Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This all day. As a parent, you have to feel good that the Leal’s are local. Don’t know the Leal’s at all, but have to believe they’ll make the other players feel welcome 

Mrs Leal is on this forum and is a very nice person. I am sure she treated the Garcias like long lost family members. How wonderful they could all do that together. What a great core group for the players.

I just can't see the attraction of Marquette.

I can see the attraction of MN, but Marquette should be a distant 5th IMO. Not because of coaching, just overall college experience. Wojo's not a bad coach, but the recent transfers are a significant signal, along with a former alum, now in the NBA who evidently isn't their best recruiter either...

I'm not aware of any stellar academic program(s) that MU has. They're probably not bad, but certainly not the Kelly School of Business, or Michigan's engineering dept, etc, etc.

To each his own I guess. (but this REALLY sucks)

Next !?!

18 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

He's visiting Marquette Nov 8-10.

Wonderful.

Why did Marquette extend Steve Wojciechowski?

So Marquette basically had 2 choices: extend Wojo and alienate a fed up fanbase, or fire Wojo and start from scratch. Letting Wojo coach for his job this season without any security would put 2020 recruiting completely at risk, and damage the program no matter who was at the helm.

And trust me, while the admins aren’t exactly effusive with their praise in public, Wojo does indeed have their backing, as the trajectory of the team has been seen as 100% positive, up until the Hausers transferred, at least. They didn’t want to rebuild and extend a 5 year stretch of poor results another 2-3 years.

This is a gamble. Wojo hasn’t exactly proven to be a home run. But Marquette is betting that sticking with him is better than starting from scratch.

But don’t get me wrong, Wojo’s seat is still plenty hot. If the results remain lukewarm, no extension is going to save him next Spring. The time for results is now.

https://painttouches.com/2019/05/07/why-did-marquette-extend-steve-wojciechowski/

16 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I know.  I really thought Archie was going to close on this over the weekend.  Lesson to myself...never be optimistic.

Yup...there was some build up to his visit that had me thinking this was going to be the one...but now Marquette is going to get the last say and they were the reportedly "leader"...but maybe,just maybe he wants to compare MU to IU and see if they are the better choice

34 minutes ago, DWB said:

I just can't see the attraction of Marquette.

I can see the attraction of MN, but Marquette should be a distant 5th IMO. Not because of coaching, just overall college experience. Wojo's not a bad coach, but the recent transfers are a significant signal, along with a former alum, now in the NBA who evidently isn't their best recruiter either...

I'm not aware of any stellar academic program(s) that MU has. They're probably not bad, but certainly not the Kelly School of Business, or Michigan's engineering dept, etc, etc.

To each his own I guess. (but this REALLY sucks)

Next !?!

I live fairly close to Milwaukee and ANYONE wanting a great college experience would never go there. EXCELLENT academic school but it is far from a pretty campus. Not much to do except Milwaukee and parts of that city is BAD (although pubs are AWESOME).

I don’t feel Marquette is a threat. Just me.

As a general rule, message boards tend to overreact, both positively and negatively.  Way too much positiveness floating around this weekend, apparently for no other reason than he was here on a visit..  Too much negativity now, for no other reason than he is visiting one of his other schools under consideration.    

No problem with Marquette visit. Nothing wrong with comparing what you feel and know just to make sure. My cousin is an IU undergrad and administrator at Marquette these days. As he always says and we all know....there isn't a possible comparison of Milwaukee or Bloomington for hoops or college feel. With that said kids choose schools for plenty of reasons. 

I'd prefer him to visit Milwaukee and know the second he's leaving that Bloomington felt right all along. Just wanted to make sure. 5 star recruiting folks. If you can't wait another 10 days I'd suggest following Purdue or Illinois recruiting. 

1 hour ago, Colonialcrester said:

Mrs Leal is on this forum and is a very nice person. I am sure she treated the Garcias like long lost family members. How wonderful they could all do that together. What a great core group for the players.

The Garcia's ate at Bufflouies. And Zagreb's.  Both great choices.  But. Had they had Mrs. Leal's meatloaf.... no doubt in my mind that would have sealed the deal.  Just having fun here.  As the clock is ticking on this announcement.

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

I can confidently say this was NEVER going to happen and was NEVER on the cards. 

There's nothing wrong with this. 

Why are they dashed? 

Why are you not optimistic? 

My point in all of this is that the emotional roller-coaster some put themselves through is... comical. Recruiting is fluid and there's no reason to think him going to a visit that he was most likely going to go on anyway, was going to be a bad thing.

Anyone who knows the first thing about his parents can understand why the Marquette visit, as was agreed upon previously, was always going to happen. They are honest people and they are true to their word. 

Hopefully this comes off the right way. 

Thank you for logic! Something that escapes many here!

Archived