IU picks up Big Time QB Transfer

Indykev

34 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I am holding my expectations.  He didn’t play this year at Utah, makes me wonder why, and now the transfer.  Like I said after expecting Brandon to come in and own the QB spot I am keeping my bar low.

He was a true FR at a school that went 9-4. Dawkins really doesnt apply to Tuttle. Would you have said the same thing about Hunter Johnson who got beat out? 

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He was a true FR at a school that went 9-4. Dawkins really doesnt apply to Tuttle. Would you have said the same thing about Hunter Johnson who got beat out? 

It’s IU football I think it’s fair of me to be excited but not set my expectations too high.  Let’s at least see spring ball first.

This kid has the potential/intangibles to be an absolute stud.  Strong arm, great pocket awareness, ability to throw accurate darts on the run (even rolling away from arm side), and goes through progression when making reads/decisions. The fact that his highlight reel from his senior season alone is about 20 minutes long says a lot (video in link posted above). He wasn't playing cupcake high schools in SoCal.

All that being said, it will be interesting if those good habits and confidence transfer to the college game.  I'm really high on this kid.  If he acclimates to Bloomington well, he could have a big impact on next season if the eligibility issue goes our way.  I honestly expect him to be starting early in the season if not week 1 IF his transition to a new home is going smoothly this spring. He's a student of the game and has the things you can't teach in a short amount of time, if ever. 

13 minutes ago, rico said:

So he was going to red shirt anyway?

That looks like it was the plan. 

I saw a Utah fan saying that Jack was frustrated about being named the third string and was worried about having to sit around for a year or two and not start. 

Same guy also said that he believed Tuttle would've been the starter in 2020 as a sophomore.

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

That looks like it was the plan. 

I saw a Utah fan saying that Jack was frustrated about being named the third string and was worried about having to sit around for a year or two and not start. 

Same guy also said that he believed Tuttle would've been the starter in 2020 as a sophomore.

Sorry about their luck!!!!!!!

I may regret saying this but I think Debord with either Tuttle or Penix under center for an entire season wouldn't look nearly as bad. With a quarterback who a) has an arm, b) doesn't check down every other play and C) doesn't make the wrong read every other play...Debord may be ok enough to win 6 or 7 games........I can't believe I just said that

On 12/17/2018 at 12:31 PM, IU Scott said:

I can't see another position that Ramsey could play at the D1 level

Not a chance, you are correct. But let’s hold the noise for a while on this. We had a top QB transfer last year and that busted out. As for Deboring, it doesn’t matter. There is a reason he was being run out at Tennessee. The RB and this QB could be very big, but there is still some home grown poisonous elements around the team that really need to flush out. But, till the season is in mid year swing, everyone is a superstar. There is more to the QB transfer story than has been heard so far.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Does anybody know if he saw any game action at Utah?

So you have a west coast kid, who has seen no action, who was rated third on their roster, who might have been a little over ranked coming out of high school, who is coming from a lesser program..............and has to deal with Deboring.......man I hope he is mentally tough.

On 12/17/2018 at 6:37 PM, iuthruandthru said:

I am holding my expectations.  He didn’t play this year at Utah, makes me wonder why, and now the transfer.  Like I said after expecting Brandon to come in and own the QB spot I am keeping my bar low.

Pen is a very good prospect that needs developing. This kid will be fine, I’m just not a big fan of the high school qb’s that typically come from the west coast. Most are private type schools and over rated and not very tough, but if this kids dad played ball he will be fine. 

12 hours ago, Payday said:

Pen is a very good prospect that needs developing. This kid will be fine, I’m just not a big fan of the high school qb’s that typically come from the west coast. Most are private type schools and over rated and not very tough, but if this kids dad played ball he will be fine. 

I am generally in agreement with your opinions, and certainly your own football experiences as well as those of your son make you more qualified than almost everyone here on this board , however I do have to disagree with this statement.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Goff, Carr, Darnold....just off the top of my head, these are all qbs who went to California high schools. The first two are first ballot Hall of Famers , smith has had a solid career, and the last three are young and up and coming. All have had success at the highest level of play, though Darnold is really just getting started. 

I am certain that there are kids out there who don't pan out---certainly a lot more than the six I have mentioned. But having 6 starting qbs in the NFL all come from the system you describe as being overrated and soft, is just not accurate.

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am generally in agreement with your opinions, and certainly your own football experiences as well as those of your son make you more qualified than almost everyone here on this board , however I do have to disagree with this statement.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Goff, Carr, Darnold....just off the top of my head, these are all qbs who went to California high schools. The first two are first ballot Hall of Famers , smith has had a solid career, and the last three are young and up and coming. All have had success at the highest level of play, though Darnold is really just getting started. 

I am certain that there are kids out there who don't pan out---certainly a lot more than the six I have mentioned. But having 6 starting qbs in the NFL all come from the system you describe as being overrated and soft, is just not accurate.

You forgot about John Elway.  Just sayin'  LOL

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

3 hours ago, rico said:

I knew i would get kicked for that, hell I expected it. My point is that for all the hype and numbers in the state, in the last ten years they don’t produce tough qb’s. Now, Rogers and Brady, only a nut would discount them. Smith in my mind is borderline and Goff, Carr and especially Darnold are still out and waiting to see. Not at all a fan of Darnold and his slow release weak arm, but he was fromUSC so someone invested in the hype. We will have to wait and see. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

And just for you, John Elway was a football beast. He might very well be the best all round athlete QB to ever play the game. He was a student of the game and an unequalled athlete for that position. It is very rare to find a guy with that kind of natural talent who doesn’t rest on his talent and continues to study and work hard. In my opinion he is underrated. 

2 hours ago, Payday said:

And just for you, John Elway was a football beast. He might very well be the best all round athlete QB to ever play the game. He was a student of the game and an unequalled athlete for that position. It is very rare to find a guy with that kind of natural talent who doesn’t rest on his talent and continues to study and work hard. In my opinion he is underrated. 

If you cought his passes with your body instead of your hands, it hurt.  A tight John Elway spiral to unpadded skin would result in a red 'x' mark where it hit.

Archived