Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I hope CAM did enough...glad Leal and Galloway was there...sounds like Marquette could be tough to beat out...distance could be deciding factor ..🤷🏻‍♂️...flip a coin at this point.

I don't think there is a question as whether the staff did enough. People always seem to lay too much blame towards a staff when a recruit chooses to go to another program. We see it here all of the time. You can only convey so much to a recruit how badly you want them and ultimately it's the recruits decision based on him and his family's wants, needs and priorties. To some families, distance is a high priority and if we lose Garcia, I would tend to believe that this could be a deciding factor.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see where he made a prediction in that sentence.  He cited what IU has to offer but no where he said he thought he was definitely going to IU

"Did they do enough? I honestly think they did."

I don't think anybody is going to boldly say "it's definite" about any recruit. It's a prediction. 

This recruit makes me wonder. Had we landed him earlier...would Love thought differently about his coming to Indiana. I think yes. He wanted to know there would be more pieces around him and CAM has done that. To me this is big for other OOS kids. We land Garcia and now they can honestly look and say that is an appealing roster and one that I can play with and be successful. Going forward we could be in the driver seat and not the back seat on many more of these high level recruits.

I don't know if anyone listened to the Lance Stemler interview on Hoosier Hysterics last week, but he gave some really good insight when it came to visiting Marquette's campus versus Bloomington.  CTC recruited him out of JuCo but he ended up here.  He said there was no comparison to the two campuses and that he didn't see how someone could go to Marquette if they had been to IU.

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

As many have said and opined here and elsewhere, it was a big weekend.

Recruits always have a good time. Always. And this didn’t seem any different. There was a lot of attention shown publicly by IU fans both when he was out eating (Buffalouie’s, Little Zagreb’s) and on social media. Even further when he was… out out. He was inundated with positive attention and vibes and the family clearly got a look and understanding of how big IU basketball is.

The relationship with Garcia and Leal, coupled with meeting many of IU’s freshman and sophomores, made quite a difference. The parents were very engaged. Both out at dinners and at practice. They were regularly asking questions to keep learning and learning. The Leal’s, Galloway’s and Garcia’s all sat together to watch practice on Saturday. During this time, Dave Garcia had a lot of questions that seemed to portray a man who was very, very, very interested in what was going on.

To me, the key here: How much of the great weekend will stay once the post-visit buzz wears off? Every kid has a great visit everywhere. And this was no different. It might have even been an amazing visit. But what about it will stay with him once Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday hits? That’s what remains to be seen and many will know later on when he and his Dad communicate to friends, family and a very select few in the media about where they are at.

My belief all along, and this dates back to June or July, was that Marquette and Indiana could be there in the end. I’m confident with what has been said privately that Memphis just isn’t in the plans and Minnesota was never a serious, serious option. Marquette can offer him the Howard usage (he graduates after this season) and they are the closest drive. The staff has been on him the longest.  That is pretty significant in my opinion.

Indiana can offer him one of the hardest-working coaching staffs and teammates who desire to make it to the NBA. Him coming in coupled with the return of most of IU’s team will draw the kind of pre-season hype that is being afforded to many others right now. And, given his ability to face-up, score inside and score outside… Him and TJD (a player he has cited privately as being “a monster”) is intoxicating to think about.

Anyway, not to dovetail. It was a huge visit and one that the staff has had their eyes on for a LONG time. Did they do enough? I honestly think they did. But, I’ll know more… we’ll all know more… sooner than later.

Go Hoosiers. - SS

Who are you? Are you part of the program? Live with Archie? 

29 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I like our chances but this does seem like Brooks all over in regards to the fact that Archie appears to have no back up plan yet again.  Miss on Garcia and we'd all better pray that TJD and Brunk stay healthy all next year.  Furst and Kaufmann also become both must gets.

Wasn't Brunk the backup plan when we didn't get Brooks?

If we have TJD, Brunk, Smith and Race, why do we need a backup plan? That's a good front court. If, 6 months from now, those guys aren't all around, there will be grad transfers and juco guys out there. 

Ok...ok...let's be honest here. There is NOBODY that could be a back up plan for Ketchup boy...and there would be NOBODY that could help us the same way Garcia would. Archie will continue to work recruits and look at grad transfers etc but when somebody wants a back up plan for kids like Romeo, Brooks, and Garcia let's be real. We will fill in the holes but kids of that level and caliber there isn't going to be a 1 for 1 equal guy to fill in. It just doesn't work that way if you aren't Duke, Kansas, UNC, or UK...and let's be real...we don't operate like those guys and probably never will.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Ok...ok...let's be honest here. There is NOBODY that could be a back up plan for Ketchup boy...and there would be NOBODY that could help us the same way Garcia would. Archie will continue to work recruits and look at grad transfers etc but when somebody wants a back up plan for kids like Romeo, Brooks, and Garcia let's be real. We will fill in the holes but kids of that level and caliber there isn't going to be a 1 for 1 equal guy to fill in. It just doesn't work that way if you aren't Duke, Kansas, UNC, or UK...and let's be real...we don't operate like those guys and probably never will.

I just love the fact that various forms of "Ketchuphead" has become his official HSN nickname.

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Garcia decides to stay home you can't blame the kid.  If he doesn't choose IU it will not be due to a lack of trying from the entire coaching staff.  My gut says IU.  We are due for something like this to happen

Stay home? Marquette is a 5.5 hr drive from his Minneapolis suburb. Southeast Wisconsin is not "home" for him and from all reports Minnesota is on his list as a courtesy.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Wasn't Brunk the backup plan when we didn't get Brooks?

If we have TJD, Brunk, Smith and Race, why do we need a backup plan? That's a good front court. If, 6 months from now, those guys aren't all around, there will be grad transfers and juco guys out there. 

Well because 2 of them will definitely be gone after next season.  TJD very well could be.  That would leave only Race Thompson with only 1 year of eligibility.  The 2021 class would need to be an absolute grand slam in that scenario.  

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well because 2 of them will definitely be gone after next season.  TJD very well could be.  That would leave only Race Thompson with only 1 year of eligibility.  The 2021 class would need to be an absolute grand slam in that scenario.  

Oh how i wish we were recruiting a kid named Denny......🤣🤣🤣🤣

45 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Stay home? Marquette is a 5.5 hr drive from his Minneapolis suburb. Southeast Wisconsin is not "home" for him and from all reports Minnesota is on his list as a courtesy.

5.5 hours is a lot closer to Garcia than what IU is so "could" view and consider it as staying home.

So with Romeo living in New Albany, it's not considered a suburb of Bloomington.  So was Romeo staying home?  One could argue yes and no.  Yes New Albany to IU is a lot closer to where Garcia is from compared to Marquette

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Garcia decides to stay home you can't blame the kid.  If he doesn't choose IU it will not be due to a lack of trying from the entire coaching staff.  My gut says IU.  We are due for something like this to happen

After last weekend, we are probably viewed as a Football school and my gut tells me that will probably push him to Marquette. :panic:

:coffee:

5 hours ago, CoachSS said:

The relationship with Garcia and Leal, coupled with meeting many of IU’s freshman and sophomores, made quite a difference. The parents were very engaged. Both out at dinners and at practice. They were regularly asking questions to keep learning and learning. The Leal’s, Galloway’s and Garcia’s all sat together to watch practice on Saturday. During this time, Dave Garcia had a lot of questions that seemed to portray a man who was very, very, very interested in what was going on.

That to me is one of the most important parts of the weekend.  The Garcia family got to spend a great deal of time and got a really solid parents point of view on why IU is the place for Dawson.

2 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

That to me is one of the most important parts of the weekend.  The Garcia family got to spend a great deal of time and got a really solid parents point of view on why IU is the place for Dawson.

This all day. As a parent, you have to feel good that the Leal’s are local. Don’t know the Leal’s at all, but have to believe they’ll make the other players feel welcome 

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

5.5 hours is a lot closer to Garcia than what IU is so "could" view and consider it as staying home.

So with Romeo living in New Albany, it's not considered a suburb of Bloomington.  So was Romeo staying home?  One could argue yes and no.  Yes New Albany to IU is a lot closer to where Garcia is from compared to Marquette

I think that's quite a stretch - a 5-6 hour road trip to another state is not going to be "home" to many.

Archived