RIP Terry Hutchens

Bushmage

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never one to release a story based on rumor.  Terry first introduced me to internet news about good old IU, when he was at the Indy Star. At least 15 or more years ago.  Since leaving the Star, he has had several ups and downs, professionally. Mostly downs, until lately. Ran John Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout network for a while. Wasn't able to generate much of a following. Then, spent some time at B-town Banners, before finally landing on his feet for the Indiana Media Group/CNHI papers.  All through the process has written several books about IU.  I can't recall a time when he has ever said anything nasty about IU.  Just straight out reporting.

Many prayers to a legitimate good guy. 

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Never one to release a story based on rumor.  Terry first introduced me to internet news about good old IU, when he was at the Indy Star. At least 15 or more years ago.  Since leaving the Star, he has had several ups and downs, professionally. Mostly downs, until lately. Ran John Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout network for a while. Wasn't able to generate much of a following. Then, spent some time at B-town Banners, before finally landing on his feet for the Indiana Media Group/CNHI papers.  All through the process has written several books about IU.  I can't recall a time when he has ever said anything nasty about IU.  Just straight out reporting.

I did like his book Rising From The Ashes gave a good inside on what happened to the program after BK but some of it as mostly the articles he wrote for the Star.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Like you Mile, I started following his work when he was at the Indy Star.  I was living out of state and I would check every day for a new blog post with any info about the team.  He was probably my gateway to the wonderful world of IU message boards.  Prayers to him for a full recovery, and prayers to his family as well.  🙏🏻

As I read our board along with other IU fan boards.... one thing strikes me.  People ,Terry most likely never knew, nor was he  ever aware  of .... all to a person.... have nothing but kind things to say about him.  Rare in this day and age, I dare to say.

Just know Terry.  IU fans from all over love you, and are pulling for you. 

'Rising from the Ashes' was my first book I read by him, a Christmas gift from my parents after I told them I thought he was one of the only IUBB guys worth reading all of their tweets. It was a book I read really quickly, and usually I take forever to finish reading something even when enjoying it. Read 'Hoosiers Through and Through' next and kept up with all his IndyStar articles, never saw him be much of a clown or say something dumb. Terry is a true journalist, an increasingly rare kind of professional. Hoping he can pull out of whatever medical challenges he has ahead of him now.

Archived