Central Arkansas Pregame Thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Reacher said:

He knows from first hand experience. I agree with him on this one.

Actually, my second trip to Russia I visited a teen boys prison as part of a mission trip. Even though they chose the least troublesome boys  and dressed them up nice 'for the day' and put them in the best wing for us to meet. It was still not a place you wanted to become a resident in!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Actually, my second trip to Russia I visited a teen boys prison as part of a mission trip. Even though they chose the least troublesome boys  and dressed them up nice 'for the day' and put them in the best wing for us to meet. It was still not a place you wanted to become a resident in!

I haven’t been there since ‘88 (when it was the USSR under Gorbachev). OT as it is, would love to hear your impressions 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I haven’t been there since ‘88 (when it was the USSR under Gorbachev). OT as it is, would love to hear your impressions 

My first trip was 2000, and my first impression was some 50's black and white movie like 'the day of the dead'! Everyone walking around in black clothes without an expression on their face! I quickly found out, the fallacy of that thought, our translator explained that in the Soviet times you did not express happy emotions in public as people would wonder what you had that you weren't supposed to have. She said if you heard someone laugh in public they were either a drunk Finn or an American. That being said in a private setting Russians are very friendly and jovial! Especially when there is vodka! Now a days, things are more western, lot's of colors, shopping centers, McDonalds all over, the young people are not afraid to be happy in public, but the last couple of years, there almost seems to be a regression of sorts. Not to be political, in fact about the only political conversation I have had there, my friends daughter (she's 22) asked me what I thought of Trump last year. I gave her an honest answer, I said that Trump had gained power similar to Putin. In Russia people long for the days when they were thought to be the world power that everyone feared, and then her daughter finished the thought "Make America Great Again" 

Knowing that an American (ME) can be good friends with common Russians, and even go to the local store by myself to get Malako (milk) makes me seriously wonder what the world would be like if America and Russia could somehow figure out how to be friends!

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

My first trip was 2000, and my first impression was some 50's black and white movie like 'the day of the dead'! Everyone walking around in black clothes without an expression on their face! I quickly found out, the fallacy of that thought, our translator explained that in the Soviet times you did not express happy emotions in public as people would wonder what you had that you weren't supposed to have. She said if you heard someone laugh in public they were either a drunk Finn or an American. That being said in a private setting Russians are very friendly and jovial! Especially when there is vodka! Now a days, things are more western, lot's of colors, shopping centers, McDonalds all over, the young people are not afraid to be happy in public, but the last couple of years, there almost seems to be a regression of sorts. Not to be political, in fact about the only political conversation I have had there, my friends daughter (she's 22) asked me what I thought of Trump last year. I gave her an honest answer, I said that Trump had gained power similar to Putin. In Russia people long for the days when they were thought to be the world power that everyone feared, and then her daughter finished the thought "Make America Great Again" 

Knowing that an American (ME) can be good friends with common Russians, and even go to the local store by myself to get Malako (milk) makes me seriously wonder what the world would be like if America and Russia could somehow figure out how to be friends!

Nice story, sounds similar to my 88 trip, before the colors. Went as part of an IU-Duke trip. Funny moment was when we were wearing Butmuda shorts, white, and a babushka yelled “kak tebe ne stibno” (how can you not be ashamed) because she thought we were out in our underwear! Haha.

it was much the same then, as to the people. A group of us lost our MVD tail (obligatory back then) and went with a Russki family to their dacha outside Moscow, an invite just because we were American students and an amazing time on a beautiful lake surrounded by huge conifers. And of course all the Russian girls wanted to get to know us lol. 

Do they still have stores just call xleb or Molokoa? 

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Nice story, sounds similar to my 88 trip, before the colors. Went as part of an IU-Duke trip. Funny moment was when we were wearing Butmuda shorts, white, and a babushka yelled “kak tebe ne stibno” (how can you not be ashamed) because she thought we were out in our underwear! Haha.

it was much the same then, as to the people. A group of us lost our MVD tail (obligatory back then) and went with a Russki family to their dacha outside Moscow, an invite just because we were American students and an amazing time on a beautiful lake surrounded by huge conifers. And of course all the Russian girls wanted to get to know us lol. 

Do they still have stores just call xleb or Molokoa? 

Yes the bread and milk signs are still there, not sure what's in the stores though?

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

There are other streaming services out there that will pull IU games.  Keep in mind, this is Hulu LIve, not the basic Hulu.  I opted for Hulu Live, because for just $9.99 over the base price, they have an unlimited device option. Total comes to about $50.00/month.  Watch IU anywhere in or outside of the house.  Or on a smart phone or pad or lap top away from home.  One really neat thing during the football season, is that they offer the alternate games, while Xfinity here in Colorado does not.... which means I can view IUFB when Xfinity is covering a non IU game. Love it for watching movies at night in the summer, on one of my patios. 

The unlimited option on Hulu Live,  also allows one to view movies, tv shows, and other sporting events on your phone anywhere you go.  Make sure you have the strongest internet connection you can get. I do. And there is no lag time at all. And picture quality is better than cable HD. 

Thats what ive got.  The interface sucks and the feed can get kinda screwy at times, but its the best streaming option ive found so far (n ive tried about all of them).

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Thats what ive got.  The interface sucks and the feed can get kinda screwy at times, but its the best streaming option ive found so far (n ive tried about all of them).

Sounds as if you may have to upgrade your internet connection.  I have the strongest Century Link provides. And honestly have never had any issues with Hulu, Netflex or any other on either my Roku or Chromecast streaming devices.  Which reminds me.... talking to a Roku rep, when I set everything up. She recommend the best Roku and Chromecast devices.  Cost a little more than just a Roku stick, but worth every penny. I tend to use the Roku ultra, because it has it's own remote, where as Chromecast makes you use a smart phone as a remote.  

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sounds as if you may have to upgrade your internet connection.  I have the strongest Century Link provides. And honestly have never had any issues with Hulu, Netflex or any other on either my Roku or Chromecast streaming devices.  Which reminds me.... talking to a Roku rep, when I set everything up. She recommend the best Roku and Chromecast devices.  Cost a little more than just a Roku stick, but worth every penny. I tend to use the Roku ultra, because it has it's own remote, where as Chromecast makes you use a smart phone as a remote.  

Do you need both Roku and Chromecast for IU games? Or do you just have both for various purposes?

1 hour ago, INDenizen said:

Do you need both Roku and Chromecast for IU games? Or do you just have both for various purposes?

No, you don't need both. If I might, can I recommend the Roku instead of the Chromecast for you.  I got the Chromecast, because we have a Google home. But I don't use it for the Chromecast, preferring to use it for voice commands to turn various channels on on my Roku streaming device. 

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No, you don't need both. If I might, can I recommend the Roku instead of the Chromecast for you.  I got the Chromecast, because we have a Google home. But I don't use it for the Chromecast, preferring to use it for voice commands to turn various channels on on my Roku streaming device. 

👍 Thanks for taking the to answer my questions.

20 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I know man, it sucks.

IU _ 2 tv.jpg

Text book form! Wow!! I love the way he shoots. He may never be an incredible scorer but with Rob's shot he should always shoot a consistent percentage. Elbow in...hand above the ball...squared to the basket....kid has fundamentals that others could take notice!

Nice lift too!

One thing I worry about in these games is that the starters come out flat and spend too much time on the floor, thus increasing the risk for injury. I'd rather see IU take control of this one early and get some of the guys on the bench some PT. Not that I'd rather them get injured, I just would like to see us open a can of whoop a** now that we've proved we can win the close ones and get some of the players deeper in the rotation some valuable minutes. We may be counting on them come conference play, and I'd like for everyone to be at least somewhat acclimated real game-time play. 

20 hours ago, Drroogh said:

This very thought is the exact point of the song "Crazy Train." 

It's great lyrically; it's a shame that its been reduced to essentially a stadium crowd pleaser.

Archived