Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Dawson.  What a great first name.  Rhymes with awesome.  Last guy I used the phrase...."Awesome Dawson"... played for the Chicago Cubs.  Andre Dawson.

Young Mr. Garcia. Come to IU. So we can call you.... "Awesome Dawson". 

Former NASCAR driver Bill Elliott, who hails from Dawsonville, GA was known as "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville". 

That has nothing to do with the recruitment of young Mr. Garcia, but since when have I ever let something like relevancy to topic stop me? :coffee:

21 minutes ago, Alishe Dobberstein said:

Totally understand the differences about choosing Marquette from IU. What is puzzling is why he is going to Marquette for another visit??!!

Garcia scheduled the Marquette visit this weekend before visiting IU. The Marquette visit wasn't a last minute thing.

Couple of posters on Marquette site joking about Ostrom taking Garcia to Chili's for dinner during the visit this week.

Bet they didn't see this on Dawson's Twitter feed. Whether it was Ostrom's idea or Garcia's, it was well played.

Prior Lake Hoops @PriorLakeHoops1 Nov 4

🌶Support PLHS BBB all November when you dine-in or to-go at Chili’s (Shakopee and Burnsville locations)! 🏀Just show your them this flyer...thank you

Dawson being trail man in our offense adds a check mate dimension.  So many times(currently) the 4 just catches it top of key for a quick reverse or looking to dump down.  Add Dawson and you are looking at a high level triple threat option on the top of the key that will be deadly, like Watford in years 3 and 4 right out of the gate.  

4 hours ago, rico said:

We are gonna have to stand in line on this one.  Minnesota thinks they got him.  Memphis thinks they got him.  Marquette knows they got him.  And then there is us patiently waiting for our next football game...

Finished it for you. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

If he goes anywhere other than IU it will be a shock. I won’t say “lock” because it bothers some posters but it’s close.  Things could change quickly however, but I don’t look for it.  Ostrom was big in this recruitment.

Does Ostrom ever have interest in being a head coach or can we pay him the same as a lower head coach to make sure to keep him? I have a really good friend who is an assistant for a D1 school and says he never wants to be a head coach as he is just is happy being an assistant and wasn’t sure if anyone knew how Ostrom felt. Ostrom seems to be a huge part of our success and if we ever lose him I feel it would set us back!

23 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Does Ostrom ever have interest in being a head coach or can we pay him the same as a lower head coach to make sure to keep him? I have a really good friend who is an assistant for a D1 school and says he never wants to be a head coach as he is just is happy being an assistant and wasn’t sure if anyone knew how Ostrom felt. Ostrom seems to be a huge part of our success and if we ever lose him I feel it would set us back!

I think it’s all personal preference. There are some who want to be head coaches and there are some who are perfectly content with being in the second chair forever. Take Bruiser for example. I think he would probably want to be a head coach again somewhere if he could. 

24 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Wouldn't be out of the question.  Different sport, but look at Bud Foster at Virginia Tech.  Will have spent his whole career as one of, if not the best, D-coordinators in the country.  Had many, many phone calls over the years, but he was happy where he was and good at what he did.

2 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I think it’s all personal preference. There are some who want to be head coaches and there are some who are perfectly content with being in the second chair forever. Take Bruiser for example. I think he would probably want to be a head coach again somewhere if he could. 

Being the lead assistant means more time for actual coaching, which is what some guys prefer. You don't have to deal with the administrative and media BS the head coach has to. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Being the lead assistant means more time for actual coaching, which is what some guys prefer. You don't have to deal with the administrative and media BS the head coach has to. 

True and to piggyback off of your bud foster there’s also Brent Venables in that same boat. Although I think they keep upping his pay he might even make more than tom Allen right now. 

19 minutes ago, IUskim said:

True and to piggyback off of your bud foster there’s also Brent Venables in that same boat. Although I think they keep upping his pay he might even make more than tom Allen right now. 

Base salary to base salary, he does.  $2M to $1.8M. 

Someone send that to Glass.

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

If he goes anywhere other than IU it will be a shock. I won’t say “lock” because it bothers some posters but it’s close.  Things could change quickly however, but I don’t look for it.  Ostrom was big in this recruitment.

For the record, 'shock' bothers me more than 'lock'.  :coffee:

15 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just a few things to add here: 

- There's a player who is part of IU's 2020 class that is of the belief that Garcia is coming to Indiana. It's a high school kid so take anything they do, anything they think and anything they are planning with a huge grain of salt. But, I do know that. 
- Someone who follows this recruitment texted me a line yesterday that I have heard repeatedly with this IU coaching staff: "They will not be out-worked." 
- A rumor about Archie not being at his media availability tomorrow is that he's taking a private charter up to Minnesota to see Garcia before he begins his Marquette visit. For those who know, once a recruit is on an OFFICIAL visit on another campus, contact cannot be made or had. It's a violation. Given that the NCAA Dead Period begins at Midnight Monday morning it's a shrewd move... IF true. Again, stressing the rumor part. And a recruits visit doesn't begin until he is ON campus. The rumor (again, rumor) is that Archie was going to fly up and see him before he boarded his plane. 
- Coach Ostrom flew up last night to have dinner with the family. That's a fact, not a rumor. 
- The signing period is November 13-20. So, it's about to be a wild few days. 

Go Hoosiers. 

Just awesome information. Many, many thanks!

38 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

- There's a player who is part of IU's 2020 class that is of the belief that Garcia is coming to Indiana. It's a high school kid so take anything they do, anything they think and anything they are planning with a huge grain of salt. But, I do know that. 
- Someone who follows this recruitment texted me a line yesterday that I have heard repeatedly with this IU coaching staff: "They will not be out-worked." 
- A rumor about Archie not being at his media availability tomorrow is that he's taking a private charter up to Minnesota to see Garcia before he begins his Marquette visit. For those who know, once a recruit is on an OFFICIAL visit on another campus, contact cannot be made or had. It's a violation. Given that the NCAA Dead Period begins at Midnight Monday morning it's a shrewd move... IF true. Again, stressing the rumor part. And a recruits visit doesn't begin until he is ON campus. The rumor (again, rumor) is that Archie was going to fly up and see him before he boarded his plane. 
- Coach Ostrom flew up last night to have dinner with the family. That's a fact, not a rumor. 

Go Hoosiers. 

I feel great about Archie as a recruiter. He is tireless and a hard worker and has a good history here and before at Arizona too. If Garcia doesn’t feel the love and goes elsewhere...it just wasn’t meant to be. I feel good about his recruitment. He would fit beautifully in our system and make an impact right away...just like Trayce is. I know Garcia has a good relationship with the Marquette staff but surely he feels the love we are showing him on multiple levels. Kid is getting 5* treatment from the staff and fans here.

41 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Go Hoosiers. 

Can't confirm the why, but can confirm that Archie will not be at a media availability tomorrow that he typically would be at.

Archived