Our ranking (sorry if already discussed)

BADGERVOL

Purely speculation, but since we’re guessing, I’d say 14th. We lost two true road games early, which doesn’t indicate how good or bad(in this case) you are. The Duke game had many teachable moments and if we’re lucky enough to play them down the road this season, it won’t be at their place. I think we should feel pretty good about where we sit at this moment. They clearly haven’t sold us on their potential yet, so how could we expect the rest of the country to buy in? The good thing, as someone previously mentioned is.... if we’re 9-2 at this point and have looked as sloppy/poor as we have, we can only get better. Not saying that we won’t struggle at times, because we clearly will. I’d say that we lose a game or two later that we should probably win. However, I think that we’ll continue to develop and take positive strides. 

I think we’re #22 when the new poles get released. 

I'm gonna do it this way...let's say that we entered the polls at #20 after beating Marquette and Arkansas, slotting just ahead of Iowa, who was new to the poll that week.  The week after that, we beat the two cupcakes, and the four teams ahead of us in the rankings (Clemson, UCLA, TCU and LSU) dropped from the rankings. Iowa passed Florida State, so we probably do as well, and end up #14.  The week of the Duke game is where things get tricky. How much does the Northwestern win offset the Duke loss? We certainly aren't moving UP.  However, #12, #13, #15 and #17 all lost around us, so let's keep that group in tact. Florida State passes us, along with Wisconsin, Texas Tech and Buffalo. So we drop to #18, just behind Buffalo and ahead of Iowa and Ohio State. The next week, we beat Penn State and Louisville. We move up to #15, in between Buffalo and Ohio State, passing Wisconsin, UK and K State.

That's my prediction, we'd be #15 right now. Gonzaga is the only top 15 team that lost last week, but they don't drop enough to pass them. Even with beating Butler, we remain at #15 in the poll that comes out today.

I don’t understand this obsession with where we’d be ranked if we beat Arkansas... It really does not matter at all, and all the hand-wringing over a one-point road loss to a power conference team in November is pretty annoying, frankly.

We’re 5-2 against the Kenpom top 50.  Being ranked in the 15-20 range in December instead of the 20-25 range would make absolutely no difference in the long run.  We were ranked #3 after we beat Kansas and UNC in November 2016, and it meant nothing.  If we take care of business in conference, which needed to happen regardless of the outcome of the Arkansas game, the top 15 ranking and good tourney seed will come.  The Arkansas loss won’t hurt our resume at all come tourney time, and really, just the fact that we played the game helps our SOS and computer rankings.  Get over it.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don’t understand this obsession with where we’d be ranked if we beat Arkansas... It really does not matter at all, and all the hand-wringing over a one-point road loss to a power conference team in November is pretty annoying, frankly.

We’re 5-2 against the Kenpom top 50.  Being ranked in the 15-20 range in December instead of the 20-25 range would make absolutely no difference in the long run.  We were ranked #3 after we beat Kansas and UNC in November 2016, and it meant nothing.  If we take care of business in conference, which needed to happen regardless of the outcome of the Arkansas game, the top 15 ranking and good tourney seed will come.  The Arkansas loss won’t hurt our resume at all come tourney time, and really, just the fact that we played the game helps our SOS and computer rankings.  Get over it.

It's fun?

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

very very happy with 22.  still not cracking the coaches poll.

Coaches, by their very own admission at this time of the season do not have the time to watch games.  They rely upon what others tell them.  The Coaches poll, IMHO for basketball is very unreliable for that very reason.  Coaches FB poll is more reliable. But only to an extent.

Archived