Central Arkansas Pregame Thread

When: Wednesday, 12/19 at 7pm ET on BTN

Vegas: IU -22.5

ESPN: 97% chance of IU victory

KenPom: #24 IU vs # 272 Central Arkansas. Predicts final score of IU 85, Central Arkansas 63, with a 98% chance of IU victory.

IU Scouting Report

image.png.91db77e77b4e8d52befff4a981098b6e.png

Central Arkansas Scouting Report

image.png.6caf116f0f184b08854df4119a7c5d84.png

We have one opponent in common, as they lost to Louisville 86-41. Central Arkansas has a couple of guys that shoot above 43% from 3, DeAndre Jones and Eddy Kayouloud. Those guys catching fire seems to be the only way this one is close.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see Fitzner and Durham get back on track.  I want a blowout so they can get in the game and get as many minutes as possible.  Same with Damezi.  We need to find a shooter to get into the lineup to keep defenses honest.  These next 2 games should allow for some confidence building game time that the prior 4 did not.

Russ Pennell is the HC of the Central Arkansas team. He became the HC of Arizona when Lute Olson suddenly decided to retire. Spent one year as head guy at Arizona. Went 19-13, but got Arizona into the NCAAT.  Next year, Pennell was replaced by Archie Miller's brother in 2009. 

We rank t112 in assists/game.  When the defense gives us an opening we have to TAKE it and continue to pressure them until our shot fully opens up.  We have some players who seems capable but not comfortable with keeping sustained pressure while on offense (looking at you, McRoberts, Durham, Phinisee, Smith, Fitzner).  If the defense is slow to rotate, probe the opening and force them to keep scrambling.  If they don't help, look to score.  If they help, make them fully commit and pass to the open shooter or cutter.

Against top-50 teams, I think the above players are a bit unconfortable sustaining such pressure.  Our next two games gives those players an opportunity to become more comfortable attacking on offense.  We need at least a couple of guys to bring their game to the next level, and I'm expecting to see that happen Wednesday!  

84-62 Good guys win.

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I would like to see Fitzner and Durham get back on track.  I want a blowout so they can get in the game and get as many minutes as possible.  Same with Damezi.  We need to find a shooter to get into the lineup to keep defenses honest.  These next 2 games should allow for some confidence building game time that the prior 4 did not.

Agreed. Jump on them early and let some of our guys see some shots drop and build some confidence! Love to get Damezi and others some run!

Central Arkansas has two 7'0" centers who combine to average 12.3 pts . Per game ! IU should win this game by 30 points ( If IU comes ready to play ) Also , Jacksonville is 7-5 ! They average 649 FANS PER HOME GAME !😕 IU Fans need to be cranked for this and scare the devil out of Jacksonville ,vbg ! IU wins by at least 20 points !!!!!! If IU wins the next 2 games they will be 11&2 ! Last season we were only 7&6 after 13 games !!!

The University of Central Arkansas is located in Conway, Arkansas.  The 8th most populous city in the state, with approx 66k residents.  Conway, Arkansas is home to three institutions of higher learning.  UCA has 12K students. Then there is the Norbert O. Honors College. And Hendrix College with 1,300 students attending. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

UCA are the Bears.  Their mascot is Bruce D. Bear, who was preceded by Victor E. Bear.

Prior to 1921, UCA was known as : The Tutors, then... the Teachers. Followed by the Pedagogues, Pea-Pickers, and then the Normalities, before becoming the Bears. 

I used to tease my sister-in-law (who is from Nebraska and a huge Cornhusker fan) about the University's former team nicknames - Tree-Planters, Rattlesnake Boys, Antelopes, Old Gold Knights, Bugeaters.

But I think Pea-Pickers is the winner.   :)

Archived