between his head. He has done better these last couple games. And he has also been playing defense on the teams best/hottest player the last few as well. He isn't going pro after this year, but he shouldn't be relegated to the bench. If he gives us 10 and 5 with good hustle and fewer turnovers he would be ahead of a lot of sophomores anywhere. Hopefully he gained some confidence in his shot last game. I'm a smith fan, and he does make some boneheaded plays. But I've seen them from all our players from time to time. He isn't Troy Williams all over the place and Troy really got better once h developed a shot and realized he was more athletic than 80 percent of the guys he was playing against.  Maybe it will come to Justin. Long season ahead, hopefully he gets some confidence and continues the upward trend.  

Was curious if anyone knows smith 3 point percentage as a senior in high school? I feel like if he can shoot an average percentage from there it would really help the team and space the floor better for his drives and cuts as well as opening stuff up more for everyone else. He hit one from top of the key against butler and it looked good so just curious to why he doesn’t have any more confidence from out there 

Justin need to soften up his hands.  Do that and he doesn't turn the ball over as much and he gets to the rim alot more.  For whatever reason, the ball just bounces off his hands when someone tries to feed him.  Otherwise he looked much better, although it was against directional U whom we should be able to dominate like we did.  Maybe a confidence booster going into Jacksonville and then on to the B1G.  We will need him to continue to put up around 10 points and keep his TOs low

My two major critique's of Justin's game right now:

(1) He has no left hand, either dribbling or finishing at the rim.  Watch the difference between him and J-Mo in utilizing their left hands.  This is absolutely something that can be developed and improved on -- I'm just surprised that it hasn't happened already.  Right now he leans on his right hand to the point of failure.  That is way to easy to defend at this level of college basketball.

(2)  You've heard of hunting shots?  Smith needs to hunt rebounds.  He gets the rebounds that come to him.  Sometimes that is one or two a game.  Sometimes it is 8.  He needs to hunt rebounds like McSwain did last year or like Jordan Murphy does.  With his vertical, he could average near double digits if he made it a point of emphasis.

9 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

(1) He has no left hand, either dribbling or finishing at the rim.  Watch the difference between him and J-Mo in utilizing their left hands.  This is absolutely something that can be developed and improved on -- I'm just surprised that it hasn't happened already.  Right now he leans on his right hand to the point of failure.  That is way to easy to defend at this level of college basketball.

(2)  You've heard of hunting shots?  Smith needs to hunt rebounds.  He gets the rebounds that come to him.  Sometimes that is one or two a game.  Sometimes it is 8.  He needs to hunt rebounds like McSwain did last year or like Jordan Murphy does.  With his vertical, he could average near double digits if he made it a point of emphasis.

1.  Agree with this analysis.  It's impossible for me to think that the extreme R hand use has gone unnoticed by CAM.  You know it's in all the scouting reports on Justin.  They are probably working on it but  he just hasn't progressed enough to feel comfortable in games.

2.  If Justin played to his athletic strengths and hunted rebounds as you say, he would probably average 6-8pts just on "garbage clean up."  Up until the last few games, I thought he played timid and avoided contact.  Again, with his athleticism he should be seeking contact and drawing fouls like Romeo.

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Excellent critique. He needs to slow down a bit and let things develop. He will try to go to fast sometimes worrying the lane will close down etc. Morgan is never in a hurry and KNOWS how to get where he wants on the floor...or take what the defense gives. Justin wants to go stuff it. Sometimes it leads to charges...sometimes he shuffles his feet in a hurry but usually he gets himself into trouble going so fast. Kid is ubber athletic...plays very very good defense...able to guard multiple positions. Has a quick jump so he can get his shot off in the lane easily. I do agree needs to hunt rebounds...it's about moving as soon as the shot goes up...anticipation and getting to a spot and then...grab with TWO hands. He just tries to out jump people right now...and yes he usually can...but that still doesn't help him come down with it. Rebounding is so much about positioning. To get where we need him to be...just doing those couple things he would easily be our 3rd best player and a huge improvement. Yes if he could knock down that corner 3...well that's NBA material then. He has it in him....hoping it will come. But I'm not trying to dog the kid. He tries...he doesn't loaf or pout...he is a hard worker. Just his potential is so high it frustrates some I'm sure but let's support the kid and not tear him down!

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Hoosierfan1215 said:

We also need to remember Justin is a sophomore.  A whole 40 games into his IU career. Look at where Juwan was as a sophomore or even beginning of last year. It takes some time. It's all between his head. He has done better these last couple games. And he has also been playing defense on the teams best/hottest player the last few as well. He isn't going pro after this year, but he shouldn't be relegated to the bench. If he gives us 10 and 5 with good hustle and fewer turnovers he would be ahead of a lot of sophomores anywhere. Hopefully he gained some confidence in his shot last game. I'm a smith fan, and he does make some boneheaded plays. But I've seen them from all our players from time to time. He isn't Troy Williams all over the place and Troy really got better once h developed a shot and realized he was more athletic than 80 percent of the guys he was playing against.  Maybe it will come to Justin. Long season ahead, hopefully he gets some confidence and continues the upward trend.  

And I bet it wasn't even that many given it took a while before he saw significant minutes last year. Definitely learning....I trust it will come for him!

What seems to be forgotten in this whole "analysis " of Justin is that he was recruited to play under an entirely different style of play than what he is being asked to play now.

Under Crean, the mantra was always, "play faster". There seemed to be less structure, certainly less half-court sets, and less emphasis on defense. For a kid as athletic as Justin, I am sure that the appeal of that style was to get out and run, play uptempo, and use his physical gifts to score in transition. I know this sounds antithetical to the oft voiced criticism that Justin has a low motor and needs to pick it up. I don't necessarily agree with that train of thought. Instead, I wonder if it's harder for him to ramp it up when the offense tends to play a bit methodical, certainly more than what the style he  was recruited to. 

Not trying to give the kid a complete pass, but as has been said, he is still young, still learning, and still adapting to a kind of play that maybe he wasn't recruited to.

Justin doesn't need to play faster or have more motor. His motor is running plenty fine! He just needs to anticipate the game more (which comes only with EXPERIENCE). It's not so much about how fast you play it's about getting to spots on the floor....sometimes it's about working your way there is much more efficient and quicker than just trying to sprint to it. Juwan constantly beats his man and get's himself in position to rebound etc....not because he is faster (he definitely isn't) he anticipates his moves and what the defense is doing and executes at a high level. If Justin can start to do that....watch out! Justin needs to slow his body down...and speed up his mind....and that will come with experience as others are saying. He has played limited minutes last year...and really learning a lot on the fly this year. If by next year he isn't getting it...ok it's fair to be more critical...but this team is SUPER YOUNG....I'm thrilled with how they are progressing.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's a shame that the one and done era has made us so impatient with player development, especially bigs.

As a redshirt sophomore, Ted Kitchel averaged 9 pts and 3 rebs. As a junior, Jeff Newton averaged 8 pts and 5 rebs. As a true Soph, Justin's averaging 8 and 4.

This is spot on. If Smith gets some Newton attitude on the court..that would be great...I always told my dad he's one dude I would look at and think twice about messing with..his dunk on Illinois plain as day in my mind right over Lucas Johnson...

Archived